Did Shosty Write Anything For Organ?

Started by bvy, June 01, 2008, 05:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bvy

I'm just curious. I can't find anything. I expect there are interesting arrangements of his works for organ (recommendations?), but I wonder if he ever composed anything specifically for organ. And if not, why not?

springrite

Quote from: bvy on June 01, 2008, 05:55:59 PM
I'm just curious. I can't find anything. I expect there are interesting arrangements of his works for organ (recommendations?), but I wonder if he ever composed anything specifically for organ. And if not, why not?

The only ones I know are organ arrangements:
http://www.allegro.co.uk/dmitri-shostakovich-music-for-organ-p-3358.html

(poco) Sforzando

He wrote relatively little for solo keyboard to start with, and nothing for solo organ. Perhaps he found its rich timbre at variance with his pessimistic and ironic personality.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

The new erato

Not to mention that Stalin had a dim view of the buildings where organs usually are located.....

karlhenning

Regardless of the question of churches and Communism, there are no organs in Russian Orthodox churches;  there is not, therefore, any tradition of Russian organ music for church use.

It is a curious situation where, in fact, the few organs which are in Russia, are in concert halls.

Don

Quote from: karlhenning on June 02, 2008, 04:22:01 AM
Regardless of the question of churches and Communism, there are no organs in Russian Orthodox churches;  there is not, therefore, any tradition of Russian organ music for church use.

The Rabbi at our temple won't allow any organ music.  Using the Obama example, I must hate organ music.

greg

Quote from: karlhenning on June 02, 2008, 04:22:01 AM

It is a curious situation where, in fact, the few organs which are in Russia, are in concert halls.
lol, that must explain why all those OTHER Russian composers hardly wrote anything for organ, either....

bvy

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on June 02, 2008, 01:15:56 PM
lol, that must explain why all those OTHER Russian composers hardly wrote anything for organ, either....

Good point. I'm not finding organ music by Prokofiev, Scriabin, Tchaikovsky or Rach. I'm wondering now if any major late Romantic or 20th century Russian composers composed organ music.

lukeottevanger

Quote from: bvy on June 02, 2008, 04:36:06 PM
Good point. I'm not finding organ music by Prokofiev, Scriabin, Tchaikovsky or Rach. I'm wondering now if any major late Romantic or 20th century Russian composers composed organ music.

I've got a couple of pieces by Schnittke sitting on my score shelves. Some other stuff too, I'm sure....

Don

Quote from: bvy on June 02, 2008, 04:36:06 PM

Depends what you consider "major".  I know that Glazunov, Gliere, Taneyev and Gretchaninov composed some organ works.  Check out the "Tsar of Instruments" disc on Chandos for content.

greg

Quote from: lukeottevanger on June 03, 2008, 12:54:06 AM
I've got a couple of pieces by Schnittke sitting on my score shelves. Some other stuff too, I'm sure....
lol, he's "modern".

"who cares if you listen?......"

(who cares if there's organs in Russia or not to play my organ music?)  ;D

listener

2 Postludes (in d and F) c. 1925, no opus numbers
2 pieces op.111: Intrada, Funeral Music, memory of Aksell Gallen-Kalleia
an arrangement of the Passacaglia from Lady Macbeth...op. 29
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

jurajjak

Prokofiev was supposedly a good organ student when he was a teenager at the Conservatory. Though he wrote no organ works, there is a small, simple organ part in the Alexander Nevsky film score (not the cantata version, but the original film score), and small parts for organ or harmonium in Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet.

andrew

abidoful

Quote from: listener on September 19, 2010, 12:09:05 AM
2 Postludes (in d and F) c. 1925, no opus numbers
2 pieces op.111: Intrada, Funeral Music, memory of Aksell Gallen-Kalleia
an arrangement of the Passacaglia from Lady Macbeth...op. 29
2 pieces op111 are by Jean Sibelius, not by Shostakovich :o

eyeresist

Khachaturian's 3rd symphony must be mentioned here.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: eyeresist on May 25, 2011, 06:01:03 PM
Khachaturian's 3rd symphony must be mentioned here.

Oh, you must mean Katchy!  Way OT, I have always been embarrassed for people who don't have the gumption to write out Shostakovitch and resort to "Shosty".   ::)   

Certainly not you, Eyeresist, you even typed out Khachaturian! Thanks for that.   :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

eyeresist

Can't help feeling I'm being mocked here. I often write "Shosty", as it's just plain quicker.

It's often easier to abbreviate these crazy long European names. There is Knap, of course. I find "Rozdhy" saves me having to Google his name each time I write it (though I've almost got it memorised by now). Other Russian conductors include Kond, Mrav and Svet. There's also Celi, of course.

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Quote from: eyeresist on May 25, 2011, 07:03:52 PMThere's also Celi, of course.
wut? Short form not possible by definition. Must be Ceeeeeeeeeeliiiiiiiiiiiii.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: eyeresist on May 25, 2011, 07:03:52 PM
Can't help feeling I'm being mocked here. I often write "Shosty", as it's just plain quicker.

It's often easier to abbreviate these crazy long European names. There is Knap, of course. I find "Rozdhy" saves me having to Google his name each time I write it (though I've almost got it memorised by now). Other Russian conductors include Kond, Mrav and Svet. There's also Celi, of course.

No. I don't even know that about you. Simply mocking the thread starter. It is one of my pet peeves. "Rozdhy" is an exception though, since I can't ever remember how to spell it either. :D

The proper shortening of Shostakovitch is DSCH. Shosty is right out. :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

karlhenning

I mean, why not go flat-out Hollywood with Shosty baby?

Dmitri Dmitriyevich, thank you very much.