Schumann's Shoebox

Started by aquablob, April 07, 2007, 08:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz

Quote from: DavidW on November 26, 2022, 08:26:49 AMI listened to the new Barenboim cycle.  All of a sudden I saw why the other cycle mysteriously vanished from the streaming platforms.  Anyway, this new recording was good but not revelatory.  Would like to sometime listen to that earlier set.

But the other cycle is owned by Warner, not Universal.

Todd

Quote from: DavidW on November 26, 2022, 08:26:49 AMWould like to sometime listen to that earlier set.

Which one?  This is his third recording of the cycle.  He recorded it with Chicago for DG and then with the Staatskapelle Berlin for Teldec, now Warner.  The Teldec/Warner cycle is the bomb.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

DavidW

Quote from: Daverz on November 26, 2022, 08:45:56 AMBut the other cycle is owned by Warner, not Universal.

Oh well then I guess it is just unlucky coincidence then.

DavidW

Quote from: Todd on November 26, 2022, 04:26:34 PMWhich one?  This is his third recording of the cycle.  He recorded it with Chicago for DG and then with the Staatskapelle Berlin for Teldec, now Warner.  The Teldec/Warner cycle is the bomb.

The Teldec.  Because I wanted to hear not only Barenboim but with that orchestra in particular.

lordlance

Quote from: DavidW on November 26, 2022, 08:26:49 AMI listened to the new Barenboim cycle.  All of a sudden I saw why the other cycle mysteriously vanished from the streaming platforms.  Anyway, this new recording was good but not revelatory.  Would like to sometime listen to that earlier set.

The second is quite good in my view. Barenboim being a good conductor unlike so much of his recorded work.
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.

Cato

While watching the original version from 1989 of The Lion King, I again note that Herr Hans Zimmer lifted part of Schumann's Symphony #2 (the Third Movement) for several dramatic scenes.

NO credit to Schumann at the end!

Anyway, I came across this televised performance, when I was showing Mrs. Cato where the music has come from:

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Cato

From Daniel Hogan, violinist:

QuoteCouldn't have asked for a more fulfilling, exciting and rewarding start to 2023, recording a piece as close to my heart as Schumann's extraordinary Violin Concerto 🎻 in @abbeyroadstudios with my incredible friend @laurechanviolin and my wonderful friends in the Sinfonia Perdita, especially our amazing guest leader @eunsleyviolin ❤️

An amazing experience recording for the first time and I'm so proud of what we achieved over 3 intense days, I believe we really did justice for such a special work. Stay tuned for the release and I cannot wait to share more!

I know that some people do not find Schumann's Violin Concerto very compelling, but perhaps it depends upon the performance (?).
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Cato on January 08, 2023, 05:28:39 AMFrom Daniel Hogan, violinist:

I know that some people do not find Schumann's Violin Concerto very compelling, but perhaps it depends upon the performance (?).

Love this piece and really excited to hear Daniel recording it! 🙂

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Cato on January 08, 2023, 05:28:39 AMFrom Daniel Hogan, violinist:

Quote from: OrchestralNut on January 09, 2023, 11:46:06 AMLove this piece and really excited to hear Daniel recording it! 🙂
Incredible, Daniel is achieving great things, I'm very happy for him! :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

lordlance

An excellent old-school full-bodied Schumann 4 for those looking to find new interpretations:

If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.

Abdel Ove Allhan

This is a superb recording of the Schumann Quartets. Incredible virtuosity, crisp rhythms, great live sound.
Music is the most essential yet practically useless endeavor in the entirety of human existence.Yet without music our existence would be comparable to the world of insects."The man that hath no music in himself Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils, Let no such man be trusted."W. Shakespeare

Abdel Ove Allhan

Kremer...Argerich...'nuff said.
Music is the most essential yet practically useless endeavor in the entirety of human existence.Yet without music our existence would be comparable to the world of insects."The man that hath no music in himself Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils, Let no such man be trusted."W. Shakespeare

W.A. Mozart

What do you think about the Piano Concerto in A minor (Op. 54)?

Piano: Radu Lupu
Conductor: André Previn
Orchestra: London Symphony Orchestra

vers la flamme

I like the Piano Concerto, but don't love it. Maybe I just need to give it more time, but being that it is a piano concerto from possibly my favorite composer for piano, I would have expected to like it a bit more.

kyjo

Quote from: Abdel Ove Allhan on April 18, 2023, 06:41:00 AMThis is a superb recording of the Schumann Quartets. Incredible virtuosity, crisp rhythms, great live sound.

Agreed! The SQs are amongst my favorites of Schumann's works, above all the masterful and integrated No. 3, with its inventive variation-form 2nd movement and sublime slow movement. It's undoubtedly one of the great SQs of the 19th century!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Herman

Quote from: Mandryka on October 12, 2022, 05:58:20 AMIt was a genuine question about the cello concerto, I find it really quite a challenge. Brahms, Joachim and Clara thought it shouldn't be published. On the other hand, Shostakovich orchestrated it. Furtwangler, Casals, Fournier, Rostropovich, Britten, Piatigorsky, Barbirolli, Kondrashin, Schiff, Haitink all played it. So I guess they all saw something of interest in it.

This is a rather late reaction, just to say I have always been a huge fan of Schumann's cello concerto. It's a unique piece. I have always loved it and the 2014 performance by Jean-Guihen Quieyras and the Freiburger Baroque really renewed that feeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3WwmtARbiE&t=822s

Atriod

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 07, 2023, 01:20:34 PMI like the Piano Concerto, but don't love it. Maybe I just need to give it more time, but being that it is a piano concerto from possibly my favorite composer for piano, I would have expected to like it a bit more.

I am curious if you've heard R. Serkin/Ormandy. For me this is the most beautifully lyrical performance I've ever heard for this work.

https://youtu.be/b5vh1BYnVNY

Daverz

Quote from: W.A. Mozart on May 07, 2023, 07:02:26 AMWhat do you think about the Piano Concerto in A minor (Op. 54)?

Piano: Radu Lupu
Conductor: André Previn
Orchestra: London Symphony Orchestra

What do you think of it?  The Ivan Moravec recording with Neumann was my introduction to it and still a favorite:

W.A. Mozart

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter