Alan Rawsthorne

Started by tjguitar, May 07, 2007, 09:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Sid on April 08, 2011, 09:47:54 PM
I read that he also studied architecture, so it's obvious that a certain sense of structure would be present in his music. & dentists do detailed work, so that sense of detail isn't missing from his music either (at least of what I've heard so far, which is the Naxos string quartets disc)...

That's true about architecture; but we shouldn't impute too much significance to this. ALL good composers have a "sense of structure" and a "sense of detail." (And apparently he never finished either his dental or his architecture degree, which doesn't say much for his study habits.)

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on April 08, 2011, 10:18:36 PM
I have found, when listening to Rawsthorne, that local anaesthetic and a glass of water never came amiss.

I will try to get hold of one of those tubes that sucks the saliva right out of your mouth, so I don't have to spit all the time.

formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Kontrapunctus

tjguitar: Have you heard Rawsthorne's Elegy for Guitar? It's a wonderful piece. He was writing it for Julian Bream but died before he finished it. Bream completed it based on sketches and some opening material. Amazon has a copy:

Mirror Image

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on April 10, 2011, 09:00:54 AM
tjguitar: Have you heard Rawsthorne's Elegy for Guitar? It's a wonderful piece. He was writing it for Julian Bream but died before he finished it. Bream completed it based on sketches and some opening material. Amazon has a copy:

tjguitar hasn't posted here in quite some time or at least he/she hasn't since I've been a member of this forum since June 2010.

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 10, 2011, 10:07:25 AM
tjguitar hasn't posted here in quite some time or at least he/she hasn't since I've been a member of this forum since June 2010.

OK, well, then that was for anyone who might be interested!  :)

calyptorhynchus

I've managed to avoid the music of Rawsthorne up till now, but recently I've been listening to the symphonies and the string quartets.

Can't get to like them, I don't mind the harshness, it's just that he never seems to relax or smile, can't work it out. Was he very angry or hurt about something?
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

J.Z. Herrenberg

I don't know a lot about his life... I think that if Humphrey Bogart had composed, it would have sounded like Hawsthorne. And the prickliness is in the name.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

I have the old emi recordings with Moura Lympany and Denis Mathews.They performances have a certain  atmosphere and commitment. I think they make the music sound a bit more rewarding than it is. His Practical Cats is on the same cd. Robert Donat is the speaker. I quite like this. Again,it has a certain atmosphere and Donat brings an element of clipped nostalgia. I wouldn't want to listen to it that often,though! Nice for an occasional listen,though and preferable to Webber!! ;D

vandermolen

I especially like Symphonic Studies - a very powerful work despite the academic title and the film music for 'The Cruel Sea'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

tjguitar

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on April 10, 2011, 09:00:54 AM

I am not familiar with this, but I will check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: there is also a Naxos recording.

snyprrr

Quote from: tjguitar on November 01, 2015, 03:10:58 PM
I am not familiar with this, but I will check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: there is also a Naxos recording.

great bream disc

snyprrr

String Quartets 1-3

I can enjoy Rawsthorne's cragginess, bitterness, and thorniness here, as long as I'm in the mood. Yes, there can only be joy here if you're ready for the sour dour, but, if you've just come off an avant-garde binge, something like 'Thorny may be a good tonic. These SQs fall much behind Arnold and Dyson i terms of memorability, but they aren't as maudlin as the younger generation's aggressive, violent bitterness (the 70s).

I wouldn't recommend these to anyone  who can't handle their discord. "Thorny" IS the word here!!!

aligreto

The first CD of Rawsthorne's music that I bought was one containing chamber music which I liked....

That was followed by some orchestral music....

I found his musical language to be a bit on the stark side and I never pursued him any further. I must revisit his music as I have not listened to it in some time.

Klaze

I wanted to like his music more than I actually did and kept trying with some pieces via Naxos now and then, but ultimately I decided to let somebody else enjoy my Rawsthorne CDs. It was all a bit too forgettable for me, and with so much other music to listen to, etc.
That being said, if you want to explore further, I think the Piano concertos and Symphonic studies are easy to enjoy. And perhaps the violin and oboe concerti.

Maestro267

I bought the Naxos recording of the three Symphonies. All great works, but No. 1 is my favourite. Dramatic attention-grabbing intro that sounds slightly dissonant.

aligreto

I will add the Symphonic Studies and the Symphonies 1-3 to my List.

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on November 07, 2015, 01:35:29 AM
I will add the Symphonic Studies and the Symphonies 1-3 to my List.
The best performance of the Symphonic Studies, considered Rawsthorne's masterpiece by many, is on Lyrita:
[asin]B000N8UVS0[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on November 07, 2015, 09:30:16 AM
The best performance of the Symphonic Studies, considered Rawsthorne's masterpiece by many, is on Lyrita:
[asin]B000N8UVS0[/asin]

Thank you for that.

vandermolen

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on November 07, 2015, 09:30:16 AMThe best performance of the Symphonic Studies, considered Rawsthorne's masterpiece by many, is on Lyrita: [asin]B000N8UVS0[/asin]
Fully seconded. Nicholas Braithwaite is often superb, in this kind of repertoire.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

tjguitar

Regarding the Lyrita album - If your local public library subscribes to the Freegal music database (primarily Sony), it also has the entire Lyrita catalog. I got 5 free tracks to download per week and 3 hours of streaming per day.