The Magic of the Poles

Started by mahler10th, June 10, 2008, 04:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maciek

I give myself 10 points for thinking right away: he probably has the Barenboim recording... And it was the only specific recording that crossed my mind!

I know you won't believe me but it's true. 0:)

(Perhaps it was because it's one I've never heard.)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Maciek on June 11, 2008, 11:38:32 AM
I give myself 10 points for thinking right away: he probably has the Barenboim recording... And it was the only specific recording that crossed my mind!

I know you won't believe me but it's true. 0:)

(Perhaps it was because it's one I've never heard.)

It's the only one I own (bought it because it was really cheap  ;D ) so I can't tell you if it's any good compared to other versions. On my first run through I heard nothing to disappoint. The Chicago brass are pretty spectacular of course. What version, or versions do you recommend?

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Maciek

Well, everyone says that Salonen's (which can be downloaded from amazon for something like a buck 8)) is the best. Haven't heard it yet, though. I know two different Wits and a Lutoslawski. All of them with the same orchestra (PRNSO). All of them are OK but I suspect that the Salonen is what we are both looking for. Judging by the number of people I trust who have recommended it, it must be one hell of a brain mismanager!

Maciek

Oh, and mahler10th, you have mail! :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Maciek on June 11, 2008, 01:20:03 PM
Well, everyone says that Salonen's (which can be downloaded from amazon for something like a buck 8)) is the best. Haven't heard it yet, though. I know two different Wits and a Lutoslawski. All of them with the same orchestra (PRNSO). All of them are OK but I suspect that the Salonen is what we are both looking for. Judging by the number of people I trust who have recommended it, it must be one hell of a brain mismanager!

Yes, now I recall all the reviews that raved about the Salonen. Not sure why I never bought it.

Sarge

mahler10th

Salonen and the LA Philharmonic is indeed the Polish Magic which I've got.  Also a recording from the Proms 1992ish which I'll have to look out.  To be honest, the music completely threw me when I heard it, threw me in a "This is music and I am no longer of this Earth" kind of way which both made sense and had me wobbling.  Hope the Sarge didn't drop his fork when he was listening to it.  Haven't heard the Barenboim version...

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: mahler10th on June 11, 2008, 01:52:04 PM
Hope the Sarge didn't drop his fork when he was listening to it.  Haven't heard the Barenboim version...

No, we timed dinner perfectly. The Concerto ended with our last bites, and then we held off dessert (strawberries and cream) until the Symphony was over. I really wanted to give it my complete attention. It was worth it.

Sarge

not edward

Of the half-dozen I've heard I like BP/Lutoslawski (the one on the Philips twofer) best: superb playing, and a composer's understanding of his own work. I find LAPO/Salonen a bit less well-played and just less convincing overall.

I've not heard Barenboim, though, or any of the recordings on Polish labels.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Dundonnell

I can handle Panufnik but the Lutoslawski of the four symphonies defeats me, I am afraid!

My problem, I know :(

Maciek

Not really a "problem". But perhaps you should try something other than the symphonies? How about Mi-parti?

But if even the 1st Symphony defeats you, then perhaps you really are beyond salvation... ;D Maybe just lay Lutoslawski aside for a while...

M forever

I thought this thread was about an Imax movie or something like that...

Maciek

What? Almost 18 hours have gone by and no one has posted in the best GMG thread?

Wait, let me think of something...

Bruce, I expect some interesting thoughts from you after tonight's "concert"! ;) ;)

mn dave

Maciek

Dundonnell

Quote from: Maciek on June 11, 2008, 04:25:53 PM
Not really a "problem". But perhaps you should try something other than the symphonies? How about Mi-parti?

But if even the 1st Symphony defeats you, then perhaps you really are beyond salvation... ;D Maybe just lay Lutoslawski aside for a while...

I like the Concerto for Orchestra. Does that count? :)

Greta

I really, really love Lutoslawski. My favorite discovery this past year.

The Lutoslawski 3rd conversation prompted me to get out what I had and listen to them last night...I have Luto's own, Wit and Salonen. I really think this is my favorite of his symphonies.

The Wit doesn't grab me quite as much in interpretation, there are details that get lost, yet there is nice character to the performance. Luto/BP are the only ones with good natural sounding recorded sound...something quite wonky is going on sound-wise in the Wit, like echoey.

I think the other two are about equal but different, Lutoslawski emphasizes the mysterious, silky qualities of writing in his piece, Salonen focuses on clarity and wit, with a more tightly wound, aggressive approach. Both are fine recordings. The Salonen disc also has the unusual work Les Espaces du Somneil for baritone and orchestra, and their great recording of the 4th (probably even better than the 3rd!) For some reason, listening to that recording Bartok comes to mind, playing up that angularity and spookiness a la Miraculous Mandarin. You can really hear the links between Lutoslawski and Bartok sometimes when exploring their output, besides in the Concerto for Orchestra.

I would really like to hear the Barenboim recording - I didn't realize the CSO is who commissioned the piece! Their Concerto for Orchestra I am really keen to hear, I like that work so much I'd like to start collecting different recordings of it.

I heard recently a broadcast of the Chicago SO in the Concerto under P. Jarvi, and it was awesome, really firey - a shame it sounds like Paavo's Cincy recording doesn't have that same bite. The sound clips I listened to sounded immaculate but too relaxed, too lukewarm.

Maciek

Quote from: Dundonnell on June 12, 2008, 04:22:28 PM
I like the Concerto for Orchestra. Does that count? :)

Of course it does! You should have said that all along. I'm not worried anymore.

Greta, which Wit do you have, the late 1980s one or the Naxos (1990s? I think)?

mahler10th

Quote from: Greta on June 12, 2008, 07:21:31 PM
I really, really love Lutoslawski. My favorite discovery this past year.

The Lutoslawski 3rd conversation prompted me to get out what I had and listen to them last night...I have Luto's own, Wit and Salonen. I really think this is my favorite of his symphonies.

See how superb this is?  I haven't met ANYBODY in Glasgow yet with whom I can discuss Lutoslawski.  It's fantastic when someone says something like the above.

not edward

Quote from: mahler10th on June 13, 2008, 06:22:39 AM
See how superb this is?  I haven't met ANYBODY in Glasgow yet with whom I can discuss Lutoslawski.  It's fantastic when someone says something like the above.
Do the RSNO still do a contemporary music series? When I lived in Glasgow in the '90s I used to run into a lot of people with interesting music taste there. (Similarly with some of the more unusual programs that the BBCSSO played.)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

mahler10th

Quote from: edward on June 13, 2008, 08:24:44 AM
Do the RSNO still do a contemporary music series? When I lived in Glasgow in the '90s I used to run into a lot of people with interesting music taste there. (Similarly with some of the more unusual programs that the BBCSSO played.)

The series still goes on, albeit no longer packaged as such (not to my knowledge anyway).  But they are fairly progressive in their output, that's for sure.  This Summer they've got something going on with Elvis Costello  :-\.  Yes, I do meet folk with a variety of interests and tastes in music, but...er...no-one who 'does' Lutoslawski yet. >:(