Schumann's Shoebox

Started by aquablob, April 07, 2007, 08:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Quote from: dtwilbanks on September 21, 2007, 07:13:05 AM
Okay. I am confused. I thought we talk about recordings on the Great Recordings board, not in here...  ???

Sorry David....I just noticed that this thread had been dormant for almost 3 months and thought I would bring it back to life with my Schumann question, especially seeing that those that posted here must enjoy his works at some level to begin with and maybe own them as well.  I can ask a moderator to move it if you believe it derails the main purpose here.  Just let me know. :)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Quote from: dtwilbanks on September 21, 2007, 07:13:05 AM
Okay. I am confused. I thought we talk about recordings on the Great Recordings board, not in here...  ???

I absolutely agree. You are confused.  ;D

dtwilbanks

Quote from: Bogey on September 21, 2007, 04:11:46 PM
Sorry David....I just noticed that this thread had been dormant for almost 3 months and thought I would bring it back to life with my Schumann question, especially seeing that those that posted here must enjoy his works at some level to begin with and maybe own them as well.  I can ask a moderator to move it if you believe it derails the main purpose here.  Just let me know. :)

Hey, it's no big deal. I was just wondering. Any Schumann post is a good Schumann post.

Bogey

As posted on the purchase thread:

Well, after two weeks of sampling the Zinman, Gardiner, Szell, Eschenbach, and Sawallisch, I found that the Sawallisch just kept pulling ahead of the others for what I might enjoy.  Your assessment that the Sawallisch is "romantic and fullblooded" Harry seems to line up with the samples I have played over and over....and over. ;D  Thanks to all here for your opinions given over on the Shoebox thread.....this may have been the longest I have taken in choosing a particular set of recordings.

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Ten thumbs

I have just come from playing the Waldszenen. I always approach and leave 'The Prophet Bird' with a feeling of absolute astonishment. How Schumann thought it up I can't imagine. What are your impressions of this piece?
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

Don

Quote from: Ten thumbs on October 12, 2007, 12:16:32 PM
I have just come from playing the Waldszenen. I always approach and leave 'The Prophet Bird' with a feeling of absolute astonishment. How Schumann thought it up I can't imagine. What are your impressions of this piece?

Excellent piece with a tender middle section, but it's a long way from my favorite Schumann miniatures.

Ten thumbs

Not my favourite either but like the magic dragon it goes off in a puff of smoke. In some ways it really is prophetic.

B_cereus

Nachtstücke, op.23

#4 is my fave. Speaks to the soul.

Ten thumbs

Quote from: B_cereus on October 16, 2007, 01:39:54 AM
Nachtstücke, op.23

#4 is my fave. Speaks to the soul.
#3 too. the dynamism of the rhythms draw one ever onwards.

ChamberNut

Schumann's one of my top 5 favorite composers.

I enjoy all 4 of his symphonies very much.

Also his 3 string quartets, piano quintet and piano quartet.  I'm looking forward to getting some more chamber music of his in 2008.

His piano concerto is simply my number 1 favorite PC!

I'm lukewarm on his Cello Concerto, though.  And I had a listen to his not very well known unpublished Violin Concerto.  Eeek.  :P

I'm very fortunate that I get to hear live both his Piano Concerto and Piano Quintet this year!   :)

Don

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 07, 2008, 09:04:32 AM
Schumann's one of my top 5 favorite composers.

I enjoy all 4 of his symphonies very much.

Also his 3 string quartets, piano quintet and piano quartet.  I'm looking forward to getting some more chamber music of his in 2008.

His piano concerto is simply my number 1 favorite PC!

I'm lukewarm on his Cello Concerto, though.  And I had a listen to his not very well known unpublished Violin Concerto.  Eeek.  :P

I'm very fortunate that I get to hear live both his Piano Concerto and Piano Quintet this year!   :)

You've left out his solo piano works which I feel blows away his music in other genres.

ChamberNut

Quote from: Don on January 07, 2008, 09:10:21 AM
You've left out his solo piano works which I feel blows away his music in other genres.

Don, that's only because I have yet to hear his solo piano works.   ;)  I've only heard "Scenes from Childhood" Kinderszenen so far, and I thought it was marvelous!

Don

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 07, 2008, 09:13:23 AM
Don, that's only because I have yet to hear his solo piano works.   ;)  I've only heard "Scenes from Childhood" Kinderszenen so far, and I thought it was marvelous!

Great - just keep on going. Keep in mind that Kinderszenen contrasts the wonder of a child with the nostalgia of an adult.  That's rather unusual for Schumann's piano music; usually, the contrast is between Florestan and Eusebius.

Anyways, check out Kreisleriana and Davidsbundlertanze.  More compelling solo piano music has never been written.

Gustav

Quote from: Bogey on October 07, 2007, 10:32:33 AM
As posted on the purchase thread:

Well, after two weeks of sampling the Zinman, Gardiner, Szell, Eschenbach, and Sawallisch, I found that the Sawallisch just kept pulling ahead of the others for what I might enjoy.  Your assessment that the Sawallisch is "romantic and fullblooded" Harry seems to line up with the samples I have played over and over....and over. ;D  Thanks to all here for your opinions given over on the Shoebox thread.....this may have been the longest I have taken in choosing a particular set of recordings.

I have heard of all of the above excerpt for the Zinman and Eschenbach, but I find myself absolutely addicted to the Szell cycle. The sound quality is just amazing, and it just seemed that every note they played was flawless; the sawallisch is almost as good, but for some reason (I can't even say why) I didn't like it as much as the Szell one. The Gardiner is an entirely different approach, and some people love that, and some don't; The karajan one is good too, but the sound quality is not as ideal as the first two.

ChamberNut

Gustav, I have the Zinman w/  Zürich Tonhalle Orchestra set, and thoroughly enjoy it!  :)

Gustav

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 07, 2008, 09:45:42 AM
Gustav, I have the Zinman w/  Zürich Tonhalle Orchestra set, and thoroughly enjoy it!  :)

I'm glad to hear that, but from the several 30 sec clips i heard from Itunes, it's pretty nice. Btw, I forgot to mention Bernstein's cycle with WP, which is amazing, it is not the same when you have the WP playing Schumann.

ChamberNut

Well, I just had my first exposure to Schumann's piano sonata # 1 in F sharp minor, Op. 11, and I was completely blown away by it!  WOW!   :)

ChamberNut

For the 3 String Quartets, I recommend Fine Arts Quartet on Naxos. 

One of my favorite movements in the entire string quartet repertoire is the 2nd movement of the 3rd quartet Op. 41/3 in A major.

Others I can recommend:

Piano Quintet and Piano Quartet - Emerson String Quartet w/ Mennheim Pressler from Beaux Arts Trio

Piano Concerto in A minor - Jorge Bolet, piano; Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra w/ Ricardo Chailly.

George

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 07, 2008, 10:28:52 AM
Well, I just had my first exposure to Schumann's piano sonata # 1 in F sharp minor, Op. 11, and I was completely blown away by it!  WOW!   :)

Who was playing?

ChamberNut