Alan Rawsthorne

Started by tjguitar, May 07, 2007, 09:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on July 13, 2019, 12:34:41 PM
Yes, Jeffrey, I have, the piano concertos are quirky works full of wittiness. The Symphonic Studies not yet (I think).

"Bitter sweet" sounds very apt to me.

The Symphonic Studies is arguably Rawsthorne's masterpiece so do give that a listen to Cesar.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 13, 2019, 05:43:47 AM
A most interesting CD.

A good trivial pursuit question (easily looked up on Wiki). What is the connection between Alan Rawsthorne, Constant Lambert and The Who?
There's an interesting companion disc featuring Lambert's own compositions:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 13, 2019, 11:02:12 PM
There's an interesting companion disc featuring Lambert's own compositions:

Who are performing Lambert's works, Jeffrey?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 13, 2019, 10:59:20 PM
I know that Lambert and Rawsthorne liked cats but not sure about The Who connection Lol.

I think Vaughan Williams liked cats too. Not that, though. A bit complicated (most British composers seem to have had a complicated love-life) so I will quote Wiki -

Rawsthorne was married to Isabel Rawsthorne (née Isabel Nicholas) an artist and model well known in the Paris and Soho art scenes. Her contemporaries included André Derain, Alberto Giacometti, Picasso and Francis Bacon. Isobel Rawsthorne was the widow of Constant Lambert and stepmother to Kit Lambert, manager of the rock group The Who, who died in 1981. Isabel died in 1992. Rawsthorne was her third husband; Sefton Delmar (the journalist and member of Special Operations Executive during the Second World War) was her first husband. Isabel was Alan Rawsthorne's second wife, the first being Jessie Hinchliffe, a violinist in the Philharmonia.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 13, 2019, 11:41:46 PM
Who are performing Lambert's works, Jeffrey?
Lol
The Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra (now RLPO presumably) for part of Horoscope and the Philharmonia Orchestra for other sections.

Philharmonia for 'Apparitions'

Sadlers' Wells Orchestra for 'Dante Sonata'

Philharmonia with Kyla Greenbaum (piano) and Gladys Ripley (contralto) in 'The Rio Grande'.

I'm currently listening to Lambert's performance of Rawsthorne's 'Symphonic Studies' from the companion disc. It is indeed a marvellous performance with great urgency.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 14, 2019, 12:01:36 AM
I think Vaughan Williams liked cats too. Not that, though. A bit complicated (most British composers seem to have had a complicated love-life) so I will quote Wiki -

Rawsthorne was married to Isabel Rawsthorne (née Isabel Nicholas) an artist and model well known in the Paris and Soho art scenes. Her contemporaries included André Derain, Alberto Giacometti, Picasso and Francis Bacon. Isobel Rawsthorne was the widow of Constant Lambert and stepmother to Kit Lambert, manager of the rock group The Who, who died in 1981. Isabel died in 1992. Rawsthorne was her third husband; Sefton Delmar (the journalist and member of Special Operations Executive during the Second World War) was her first husband. Isabel was Alan Rawsthorne's second wife, the first being Jessie Hinchliffe, a violinist in the Philharmonia.
Thanks. I knew that Rawsthorne married the widow of Lambert and read an interesting biogpraphy of Lambert years ago. The Who connection rings a bell. Both Lambert and Kit were buried or had their ashes deposited at Brompton Cemetry next to the block of flats where I grew up in London. I recall that, in a TV interview, Walton, on being asked what he thought of the modern music scene responded: 'Well, I don't like groups like The Who' which he pronounced 'Whooooo'.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 14, 2019, 01:24:05 AM
Lol
The Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra (now RLPO presumably) for part of Horoscope and the Philharmonia Orchestra for other sections.

Philharmonia for 'Apparitions'

Sadlers' Wells Orchestra for 'Dante Sonata'

Philharmonia with Kyla Greenbaum (piano) and Gladys Ripley (contralto) in 'The Rio Grande'.

I'm currently listening to Lambert's performance of Rawsthorne's 'Symphonic Studies' from the companion disc. It is indeed a marvellous performance with great urgency.

Many thanks for that Jeffrey. I have a recording of Gladys Ripley singing Elgar's "Sea Pictures". Well done to Pearl for featuring Lambert so strongly when apart from "The Rio Grande" he is largely ignored.

Rawsthorne's "Symphonic Studies" is one of my favourite Lyrita recordings but even that does not compare with the fire and as you say, urgency, that Lambert produces.

aukhawk

Quote from: vandermolen on July 14, 2019, 01:45:40 AM
Walton, on being asked what he thought of the modern music scene responded: 'Well, I don't like groups like The Who' which he pronounced 'Whooooo'.

Well - he obviously wasn't Talkin' 'bout my generation !

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 14, 2019, 06:03:38 AM
Many thanks for that Jeffrey. I have a recording of Gladys Ripley singing Elgar's "Sea Pictures". Well done to Pearl for featuring Lambert so strongly when apart from "The Rio Grande" he is largely ignored.

Rawsthorne's "Symphonic Studies" is one of my favourite Lyrita recordings but even that does not compare with the fire and as you say, urgency, that Lambert produces.

One of my favourite Lyrita LPs (and great cover photo of AR) and another great nostalgia trip!

vandermolen

Quote from: aukhawk on July 14, 2019, 10:08:44 AM
Well - he obviously wasn't Talkin' 'bout my generation !
Haha very true  :)

kyjo

I really like the elegant, witty, inventive PCs - Rawsthorne at his most accessible - as well as the later Cello Concerto, which is a bleak, defiant, and gripping work. Also, I sampled the 3rd Symphony recently which I found rather "grey". I do recall liking the Symphonic Studies.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Irons

An imaginative programme which boasts about the most unflattering image of Rawsthorne. Sadly the violin is recorded far too closely for comfort.

Irons

No better way then for my 1000th post to be dedicated to Sir Adrian Boult conducting Rawsthorne. BBC Radio Classics released a CD of a studio broadcast for radio from 1966 of Concerto for String Orchestra. I don't know what Sir Adrian was on that day but "driven" is putting it mildly! It is though he substituted a whip for his baton, The BBC first violins play as if their life depended on it - they had little choice! Not a first choice for this work, there must be others more polished and nuanced but I enjoyed the performance, warts and all, immensely.

The recording is a match. More analogue then digital with some hiss for good measure. But CD has an advantage in that not many cartridges are capable of tracking such a wide dynamic range. Again not perfect as the recording is on the edge without going over of what can be reproduced without distortion.
Modern recordings can sound too careful and sanitized in the quest for perfection. This 1966 performance isn't perfect but it is a blast. I bet Rawsthorne had a smile on his face as he sat by his wireless listening to his Concerto.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Irons on October 22, 2019, 11:59:23 PM

No better way then for my 1000th post to be dedicated to Sir Adrian Boult conducting Rawsthorne. BBC Radio Classics released a CD of a studio broadcast for radio from 1966 of Concerto for String Orchestra. I don't know what Sir Adrian was on that day but "driven" is putting it mildly! It is though he substituted a whip for his baton, The BBC first violins play as if their life depended on it - they had little choice! Not a first choice for this work, there must be others more polished and nuanced but I enjoyed the performance, warts and all, immensely.

The recording is a match. More analogue then digital with some hiss for good measure. But CD has an advantage in that not many cartridges are capable of tracking such a wide dynamic range. Again not perfect as the recording is on the edge without going over of what can be reproduced without distortion.
Modern recordings can sound too careful and sanitized in the quest for perfection. This 1966 performance isn't perfect but it is a blast. I bet Rawsthorne had a smile on his face as he sat by his wireless listening to his Concerto.

Your description of the Concerto for string orchestra has piqued my interest. I don't know it yet, so it will be on my listening list.

Irons

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 23, 2019, 11:25:10 AM
Your description of the Concerto for string orchestra has piqued my interest. I don't know it yet, so it will be on my listening list.

If you get around to hearing the concerto do pass on your thoughts.

Naxos have released a recording of the work which has received positive reviews.

Irons

Rawsthorne: Violin Concertos.

A curates egg of a CD. The 1st Violin Concerto recorded live (although you wouldn't know it) at the 1972 Cheltenham Festival is superb in all counts. Theo Olof's violin has a forward balance and the New Philharmonia are projected clear with strong dynamics.
The concerto consists of two movements the first of which is brooding and dramatic I was reminded of Shostakovich's 1st Concerto. Shostakovich also has his presence felt in the form of acerbic wit of the more urgent 2nd movement. Some lively moments but the broodiness does reappear only to be dispelled by a closing flourish by soloist and orchestra.

I'm not in a position to pass comment on the 2nd concerto as the recording is so drab as to colour my view of the work. Surprising, as unlike the 1st this is a studio recording made at BBC Maida Vale Studios in 1968. The violin is balanced back to be part of the orchestra which may be more truthful but I could not get on with this presentation. The recording itself was far from clear and lacked dynamics.

So a big thumbs up for VC1 and thumbs down for VC2. 

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 06, 2019, 03:18:50 AM
Rawsthorne: Violin Concertos.

A curates egg of a CD. The 1st Violin Concerto recorded live (although you wouldn't know it) at the 1972 Cheltenham Festival is superb in all counts. Theo Olof's violin has a forward balance and the New Philharmonia are projected clear with strong dynamics.
The concerto consists of two movements the first of which is brooding and dramatic I was reminded of Shostakovich's 1st Concerto. Shostakovich also has his presence felt in the form of acerbic wit of the more urgent 2nd movement. Some lively moments but the broodiness does reappear only to be dispelled by a closing flourish by soloist and orchestra.

I'm not in a position to pass comment on the 2nd concerto as the recording is so drab as to colour my view of the work. Surprising, as unlike the 1st this is a studio recording made at BBC Maida Vale Studios in 1968. The violin is balanced back to be part of the orchestra which may be more truthful but I could not get on with this presentation. The recording itself was far from clear and lacked dynamics.

So a big thumbs up for VC1 and thumbs down for VC2.

I have this CD. Must give it another listen. I had an uncle who worked for the PRS (Performing Rights Society) as a result of which my brother and I often were invited to hear those broadcast concerts from Maida Vale, where I lived in my early youth. In fact most of my family lived in Maida Vale! I recall a fine performance conducted by Walter Susskind of Prokofiev's music from 'Romeo and Juliet'. The audience for these concerts in the BBC studios was about 30-50 people if my memory is correct.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on November 06, 2019, 03:40:31 AM
I have this CD. Must give it another listen. I had an uncle who worked for the PRS (Performing Rights Society) as a result of which my brother and I often were invited to hear those broadcast concerts from Maida Vale, where I lived in my early youth. In fact most of my family lived in Maida Vale! I recall a fine performance conducted by Walter Susskind of Prokofiev's music from 'Romeo and Juliet'. The audience for these concerts in the BBC studios was about 30-50 people if my memory is correct.

Thanks for clarification Jeffrey, I did not realise BBC Maida Vale was open to the public.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 06, 2019, 11:46:24 PM
Thanks for clarification Jeffrey, I did not realise BBC Maida Vale was open to the public.
My pleasure Lol. I think that you have to write in but not sure what the situation is now as I'm talking about many years ago. We got in through my uncle, who once asked Sir Arthur Bliss (the President of the PRS) for his autograph, whilst standing next to him in a urinal. Sir Arthur replied 'Yes, certainly - as soon as I get my hands free old boy'.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on November 07, 2019, 07:10:17 AM
My pleasure Lol. I think that you have to write in but not sure what the situation is now as I'm talking about many years ago. We got in through my uncle, who once asked Sir Arthur Bliss (the President of the PRS) for his autograph, whilst standing next to him in a urinal. Sir Arthur replied 'Yes, certainly - as soon as I get my hands free old boy'.

;D