The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Schumann's Shoebox

<< < (108/108)

Jo498:

--- Quote from: vers la flamme on May 27, 2022, 02:16:24 PM ---If anyone would care to please recommend excellent recordings of Schumann's Lieder, male or female vocalist, I would be much, much obliged  0:)

--- End quote ---
The two most important cycles are the Eichendorff-Lieder op.39 and "Dichterliebe" op.48.
Despite a lame pianist, I like the Dichterliebe with Wunderlich for his glorious voice (filled with Schubert and Beethoven, I think). Despite his somewhat dry voice I also like the op.39 (+ op.48, although there are different, usually cheap, issues with different couplings) by Schreier/Shetler (they did most of the important Lieder but I don't know the rest very well, if one generally likes Schreier, it's probably worth getting the whole bunch cheaply from Berlin Classics).
As I also got a live Orfeo disc with Fischer-Dieskau singing op.39 and 35 this must have been very good because I have this singer also in several older studio recordings in boxes with this music.

Then probably the Kerner op.35 (a loose collection, a bit uneven, IMO) and the "little Dichterliebe" (i.e. also Heine lyrics and a similar theme) op.24. In addition to Fi-Di I like Pregardien/Gees.

I never really got into the main "female" cycle, "Frauenliebe und leben" but op.39 and op.35 are also frequently sung by women, although I tend to prefer male voices.

I also love the mixed recital already mentioned with Ameling/Demus (although I think more for the Schubert).

Florestan:

--- Quote from: vers la flamme on May 27, 2022, 02:16:24 PM ---If anyone would care to please recommend excellent recordings of Schumann's Lieder, male or female vocalist, I would be much, much obliged  0:)

--- End quote ---

Mandryka:

--- Quote from: Florestan on May 28, 2022, 04:53:04 AM ---

--- End quote ---

I have very much enjoyed the Schreier in the past, but I think that for me, for my taste in voice and style, Gerhaher and Camilla Tilling blows him away.

SonicMan46:

--- Quote from: Florestan on February 09, 2022, 04:49:34 AM ---In this respect an even better option is this:

--- End quote ---

Hi Andrei - boy, that Holliger box looks great - how consistent are the performances (e.g. symphonies vs. concertos)?  Unfortunately, expensive on Amazon USA (i.e. $60 USD) and not available as a physical package at my usual 'across the pond' places - I've been going through my Schumann collection the last 3-4 days, all instrumental, i.e. a lot of solo piano, chamber works, and the symphony performances shown below.

There have been many other recommendations for these works in the pages here - but for those reading the thread and wanting to add Robert's symphonies to their collection, then the ones below are worth a listen and consideration - I enjoy each one; for those interested, reviews are attached.  BUT, I must look further into that Holliger box and explore some of the 'used' sources -  8)  Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version