Schumann's Shoebox

Started by aquablob, April 07, 2007, 08:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: Herman on May 30, 2009, 12:11:03 PM
Isn't the Cello Cto one of Schumann's most exquisitely scored works?

Yes;  and the ironic upshot of Rostropovich's request is, that when he was in the West and programmed the Schumann, orchestras were disinclined to learn a new orchestration of the piece.  I don't know that he ever actually played the orchestration he asked of Shostakovich, outside of the Soviet Union.

Herman

Quote from: Drasko on May 30, 2009, 02:08:25 PM
Egorov, Sofronitsky, Freire

Egorov... I had forgotten about that one. I'll give it a spin soon, thanks.

Drasko

I particularly like the way he paces and builds the 3rd movement.

Guido

Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

robnewman

Quote from: aquariuswb on April 07, 2007, 08:11:59 AM
One of my personal favorite composers. The epitome of Romanticism, perhaps, and I love him for it. The piano works in particular strike a chord with me:

Carnaval, Fantasiestücke, Davidsbündlertänze, the Fantasie, Kreisleriana, Symphonic Etudes, Waldszenen, Kinderszenen, the Novelettes, Gesänge der Frühe, Concert sans orchestre, the F# minor piano sonata, the G minor piano sonata, etc. etc. etc.

What wonderful music this madman left the world! I haven't even mentioned his orchestral, chamber, and vocal music -- all of which is superb. Schumann is a master of contrast and emotional extremes. What are some of your favorites?

Yes, I agree. Schumann is for me one of the most talented composers. The piano concerto, the cello concerto, and the much neglected violin concerto are amongst my favourites. His symphonies are all very good. But I sense in the symphonies and impatience and a real determination to free himself of any formalism. He's one of my most favourite composers.

Guido

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 30, 2009, 05:04:30 AM
This may on the surface seem subversive to this thread, but my planned listening this weekend includes the Shostakovich re-scoring of the Schumann Cello Concerto.

What did you think? I'm really not keen - don't think it adds much, and the changed notes inevitably sound worse - sort of incongruent. The harp in the slow movement is a nice touch, but the movement is so beautiful as it is it seems to be a case of gilding the lily...
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

karlhenning

Quote from: Guido on June 09, 2009, 02:45:05 AM
What did you think? I'm really not keen - don't think it adds much, and the changed notes inevitably sound worse - sort of incongruent. The harp in the slow movement is a nice touch, but the movement is so beautiful as it is it seems to be a case of gilding the lily...

Well, I like it a great deal.  True, I also like the Schumann original, too; so you mustn't consider the fact that I enjoy Shostakovich's scoring of the piece, any criticism of Schumann.  Specifically, I have no quarrel at all with Schumann's orchestration.  To that extent, I agree that the Shostakovich doesn't add much;  it is truly a gratuitous exercise of creativity.  (I have not penetrated the fog of just why Slava made the request.) — but of course, I think that Mozart adding clarinets to Messiah is something gratutous, too.

snyprrr

DSCH re-orch of Schumann's Cello Cto.

Chandos was NOT the premiere. I had an old Olympia cd coupled with Brahms' Violin Cto. Anyone remember that? Also, it is difficult to hear the changes.

Schumann SQs:

I'm one of those who shy away from Schumann like a vampire from a cross (classical-romantic), but I just heard the Zehetmair Quartet's ECM recording of SQs 1 & 3. First point: why not record No.2 also? The cd is only 49mins.!!! Is No.2 really more than 30mins. long? I doubt it.

So, I'd thought Schumann's SQs were going to...well...suck, but, they come off to my virgin ears as quite the moody broody masterpieces. Even No.3 in A major seems to spend most of it's time is a relatively minor-ish mode. Both these SQs are the most elusive "Romantic" SQs I've heard, not at all like Brahms' more straight forward classical SQs. Yes, these SQs are deep in Poe country, verrry moody broody. I really don't think I've heard anything like them pre-1950. I just wish No.2 was on the disc: that is really irritating. I do, however, have to give the Zehetmair their due. The actual playing of these SQs seems to be coming from some very inward place. The nuances of tone and dynamics is extraordinary, certainly one of the most dedicated performances I can recall.

karlhenning

Quote from: snyprrr on June 16, 2009, 08:32:49 AM
DSCH re-orch of Schumann's Cello Cto.

Chandos was NOT the premiere. I had an old Olympia cd coupled with Brahms' Violin Cto. Anyone remember that?

Who was the cellist?

Nick

Schumann is one of the two or three composers I most enjoy listening to. In fact, I probably enjoy listening to him more than the music I've heard from any other composer from the 19th century.

I started collecting volumes from the Hyperion Schumann edition of lieder several years ago, finished it, and find it to be an embarassment of riches. Very consistent in quality, ranks among the best lieder sets.

It goes without saying that the complete Schumann piano music is in a class of its own.

I think he's underrated.

snyprrr

karlhenning

Dr. Dread

imperfection

Does anyone have an opinion on Mahler's reworking of Schumann's symphonies? I haven't heard the original pieces before, only the Mahlerlized ones, so I don't know what is improved or worsened.

Herman

Quote from: snyprrr on June 16, 2009, 08:32:49 AM
So, I'd thought Schumann's SQs were going to...well...suck, but, they come off to my virgin ears as quite the moody broody masterpieces.

So why did you think that?

And how do you feel now as a person who'd deliberately stayed away from classical-romantic composers because they were stale, and now it turns out you are enjoying them so much?

snyprrr

Quote from: Herman on June 18, 2009, 12:15:57 AM
So why did you think that?

And how do you feel now as a person who'd deliberately stayed away from classical-romantic composers because they were stale, and now it turns out you are enjoying them so much?

I thought they would suck because of my general "classical-romantic composers are stale" attitude.

However, I've never listened to Schumann's SQs before, and I found them instantly attractive (unlike Mendelssohn, for instance). I definitely did not find them "typical", whatever that would mean. Brahms' SQs may be "typical" in terms of "context", but I was quite surprised by them as well, thought the Schumann SQs are totally out of left field (whereas the Brahms seem more "traditional" to me (hence why I used the word "typical" (maybe not the bessst choice of words, I admit))).

How do I feel? I hope you're not fishing for "guilty"! ;D

For me, coming to Schumann by way of Xenakis seems to be the way God planned it for me. I applaud His strategy!

However, though I am curious to get that Tudor cd of Raff's SQ No.7 Die Schone Mullerin, I have a feeling that this SQ in particular might exhibit the tendencies that have kept me at bay for so long.

But please, don't get me wrong. I'm in a "learning" phase right now as per 1750-1850. I still might not necessarily "choose" to listen to the classical-romantic era for my own "pleasure", but I have uncovered some hitherto unrevealed masterpieces. Just check out the Haydn SQ thread to chart my "progress",haha.

It's just that that C. C. C. C. B...C. "classical" thing drives me bonkers.

A lot of this has to do with the fact that I've been staying at me mum's for the last six months, and I CAN'T play Xenakis!!! So, if you can't beat em...

But I think even Schumann's SQs might be too much for her!

But yea, my impressions of "wig" music are still in flux (not that that includes Schumann). I mean, if I'm considering cds by Gossec and Gretry, then I suspect that I may simply be suffering from OCD!

On second thought, I can tell you just why I've had problems with these eras: the MAJOR KEY. Many years ago, when I was doing my initial CL-RM research, the minor keys eluded me. This time around, I have a better idea of how to find what I'm looking for. I'm pretty sure that if I find an SQ in "c minor", for instance, I'm reasonably sure to enjoy the piece.

But, Haydn SQs are the key to my disdain, and lately, I've been able to get somewhat of a handle on the roots of my problems here.

Oy, I feel like I'm on trial here! ;D

Taxes-

A question about Schumann's piano works. I've heard the Richter recording of the Fantasy, Op. 17/Faschingsschwank aus Wien, Op. 26/Papillons, Op. 2 and somehow I've never been able to connect with it :(. I figure this has more to do with the compositions than the interpretations, because I do like Richter elsewhere.

There has to be other interesting pieces that I could try, right? I'd be a bit surprised to find out that the concerto is his only piano work that I like.

Moldyoldie

Quote from: Taxes- on July 04, 2009, 02:16:29 PM
A question about Schumann's piano works. I've heard the Richter recording of the Fantasy, Op. 17/Faschingsschwank aus Wien, Op. 26/Papillons, Op. 2 and somehow I've never been able to connect with it :(. I figure this has more to do with the compositions than the interpretations, because I do like Richter elsewhere.

There has to be other interesting pieces that I could try, right? I'd be a bit surprised to find out that the concerto is his only piano work that I like.

Though Richter's Fantasy in C is tops in my estimation, maybe he's a bit too "Romantic" for you.  Try the more sober and cerebral Kempff in his 4-CD one-stop-shopping box from Deutsche Grammophon; it can be had for around $20-$25.

Papillons, Op. 2;    Davidsbündlertänze, Op. 6;    Symphonic Etudes, Op. 13;    Kinderszenen, Op. 15;    Kreisleriana, Op. 16;    Fantasia in C major, Op. 17;    Arabesques, Op. 18;    Humoresque, Op. 20;    Novelette, Op. 99 No. 9 (from de Bunte Blätter);    Sonata No. 2 in G minor, Op. 22;    Nachtstücke, Op. 23;    Three Romances, Op. 28;    Waldszenen, Op. 82    
"I think the problem with technology is that people use it because it's around.  That is disgusting and stupid!  Please quote me."
- Steve Reich

SonicMan46

Quote from: Taxes- on July 04, 2009, 02:16:29 PM
A question about Schumann's piano works.....

Well, first welcome to GMG Forum!  ;D

You've already had one recommendation; another would be an 'inexpensive' 3-CD set w/ Klára Würtz - if she does not impress & you do not enjoy, perhaps Schumann is not for you?  Good luck in your explorations -  :D