The Gardens of Finzi

Started by snyprrr, August 03, 2017, 09:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on September 19, 2018, 06:06:43 AM
Interesting. He was blessed with crystal clear diction.

I do not have "In Terra Pax". Will look out for the work.

In Terra Pax is a lovely work to play at Christmas. There are several recordings.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Finzi's Romance for string orchestra is possibly one of the most heart-rendingly beautiful pieces of music I know. It deserves to be heard just as often as, say, VW's Tallis Fantasia and Barber's Adagio.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

André

Quote from: vandermolen on August 03, 2017, 10:03:02 PM
Love his music. He was related to the Italian-Jewish family featured in the Garden of the Finzi-Continis. In Terra Pax is a favourite although 'Dies Natalis' is his masterpiece I think. The Boult, Lyrita CD is my favourite for his shorter works:
[asin]B000N8UVR6[/asin]

I have always wondered about that, but thought it was just a coincidence. A truly wonderful movie.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on September 21, 2018, 06:29:34 PM
I have always wondered about that, but thought it was just a coincidence. A truly wonderful movie.
Finzi is an Italian-Jewish name apparently. I must re-visit that film.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

I've posted about this in the listening thread but I like Requiem da Camera so much that I thought I'd promote it again here. I especially like the Chandos recording. The work is in memory of Finzi's teacher Farrar (a great loss to music - try his 'Heroic Elegy' or 'English Pastoral Impressions' on Chandos) killed 100 years ago in World War One. Finzi was devastated by Farrar's loss. The work is very eloquent and should appeal to admirers of Dies Natalis or Howells's Hymnus Paradisi for that matter and Vaughan Williams. The notes describe it as '...a protest - a desperate cry for certainly in a faithless world. It is also a meditation on the achievement of all musicians killed or blighted by the Great War.'
[asin]B000000AO3[/asin]

Karl Henning

Cheers, Jeffrey;  I'll give it a shot.  (I do expect to enjoy the entire disc.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 14, 2018, 08:38:10 AM
Cheers, Jeffrey;  I'll give it a shot.  (I do expect to enjoy the entire disc.)

Oh, I'm sure you will Karl.
It's unusual for me to find a CD of works by three different composers and enjoy all the works equally. The Finzi was a newish discovery for me and is now one of my favourites work by him. Psalm 86 has always been a Holst favourite since I discovered it on my original LP of Dies Natalis (Wifred Brown/Christopher Finzi recording) in my late teens. Likewise Cantata Misericordium by Britten was coupled with 'Sinfonia da Requiem' when I took the LP out of a record library in Exeter in my student-teacher days. Sometimes I ended up appreciating the 'flip side' of an LP more than the main work featured; an example is of a Copland LP (Boston SO/Copland I think) where I ended up much preferring the 'Tender Land Suite' to the 'Appalachian Spring' and that is still the case today.

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

vandermolen