Author Topic: Schumann's Shoebox  (Read 108504 times)

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
Re: Schumann's Shoebox
« Reply #540 on: September 06, 2022, 12:51:09 AM »
I suppose the best way here as in many other cases is to get the one complete box that seems decent enough and get single disc support for the pieces one particularly cares about (or where one particularly dislikes the interpretation in the cplt box). I admittedly don't know the "neglected" pieces well enough (I have the Demus/Nuova Era for completeness but am not sure I ever listened to all of it) but I think that the important pieces are all covered in very good recordings outside complete boxes.

"Noveletten" might be the most neglected almost major collection (I think Arrau did all of them, and Ciani but both might be hard to find). Even for "Bunte Bl├Ątter" there are Richter or Egorov on single disc or duos.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #541 on: September 06, 2022, 01:19:22 AM »
I'm a big fan of Wilhelm Kempff in Schumann.

There are some lovely boxed sets of his recordings on DG including the "Original Masters" sets (not certain whether or not the OM are still available new in physical form or not).

If you're feeling like exploring, I imagine that there are some uploads on YT.   :)

PD

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #542 on: September 06, 2022, 01:25:28 AM »
I'm a big fan of Wilhelm Kempff in Schumann.

There are some lovely boxed sets of his recordings on DG including the "Original Masters" sets (not certain whether or not the OM are still available new in physical form or not).

If you're feeling like exploring, I imagine that there are some uploads on YT.   :)

PD

I already have a Kempff set of... I think it's 5 discs.

I'm not entirely a fan. This is part of why I'm looking for something else. As much as anything I'd prefer modern sound quality.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #543 on: September 06, 2022, 01:35:26 AM »
I already have a Kempff set of... I think it's 5 discs.

I'm not entirely a fan. This is part of why I'm looking for something else. As much as anything I'd prefer modern sound quality.
Good luck!  I'll be interested in finding out who you decide on and how well you like them.

PD

Offline Leo K.

• Veteran member
  • Author of 'False Barnyard'
    • Conceptual Music
  • Currently Listening to:
    Walton, Nielsen, Bartok, Janacek, Martinu, Dvorak, Shostakovich, Prokofiev
« Reply #544 on: September 22, 2022, 07:29:12 AM »
I'm going to have to bring my Kempf Schumann out, it's been too long. Thanks for the heads up!