Maria Callas

Started by knight66, May 08, 2007, 06:16:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Sarastro on January 14, 2008, 04:35:41 PM
That was recorded in 1961 (at least I understood thus) but it is definitely divine!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZjQkvxIQkJw
I wish she recorded the entire opera.  :(

It's a fantastic recording, but La Divina doesn't suggest the 15-year old Juliet. Nor did she ever suggest the 15-year  old Cio-Cio San. Right from the start, she always sounded 'mature'. But for those countless touches of verbal enchantment, she is still unsurpassed. Her coloratura is exciting and nimble, conducted on a beautiful fil di voce. The loud notes above the stave give her away, though. But still, she gives an object lesson in singing: words in music as an integrated whole.

On this Youtube thread one can hear a vocally perfect Juliette (Sills) where one can't make any of the words. I mean none, whatsoever. And to hear the French Nathalie Dessay clumsily sing her way through the aria with much less musical elegance or verbal understanding is just astounding - in the wrong way.

Sarastro

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on January 14, 2008, 06:31:58 PM
And to hear the French Nathalie Dessay clumsily sing her way through the aria with much less musical elegance or verbal understanding is just astounding - in the wrong way.

And try Netrebko. I don't even understand what SHE suggests. In spite of noble dark timber and model complexion she has such a poor musicality, alas.  :(

Lilas Pastia

It helps that the youtube vid has the words, one can at least appreciate Netrebko's efforts - she's definitely above average. I also listened to Battle, Devia, Swenson and a couple of others. There's no doubt - none at all - that Callas has it game, set and match in conveying the music's poetry and musical style. Who cares about that raw and uncontrolled top? ;D

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on January 14, 2008, 06:31:58 PM
It's a fantastic recording, but La Divina doesn't suggest the 15-year old Juliet. Nor did she ever suggest the 15-year  old Cio-Cio San. Right from the start, she always sounded 'mature'. But for those countless touches of verbal enchantment, she is still unsurpassed. Her coloratura is exciting and nimble, conducted on a beautiful fil di voce. The loud notes above the stave give her away, though. But still, she gives an object lesson in singing: words in music as an integrated whole.

On this Youtube thread one can hear a vocally perfect Juliette (Sills) where one can't make any of the words. I mean none, whatsoever. And to hear the French Nathalie Dessay clumsily sing her way through the aria with much less musical elegance or verbal understanding is just astounding - in the wrong way.

I disagree about her Butterfly. She actually suggests the 15 year old far better than most, not so much in the lightening of the tone in the first act, which can sometimes sound a bit twee, but in the exchanges with Sharpless where she answers his questions in the straightforward, matter of fact manner that a child would do. In the love duet, she allows her voice to be slowly flooded with warmth, but it is only really in the very last aria, when left alone with her child, that she really lets out the full force of her voice. It is an incredibly detailed performance, which lifts the opera out of mere sentimentality and makes it into real tragedy.

However, I do agree that in Juliets' waltz song, recorded 5 years later, the voice doesn't sound for one moment like that of a 15 year old (nor for that matter does Gheorghiu in the complete recording with Alagna), but then a lighter voice would probably never be able to cope with the demands Gounod places on it later in the opera. I would single out for particular praise in Callas's performance, the complete change in vocal colour on the phrase Loin de l'hiver morose with its miraculous fades at the end of phrases. Admittedly, the top goes awry and there is an allarming flap on the final top note, but Callas's musical instincts never desert her.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Rod Corkin

Quote from: M forever on January 14, 2008, 04:37:51 PM
Mr Corkin is *always* right, no matter if I put him there or not.

I'm always right because I stick to the matters I know I am right about.  ;D

But a soprano is only as good as the music she sings, and most of what she is famous for is irrelevant to me.
"If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/classicalmusicmayhem/

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Rod Corkin on January 15, 2008, 02:59:07 AM

But a soprano is only as good as the music she sings, and most of what she is famous for is irrelevant to me.

Then that is your loss

Rod Corkin

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Rod Corkin on January 15, 2008, 03:05:11 AM
No, it is her loss.

But if you are not interested in her, or the music she sings, why bother contributing to a topic about her in the first place.

Rod Corkin

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on January 15, 2008, 03:08:19 AM
But if you are not interested in her, or the music she sings, why bother contributing to a topic about her in the first place.

I mentioned that by coincidence I held a poll on the merit of Callas at my site and it was 100% negative. Forgive me but I thought it was relevant to this topic. In my original post I didn't even state my opinion on the matter.

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Rod Corkin on January 15, 2008, 03:16:45 AM
I mentioned that by coincidence I held a poll on the merit of Callas at my site and it was 100% negative. Forgive me but I thought it was relevant to this topic. In my original post I didn't even state my opinion on the matter.

But what is your site? And who entered this poll? I'd be interested to know as the weight of opinion, generally, seems to be totally in the other direction, as I already pointed out earlier on.

Que

Quote from: Rod Corkin on January 15, 2008, 03:16:45 AM
I mentioned that by coincidence I held a poll on the merit of Callas at my site and it was 100% negative.

A 100% result makes any poll as relevant and credible as a Stalinist "election".

Q

Rod Corkin

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on January 15, 2008, 03:21:23 AM
But what is your site? And who entered this poll? I'd be interested to know as the weight of opinion, generally, seems to be totally in the other direction, as I already pointed out earlier on.

See my profile for the link to my site (you've obviously got signatures switched off!). Not a big poll so far looking at it (7 responses!) but my site is quite new. Maybe it will change a bit over time, or maybe not.

Rod Corkin

Quote from: Que on January 15, 2008, 03:26:25 AM
A 100% result makes any poll as relevant and credible as a Stalinist "election".

Q

Not if it is a free and fair poll. Unlike the the games you have here where people have multiple votes if they participate more!

Harry

In her youth a lovely dame to see, but for my money I rather not her her sing.
But I heard several interviews with her, and found her voice to be quite lovely.
And she had in some respects a tragic life indeed.
Okay let me be a bit more positive, I heard a few smallish things from her, in which she is neither singing loud nor long, and vibrato at a minimum, and I thought, Hmmmmm quite nice, what if the voice was trained in a different way.....

Rod Corkin

Quote from: Harry on January 15, 2008, 03:45:38 AM
Okay let me be a bit more positive, I heard a few smallish things from her, in which she is neither singing loud nor long, and vibrato at a minimum, and I thought, Hmmmmm quite nice, what if the voice was trained in a different way.....

I think that is the essence of the matter Harry.

M forever

Quote from: Rod Corkin on January 15, 2008, 02:59:07 AM
I'm always right because I stick to the matters I know I am right about.  ;D

Speaking of which, haven't you noticed yet that whatever you say is pretty much completely irrelevant for everyone here? Haven't you noticed that everyone is just making fun of you? Seriously now, are you that dense that you haven't noticed yet that you are just fulfilling the role of village fool here?

M forever

Quote from: Rod Corkin on January 15, 2008, 03:47:22 AM
I think that is the essence of the matter Harry.

I am not surprised you and Harry can agree on that. For both of you, music is just some nice background noise doodling around you. But you guys have to understand that for a lot of people, it can be much, much more than that.

Harry

Quote from: M forever on January 15, 2008, 03:49:07 AM
I am not surprised you and Harry can agree on that. For both of you, music is just some nice background noise doodling around you. But you guys have to understand that for a lot of people, it can be much, much more than that.

I know for sure M, that you have hit the wrong nail.
You speak as a chicken without his head, utter nonsense.
Background indeed.
Go wash your mouth.... :)

M forever

Quote from: Harry on January 15, 2008, 03:52:42 AM
You speak as a chicken without his head, utter nonsense.

How would a chicken without a head speak? That doesn't make sense. Yes, you and Mr Corkin do indeed inhabit the same sphere, it appears.

Harry

Quote from: M forever on January 15, 2008, 03:47:49 AM
Speaking of which, haven't you noticed yet that whatever you say is pretty much completely irrelevant for everyone here? Haven't you noticed that everyone is just making fun of you? Seriously now, are you that dense that you haven't noticed yet that you are just fulfilling the role of village fool here?

Nobody, not even you dear friend is playing a village fool.
You may not agree with Rod, that is quite okay, and good for a lively discussion, but it is not fair to call someone names, just because you don't like him.
The chicken without a head remark is a common saying in the Netherlands.
I thought that you must know that. :)