The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Schumann's Shoebox

<< < (107/111) > >>

Mandryka:
The interesting thing for me is why works by Beethoven (op 131) or Gesualdo (Tenebrae) are deemed by "accepted wisdom" to be masterpieces even though they're certainly odd and possibly awkward, yet when it comes to poor little Schumann, he's pilloried and vilified. It's a question of the reception of the music, not a question of the music. Schumann's shocks to the establishment  haven't been reconstructed and absorbed.

vers la flamme:
If anyone would care to please recommend excellent recordings of Schumann's Lieder, male or female vocalist, I would be much, much obliged  0:)

hvbias:

--- Quote from: vers la flamme on May 27, 2022, 02:16:24 PM ---If anyone would care to please recommend excellent recordings of Schumann's Lieder, male or female vocalist, I would be much, much obliged  0:)

--- End quote ---

Hyperion probably have the most complete box, I've heard some individual volumes and they were quite good. As a whole if it's as good as their Schubert lieder set it's probably a must have.

Elly Ameling and Jörg Demus should have an easy to find CD on DHM. That is my single favorite Schumann lieder disc, but it's mixed with Schubert... part of the reason I like it so much ;)

Madiel:
I have the Hyperion box and enjoy it greatly.

Also have one of the albums done by Wolfgang Holzmair and Imogen Cooper. To be honest I haven’t listened for a while but have positive memories.

Great, now I’m going to have to bring my plan to relisten to the Lieder forward…

Mandryka:

--- Quote from: vers la flamme on May 27, 2022, 02:16:24 PM ---If anyone would care to please recommend excellent recordings of Schumann's Lieder, male or female vocalist, I would be much, much obliged  0:)

--- End quote ---

Gerhaher/Huber

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version