Philip Glass

Started by Henk, June 01, 2008, 12:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 19, 2014, 05:45:25 PM

Nice to see Nyman's name mentioned, for the past few years here on GMG I was beginning to think I was the only admirer of his music. Ever since I saw The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover I've been hooked on Nyman.

I got you pipped. I saw that because it had Nyman music.

The Gramophone called Nyman not even a composer. That would be enough to endear him to me! Back when I took their Bach reviews seriously: whatever they disliked I bought. "Pedantic" would send me rushing to the store.

I don't want to start a blood feud here but Nyman is a genius.

TheGSMoeller

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 19, 2014, 05:49:01 PM
I think all of the Minimalists are one-trick ponies. It's just that some of them have been milking it for far too long now like Glass and Reich for example. It almost reminds of me of someone who just won't acknowledge the fact that their 13 year old dog, who is deathly ill, needs to be put down. I think Minimalism in general is a dead-end street and, while some good works have popped up here and there, it's just not enough for me to continue to plunk down money to hear something that's been rehashed over and over again, but there are people out there that continue to support these composers, which is fine, not everyone enjoys the same things of course, but I think this whole movement has worn out it's welcome.

All IMHO of course.

Pistols at dawn, John, pistols at dawn.

;)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Ken B on February 19, 2014, 05:51:19 PM
I don't want to start a blood feud here but Nyman is a genius.

I think two fans of Nyman is enough reason to start his own thread, I've been waiting years to have some discussion on his music. 

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Brian

Next month there will be a new CD of Philip Glass duets for organ and didgeridoo. Now, I like Glass, but organ and didgeridoo sounds... intolerable  ;D

amw

I've sampled a few of Glass's works—Music in 12 Parts, the Dances, some of the piano music, his film score for that Beauty and the Beast thing. It sounded to me like 70s art rock, just without the rock. Or the art. Or being necessarily composed in the 70s. And then dragged out for an unnecessarily long time. Considering that all except the last are supposed to be from his "good period" I think I will leave him to his admirers.

I don't like any kind of groove- or beat-based stuff (drumkits, drum machines etc), I suppose that is part of the appeal of him and Nyman and Reich and Adams et al though. It is the music of our time, much more so than anything I listen to, however recent its date of creation.

Quote from: Brian on February 19, 2014, 06:05:14 PM
Next month there will be a new CD of Philip Glass duets for organ and didgeridoo. Now, I like Glass, but organ and didgeridoo sounds... intolerable  ;D

That sounds more like a La Monte Young album. >.>

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: amw on February 19, 2014, 06:10:40 PM
...I think I will leave him to his admirers.

We appreciate your kindness.  :)

Not even style points?

Mirror Image

Quote from: amw on February 19, 2014, 06:10:40 PM
I've sampled a few of Glass's works—Music in 12 Parts, the Dances, some of the piano music, his film score for that Beauty and the Beast thing. It sounded to me like 70s art rock, just without the rock. Or the art. Or being necessarily composed in the 70s. And then dragged out for an unnecessarily long time. Considering that all except the last are supposed to be from his "good period" I think I will leave him to his admirers.

I don't like any kind of groove- or beat-based stuff (drumkits, drum machines etc), I suppose that is part of the appeal of him and Nyman and Reich and Adams et al though. It is the music of our time, much more so than anything I listen to, however recent its date of creation.

Just give me some Stravinsky, Bartok, or Ravel and I'll die a happy man. 8)

Ken B

MI: One trick pony.

As Churchill put it, Some trick. Some pony.

The trick is counterpoint. Minimalists invented a new kind of counterpoint. That really is some trick.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on February 19, 2014, 06:33:10 PM
MI: One trick pony.

As Churchill put it, Some trick. Some pony.

The trick is counterpoint. Minimalists invented a new kind of counterpoint. That really is some trick.

Yeah, I mean it's a nice trick, but you can only get so much mileage out of it before you repeat yourself. Plus, whether the Minimalists invented a new type of counterpoint doesn't really mean that much to me. Like I said, it started off to be an interesting idea, but I think by end of the '70s that was about all that could be done with it. Of course, I don't really consider someone like Adams a true Minimalist in the sense that a work like Harmonielehre contained too much harmonic development to be considered a piece of strict Minimalism.

Rinaldo

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 19, 2014, 05:53:36 PM
I think two fans of Nyman is enough reason to start his own thread, I've been waiting years to have some discussion on his music.

There already is one.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Rinaldo on February 21, 2014, 03:00:19 PM
There already is one.

Hey Rinaldo,
Another Nyman thread was just created, this one didn't turn up in my initial search. Perhaps a moderator could combine them. Thanks!

Ken B

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 21, 2014, 03:10:54 PM
Hey Rinaldo,
Another Nyman thread was just created, this one didn't turn up in my initial search. Perhaps a moderator could combine them. Thanks!
Repeating Nyman threads ...

petrarch

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 19, 2014, 07:07:34 PM
Yeah, I mean it's a nice trick, but you can only get so much mileage out of it before you repeat yourself.

You can get plenty of mileage out of it... In much the same way C major hasn't been exhausted.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Ken B

Actually it sounds like the start of a GMG poll: 11 favorite works for organ and didgeridoo.

Ken B

Pretty quiet here.

Well, what can you say about Glass that doesn't just repeat what was said before?
::)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Ken B on February 26, 2014, 07:53:52 AM
Pretty quiet here.

Well, what can you say about Glass that doesn't just repeat what was said before?
::)

anyone seen The Perfect American? I'm considering the Blue Ray, curious about the quality of the BR and the camerawork of the production.

Karl Henning

Call it a tangent or a tribute, but my colleague and friend Joseph Fear (when I say I know Fear, he's the guy I'm talking about) just finished a piece called Glass Menagerie.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot