Philip Glass

Started by Henk, June 01, 2008, 12:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 09, 2021, 04:19:06 AM
Hi, no I haven't. I don't think I have seen the original Bela Lugosi Dracula on film in its entirety, only snippets. Greg (GSMoeller) indicated the experience of watching the film with the Glass music as a "soundtrack" is quite an experience.
I imagine that it would be quite the experience!

I found another snippet here, and it's with the dialogue:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YfXRqKhciM

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

I have to say that so far in my Glass exploration that Symphonies 2 & 3, Violin Concerto and Cello Concerto No. 1 have been the most enjoyable. But of the symphonies, I've only listened to Nos. 1-5. I didn't like the 5th at all. I found it overlong for one thing and I think if it was condensed, it could've made a better impression. Anyway, I haven't been blown away about anything I've heard yet, but I'm keeping an open-mind.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 10, 2021, 06:22:02 AM
I have to say that so far in my Glass exploration that Symphonies 2 & 3, Violin Concerto and Cello Concerto No. 1 have been the most enjoyable. But of the symphonies, I've only listened to Nos. 1-5. I didn't like the 5th at all. I found it overlong for one thing and I think if it was condensed, it could've made a better impression. Anyway, I haven't been blown away about anything I've heard yet, but I'm keeping an open-mind.

Try the first string quartet
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mandryka on October 10, 2021, 06:27:01 AM
Try the first string quartet

I certainly will. :) I have all of the SQs coming. I think there's eight numbered ones so far.

Mandryka

7th quartet also not totally without interest. But IMO most of his important work is theatrical, and the magic's mostly lost on a sound only recording.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mandryka on October 10, 2021, 07:10:23 AM
7th quartet also not totally without interest. But IMO most of his important work is theatrical, and the magic's mostly lost on a sound only recording.

But if a piece of music is enough to stand on its own, it should still work without the theatrical element, right?

aukhawk

I dunno ask Wagner, or Puccini.  Even Bach's St Matthew Passion was written for a specific space with a specific - quite theatrical - distribution of musicians and choirs, and - according to Gardiner - used visual metaphor that would not have been lost on the audience/congregation, even though for most of them the musicians were hidden from view.

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 08, 2021, 06:21:31 AM
I'm sure I've shared this somewhere on this thread, but this is what turned me onto Glass initially. This is from the 1993 release of Einstein on the Beach on Elektra Nonesuch (see pic below). It's titled Knee Play 5, for solo violin, soprano and alto chorus, electric organ and speaker, and closes the opera.

I once played Knee Play 3 (a much faster piece from the same opera) quite loudly and my wife fled the house screaming, with her head clutched in her hands.  Since then, sadly, I have generally used headphones whenever I want to listen to Glass, or Reich.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aukhawk on October 11, 2021, 12:01:01 AM
I dunno ask Wagner, or Puccini.  Even Bach's St Matthew Passion was written for a specific space with a specific - quite theatrical - distribution of musicians and choirs, and - according to Gardiner - used visual metaphor that would not have been lost on the audience/congregation, even though for most of them the musicians were hidden from view.

I once played Knee Play 3 (a much faster piece from the same opera) quite loudly and my wife fled the house screaming, with her head clutched in her hands.  Since then, sadly, I have generally used headphones whenever I want to listen to Glass, or Reich.
Perhaps you can coordinate things the next time you feel like listening to one of those composers?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Rinaldo

I'm away for a while and John starts buying up Glass?