The Magic of the Poles

Started by John Copeland, June 10, 2008, 04:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Copeland

What is it with Polish Composers? 
They seem to access peoples brain pathways through the ears, and proceed to tie them up and throw them around a bit before tickling them and laying them back to where they were in the first place.  It is my experience with these composers (Lutoslawski, Penderecki, et al, but perhaps not Chopin) that they have a magnificent way of messing with our brains for a short time, leaving us in a state of wonder and near brain mismanagement.  They do things with music which is mostly unexpected and sometimes quite unearthly, making us think in entirely different ways about what we're listening to and our relationship with the World around us.
Superb.
Er...or maybe that's just me... ::) 

Maciek

And here I was, thinking you were starting a thread about the various "Antarctic" symphonies in history...

(Or was I, really? ;))

The new erato

I thought this was sexually oriented. Who wouldn't want a magic pole?

John Copeland

Quote from: erato on June 10, 2008, 09:14:08 AM
I thought this was sexually oriented. Who wouldn't want a magic pole?

How odd.

Maciek

Since this appears to be the first ever GMG thread about Poles not started by me (!), I will do my best to keep it afloat as long as possible by periodically dropping by and adding a few lines (of nonsense). Long live The Magic of the Poles! Long live near brain mismanagement!

And who knows, once in a while I might even try to actually contribute something to the discussion! :o

The new erato

Quote from: Maciek on June 10, 2008, 09:23:15 AM
Since this appears to be the first ever GMG thread about Poles not started by me (!), I will do my best to keep it afloat as long as possible by periodically dropping by and adding a few lines (of nonsense). Long live The Magic of the Poles! Long live near brain mismanagement!

And who knows, once in a while I might even try to actually contribute something to the discussion! :o
You have certainly done your bit in awakening my slumbering interest in polish composers which currently haven't gone much further than Chopin and Szymanowsky, with a few albums of Paderewski and X Scharwenka (fine chamber music and a marvelous piano concerto 4). Currently it stops there, but it won't do forever. 

mn dave

Maciek: The moderator who is never there. ;)

Anyone hear that Polish Spirit album by Kennedy?

Maciek

I heard it in concert version (on the radio) but I don't think it was the same concert as the one on the DVD. Anyway, I've had Mlynarski's VC for ages (with Kulka, one of my first classical CDs ever). And, frankly, I never really liked it. Now, the Karłowicz VC - that's a completely different story. Never too many recordings of that one! 8) (Have only got about 3, I think.)

Quote from: mn dave on June 10, 2008, 09:29:29 AM
Maciek: The moderator who is never there. ;)

It was truer than I thought it would be when I added it into my profile. ;D Think I should add it back in?

mn dave

Quote from: Maciek on June 10, 2008, 09:33:50 AM
I heard it in concert version (on the radio) but I don't think it was the same concert as the one on the DVD. Anyway, I've had Mlynarski's VC for ages (with Kulka, one of my first classical CDs ever). And, frankly, I never really liked it. Now, the Karłowicz VC - that's a completely different story. Never too many recordings of that one! 8) (Have only got about 3, I think.)

Thanks!

QuoteIt was truer than I thought it would be when I added it into my profile. ;D Think I should add it back in?

Aw, I was just joking.

Maciek

Incidentally, doesn't he (Nigel Kennedy) live in Poland or something?

mn dave

Quote from: Maciek on June 10, 2008, 10:37:18 AM
Incidentally, doesn't he (Nigel Kennedy) live in Poland or something?

Yes. He married one and is now running the country. Haven't you heard?

Maciek

Quote from: mn dave on June 10, 2008, 10:38:25 AM
Yes. He married one ... Haven't you heard?

Must have missed it... ???

Quote from: mahler10th on June 10, 2008, 04:53:46 AM
(Lutoslawski, Penderecki, et al, but perhaps not Chopin)

Do you have specific pieces by Lutoslawski and Penderecki in mind (just curious)? Who are the "al" (ditto)?

I think Chopin is capable of messing with our brains too. You should try the piece linked to here.

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Maciek on June 10, 2008, 09:33:50 AM

It was truer than I thought it would be when I added it into my profile. ;D Think I should add it back in?

A better alternative would be for you to be here more often.  $:) We all need a Pole by which to orient ourselves.

Maciek

This is starting to become my favorite thread. 0:)

lukeottevanger

We shall have words if that is the case.  >:(  I think you know what I'm talking about.

Maciek

"starting to become" is not the same as "is" $:) ;D (But I have to admit - I really have trouble keeping up with what is happening over there. 0:))

BTW, has anyone seen Sean lately (after all, he was the one who started it all)?

greg

Quote from: mahler10th on June 10, 2008, 04:53:46 AM
What is it with Polish Composers? 
They seem to access peoples brain pathways through the ears, and proceed to tie them up and throw them around a bit before tickling them and laying them back to where they were in the first place.  It is my experience with these composers (Lutoslawski, Penderecki, et al, but perhaps not Chopin) that they have a magnificent way of messing with our brains for a short time, leaving us in a state of wonder and near brain mismanagement.  They do things with music which is mostly unexpected and sometimes quite unearthly, making us think in entirely different ways about what we're listening to and our relationship with the World around us.
Superb.
Er...or maybe that's just me... ::) 
not just you  ;)

Quote from: Maciek on June 10, 2008, 08:56:45 AM
And here I was, thinking you were starting a thread about the various "Antarctic" symphonies in history...

(Or was I, really? ;))
hm, i know a few that are p-p-p-r-r-r-e-e-et-t-t-t-y          g-g-g-g-g--g-g-g-g-good.....

Maciek

Can't remember the last time I've been to a thread that was being read by more than 10 people at the same time! (And that includes "What are you listening to?"!)

greg

Quote from: Maciek on June 10, 2008, 11:23:51 AM
Can't remember the last time I've been to a thread that was being read by more than 10 people at the same time!
I guess when the guests see a thread title with "Magic Poles"......