Arabella

Started by Big David, January 22, 2024, 08:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big David

I'm thinking of acquiring a recording of Strauss' Arabella.  Does anyone have any recommendations, either in CD or DVD?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Big David on January 22, 2024, 08:55:14 AMI'm thinking of acquiring a recording of Strauss' Arabella.  Does anyone have any recommendations, either in CD or DVD?
I enjoy this recording on CD with Lisa Della Casa and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau.

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Big David on January 22, 2024, 08:55:14 AMI'm thinking of acquiring a recording of Strauss' Arabella.  Does anyone have any recommendations, either in CD or DVD?

Della Casa was a famous Arabella. The Keilberth is mono and live, I think but probably better than the studio one with Solti, who, in his first complete opera recording, is just too fast.

I like this one, conducted by Sawallisch. Fischer-Dieskau is possibly a bit over-the-hill by this time, but Varady and Donath, as the sisters are wonderful and Sawallisch finds much more lyricism in the score.

On the other hand I rarely listen to the whole thing. It has it longeurs. There's a superb recording of highlights featuring Elisabeth Schwarzkopf and Joseph Metternich.

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Wendell_E

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on January 22, 2024, 11:38:32 PMI like this one, conducted by Sawallisch. Fischer-Dieskau is possibly a bit over-the-hill by this time, but Varady and Donath, as the sisters are wonderful and Sawallisch finds much more lyricism in the score.

I'll second that recommendation. On DVD, I've got the Met version, with Te Kanawa and Brendel, Thielemann conducting, good enough on the rare occasions I want to watch this opera.

Yesterday's listening:

I did listen to that Blomstedt recording of Leonore, lots of changes in practically every number. Many minor, words set to a different rhythm here, a vocal line that goes to an unexpected pitch there, some text repetition that was later cut down, but a few major differences:

The concluding fast section of Florestan's aria is completely different. Still talks about his wife, but no feverish vision of her.

A fairly extensive recitative before the reunited couple launches into the "O namenlose Freude" duet, which is longer than in Fidelio. They also have some dialogue after that duet, and the "O meine Leonore, was hast du für mich getan/Nichts, mein Florestan" bit occurs there, ending the scene.

The final scene has been considerably tightened up as well, and vastly improved IMHO, particularly the "O Gott, welch ein Augenblick" and concluding "Wer ein solches Weib Errungen" sections.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Big David

Thanks for the suggestions.