Maria Callas

Started by knight66, May 08, 2007, 06:16:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on August 13, 2010, 03:19:51 PM
I have to say that, for my taste, a little too much verismo creeps into Gencer's delivery of this bel canto role. She doesn't bind the fioriture into her phrasing the way that Callas does, nor is her legato as good and there is often the suspicion of an aspirate.  Compare it to this

I get your point. Mario del Monaco was quite a Pollione sought after by other Normas (and Adelgisas too) on the above playlist. Here is Caballe with plenty of legato to spare.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXaUWEy8BzY

ZB
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on August 14, 2010, 09:28:37 AM
I get your point. Mario del Monaco was quite a Pollione sought after by other Normas (and Adelgisas too) on the above playlist. Here is Caballe with plenty of legato to spare.

ZB

Ah, this is taken from the Orange performance, surely one of Caballe's greatest ever performances. Her singing is meltingly beautiful. Brava!

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Guido

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on August 14, 2010, 09:28:37 AM

ZB

Amazing! Time stands still...
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

DarkAngel

Bellini: I Puritani / Callas, di Stefano, Rossi-Lemeni, Panerai; Serafin  Bellini: I Puritani (Blu-Ray)

Just got the Netrebko Puritani DVD so I had to go back and listen to Callas........

This has to be one of her most treasured Cds, the sound is much better than I remembered (1953 recording with Serafin) and La Divina is really on top of her game here.......her confident dramatic delivery of main arias makes others seem timid by comparison, brings a smile to my face that someone would be this bold! I will always be glad to return to this version for inspiration

sospiro

Quote from: DarkAngel on August 26, 2010, 11:37:28 AM
Bellini: I Puritani / Callas, di Stefano, Rossi-Lemeni, Panerai; Serafin

Just got the Netrebko Puritani DVD so I had to go back and listen to Callas........

This has to be one of her most treasured Cds, the sound is much better than I remembered (1953 recording with Serafin) and La Divina is really on top of her game here.......her confident dramatic delivery of main arias makes others seem timid by comparison, brings a smile to my face that someone would be this bold! I will always be glad to return to this version for inspiration

DA - Is the CD a live recording?  If it is do you know of a studio recording?

Thanks
Annie

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: sospiro on August 26, 2010, 09:10:29 PM
DA - Is the CD a live recording?  If it is do you know of a studio recording?

Thanks

No this is a studio recording from 1953 (so mono) and Callas is in spectacular form, her voice so limpid it responds to her every wish. Both Pavarotti and Kraus (in rival versions with Sutherland and Caballe) are no doubt preferable  to the unstylish Di Stefano as Arturo, but Callas is superb. Though recorded after the first Lucia Di Lammermoor, it was the first of her EMI recordings to be released in the US, and the first with the La Scala imprimatur. Walter Legge wanted to make as big a splash as he could, and he certainly did. The ripples are still being felt to this day.

DarkAngel

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on August 27, 2010, 12:20:20 AM
No this is a studio recording from 1953 (so mono) and Callas is in spectacular form, her voice so limpid it responds to her every wish. Both Pavarotti and Kraus (in rival versions with Sutherland and Caballe) are no doubt preferable  to the unstylish Di Stefano as Arturo, but Callas is superb. Though recorded after the first Lucia Di Lammermoor, it was the first of her EMI recordings to be released in the US, and the first with the La Scala imprimatur. Walter Legge wanted to make as big a splash as he could, and he certainly did. The ripples are still being felt to this day.

The sound quality is so good for the Callas Puritani that when I looked for recording info I fully expected to see it was late 1950s stereo studio recording........
when I saw it was 1953 mono studio I was very impressed and must compliment the job EMI and Legge did on this release, bravo

Sospiro
There are competing sets from Sutherland, Cabelle, Sills but Callas is almost unstoppable here and would be my top CD choice especially with the good sound given her recording

DarkAngel

Callas has several EMI studio releases in 1953 all in the studio boxset:

Lucia Di Lammermoor - Feb 1953
I Puritani - Mar 1953
Cavalleria Rustcana  - Aug 1953
Tosca - Aug 1953
La Traviata - Sep 1953

Maria Callas ~ Complete Studio Recordings

sospiro

Many thanks Tsaraslondon & DarkAngel for your helpful & informative responses.  (You must get sick of my asking this) Do they come with full libretto?  :)

So far I only have one Callas recording & that's this Lucia di Lammermoor. I love it & love the fact that it's mono - it sounded very natural somehow but was disappointed the Wolf's Crag scene isn't included nor the three Lucia/Raimondo duets Ebben? - Di tua speranza; Ah! Cedi, cedi; Al ben de' tuoi vittima.

Is the I Puritani in the same series?
Annie

DarkAngel

Quote from: sospiro on August 27, 2010, 09:22:43 AM
Many thanks Tsaraslondon & DarkAngel for your helpful & informative responses.  (You must get sick of my asking this) Do they come with full libretto?  :)

The black box EMI individual opera sets do have large booklet/libretto with slipcover

The studio boxset has CD 70 which has libretti and photo collection

The EMI Great Recordings of the Century are newer releases and all have large booklet with slipcover, retail price is lower than black box......get this version whenever possible

sospiro

Quote from: DarkAngel on August 27, 2010, 09:29:24 AM

The black box EMI individual opera sets do have large booklet/libretto with slipcover

The studio boxset has CD 70 which has libretti and photo collection

The EMI Great Recordings of the Century are newer releases and all have large booklet with slipcover, retail price is lower than black box......get this version whenever possible

Annie

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: DarkAngel on August 27, 2010, 09:29:24 AM

One should also mention that in addition to the EMI black box Callas edition, which were full price, EMI issued a series of blue box Callas edition sets at mid price. These too all included libretto/booklet and slipcase. Most of them are live performances, but some are alternative studio recordings. The blue box sets are as follows.

Aida - live Mexico city 1951 - De Fabritiis
Macbeth - live La Scala 1952- De Sabata
Lucia Di Lammermoor - Studio 1953 - Serafin
Andrea Chenier - live La Scala 1955 - Votto
La Sonnambula - live La Scala 1955 - Bernstein
La Traviata - live La Scala 1955 - Giulini
Lucia Di Lammermoor - live Berlin 1955 - Karajan
Anna Bolena - live La Scala 1957 - Gavazzeni
Iphigenie en Tauride - live La Scala 1957- Sanzogno
La Sonnambula - live Cologne 1957 - Votto
Medea - studio 1957 _ Serafin
Un Ballo in Maschera - live La Scala 1957 - Gavazzeni
Il Pirata - live Carnegie Hall 1959 - Rescigno
Norma - studio 1960 - Serafin
Poliuto - live La Scala 1960 - Votto
Tosca - studio 1964 - Pretre

Of the live performances, essential are the Macbeth, Giulini Traviata, Karajan Lucia, the Cologne Sommanbula (though the Bernstein is pretty exciting), Anna Bolena and Un Ballo in Maschera. Of the studio sets, you already have the Lucia, but I'd say the second studio Norma, was also essential.

sospiro

Thanks  Tsaraslondon - very helpful.

I'm going to Milan soon & it would be great if I could find a performance at La Scala in the La Scala shop.
Annie

Guido

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on August 27, 2010, 04:25:53 PM

Of the live performances, essential are the Macbeth, Giulini Traviata, Karajan Lucia, the Cologne Sommanbula (though the Bernstein is pretty exciting), Anna Bolena and Un Ballo in Maschera. Of the studio sets, you already have the Lucia, but I'd say the second studio Norma, was also essential.

is there a Callas recording you don't own?  :)
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

DarkAngel

Quote from: Guido on August 28, 2010, 06:49:12 AM

Once you get into live recording there is an almost endless number of choices, more every day..... ;)

I recall previously TS mentioned his most treasured Callas CD is 1955 Divina label Norma

cata17_.jpg (27710 bytes)

http://www.divinarecords.com/catalogue/cata17.htm

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Guido on August 28, 2010, 06:49:12 AM

There are one or two live performances I don't have, though I've heard most of them. LOL

Actually, now that I think of it, I don't have the first studio Norma; the live La Scala of 1955 is so superior, and as a studio recording of the opera, I actually prefer the second, in stereo and with a superior supporting cast. Nor do I have the Lisbon La Travaiata, prefering, as I do, the Covent Garden performance of 1958. I do have the Giulini/La Scala one though.

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: DarkAngel on August 28, 2010, 10:07:33 AM

Once you get into live recording there is an almost endless number of choices, more every day..... ;)

John Ardoin's book The Callas Legacy is an invaluable guide through this minefield. Not all of them are worth hearing. I can't, for instance,  listen to those late 1970s concerts she did with Di Stefano and piano. I actually find them quite painful to listen to. Callas was just a pale shadow of herself by this time.

Quote from: DarkAngel on August 28, 2010, 10:07:33 AM
I recall previously TS mentioned his most treasured Callas CD is 1955 Divina label Norma

cata17_.jpg (27710 bytes)

http://www.divinarecords.com/catalogue/cata17.htm

If I were allowed only one Callas set (heaven forbid) then it would be a toss up between this Norma, and the Covent Garden La Traviata of 1958.

kishnevi

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on August 28, 2010, 03:12:05 PM
There are one or two live performances I don't have, though I've heard most of them. LOL

Actually, now that I think of it, I don't have the first studio Norma; the live La Scala of 1955 is so superior, and as a studio recording of the opera, I actually prefer the second, in stereo and with a superior supporting cast. Nor do I have the Lisbon La Travaiata, prefering, as I do, the Covent Garden performance of 1958. I do have the Giulini/La Scala one though.

Is there a Callas recording I have that Tsaraslondon doesn't?

The first studio Norma--is that the 1954 recording?  I think it's a very good one, and can only tremble in awe at the other two....

It's now available through Brilliant (the one I have) and through EMI's newest budget opera series, btw.  The Brilliant you need to download the libretto from their website; the EMI has the libretto and some of their usual Callosolatry for liner notes on a PDF.    I have the Brilliant, and for twelve dollars you can hardly go wrong. 

knight66

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on August 28, 2010, 03:20:32 PM

If I were allowed only one Callas set (heaven forbid) then it would be a toss up between this Norma, and the Covent Garden La Traviata of 1958.

TS, Is there any difference in sound quality between these two first alternatives?

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/search.php?searchString=+Rescigno+callas+traviata

Thanks,

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: knight on August 28, 2010, 11:49:08 PM
TS, Is there any difference in sound quality between these two first alternatives?

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/search.php?searchString=+Rescigno+callas+traviata

Thanks,

Mike

I don't know either of those, Mike. I have it on an old Virtuoso pressing, which is fine really. It was a BBC Third programme broadcast, so the sound is actually quite good anyway.
I keep hoping that Divina records will issue it. Failing that, it seems incredible to me that the Royal Opera House haven't issued it in their own Heritrage series.