The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Schumann's Shoebox

<< < (2/108) > >>

Bogey:

--- Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 07, 2007, 07:23:32 AM ---........ It goes without saying that the solo piano works are the piéce de resistance, but there is so much more to Schumann than that! :)

8)

--- End quote ---

Anything in HIP here Gurn?

lukeottevanger:

--- Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 07, 2007, 07:23:32 AM ---It goes without saying that the solo piano works are the piéce de resistance

--- End quote ---

Solo piano works and the lieder Gurn!  >:( These are his two main areas of activity and he excelled in both more than any other. I will not be kept quiet!! ;D

hornteacher:
The Piano Quintet.  Also the "Spring" Symphony, just because I played it in college orchestra and enjoyed it very much (especially the horn solo in the second movement).

Gurn Blanston:

--- Quote from: Bill on April 07, 2007, 07:24:36 AM ---Anything in HIP here Gurn?

--- End quote ---

I haven't run across anything in solo keyboard, but one of my very favorite symphony cycles, Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique/Gardiner, is totally HIP. They presented me with the first opportunity that I had to discover that a small orchestra and tight, precise playing, brought out the real genius of Schumann's orchestral abilities, which were all but obscured by huge, post-Romantic orchestral playing. The knock on him that he didn't know how to write for orchestra turns out to be totally without merit when you listen to an orchestra such as he actually did write for. ;)

8)

Gurn Blanston:

--- Quote from: lukeottevanger on April 07, 2007, 07:26:46 AM ---Solo piano works and the lieder Gurn!  >:( These are his two main areas of activity and he excelled in both more than any other. I will not be kept quiet!! ;D

--- End quote ---

Shhhhhshh! Those are a secret, they must not be revealed!! :o  ;D

8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version