Friday 13th coming up, holy crap

Started by маразм1, June 12, 2008, 08:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

маразм1

anybody care to share their superstitions?
mine is that if i leave my house and then realize I forgot something and have to come back, then it's bad luck. 

Wendell_E

Quote from: маразм1 on June 12, 2008, 08:06:12 AM
mine is that if i leave my house and then realize I forgot something and have to come back, then it's bad luck. 

My mother used to say that if you did that, you should make a cross in the road and spit in it.  She never actually did that, mind you, though she was always forgetting stuff and having me turn the car around (she never learned to drive).

I have no superstitions.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

knight66

I don't think I am superstitious; however, both of my grandmothers died not just on different Friday the 13ths, but Friday the 13th Dec years apart from one another. Now I think that is very odd.

My mother had/has lots of superstitions, rabbit's foot kept in her handbag, if she dropped a glove, she could not ask for it to be picked up, if she saw a single crow, someone else also had to look at it.

The first living creature into the house at new year had to have dark hair. So the dog would be taken out just before midnight and coaxed back in just after. He would have a small piece of shortbread and a silver coin taped to his collar.

If salt was spilt, she threw some over her shoulder, not walking under a ladder, not handing anyone scissors or a knife with the point towards them. If you gave someone a purse or wallet, it had to have some money in it. No pictures of owls were permitted in the house, no peacock feathers either....there were a load of them, more will probably come to mind shortly.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

greg

no, i don't have any, but i'm going to kill you on Friday the 13th.

ezodisy

isn't that a russian superstition? I've heard that if you do have to go back, you should look in a mirror...

маразм1

Quote from: ezodisy on June 12, 2008, 10:21:44 AM
isn't that a russian superstition? I've heard that if you do have to go back, you should look in a mirror...

Yep, i guess so.  In addition to that it's bad luck if a black cat crosses the road.  But regarding handing scissors and a knife, that's just common sense, so you don't stab the person you're handing these to.
d.

knight66

Oh, yes, mirrors, they had to be covered in a thunderstorm and care taken not to break even a tiny mirror; as it brought seven years bad luck.

A black cat walking in front of you was good luck. Itching in the left palm meant you were going to lose money, iching of the right palm, money was going to come to you.

All of it madness.

Mike

knight66

Scissors, knife and ladders, all sensible, but not to the fetishistic extent I observed.

Mike

greg

Quote from: knight on June 12, 2008, 10:28:09 AM
Scissors, knife and ladders, all sensible, but not to the fetishistic extent I observed.

Mike
Knife beats ladders, Scissors beats knife, and ladder beats scissors?  ???

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

bhodges

Quote from: Jezetha on June 12, 2008, 01:48:23 PM
It's my birthday (in 13 minutes).

Cool!  Happy 13th--I mean, Happy Birthday;D

--Bruce

mn dave

J.Z. Herrenberg

Thank you, guys!

And now this birthday boy is going to enjoy a short night's rest...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Anne

Lethevich

Happy birthday as well ;D

Different persons name, but they only had that one in stock. I would look lazy if I turned up with a boring normal looking cake...
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Florestan

Just imagine the bad luck that befell on those born on 13/13/1313... 
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

greg

Quote from: Florestan on June 12, 2008, 10:23:04 PM
Just imagine the bad luck that befell on those born on 13/13/1313... 

yes, every 13th month of the year is a terrifying one.

knight66

It happens only during a leap century.

Mike

PSmith08

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on June 13, 2008, 11:12:16 AM
yes, every 13th month of the year is a terrifying one.

Lousy Smarch weather doesn't help the mood one bit either.