Schumann's Shoebox

Started by aquablob, April 07, 2007, 08:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

I think I have listened to too much Schumann during the last 24 hours. I need a break. I go out to walk. Need fresh air...

:-X  :-X  :-X  :-X  :-X
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mandryka

Quote from: 71 dB on February 06, 2016, 03:25:32 AM
Ok. I am completely lost at what to buy. I should be exploring contemporary composers and now this Schumannia... ::)

That's totally natural and is just a sign that your on a well trodden path. Heinz Holliger is very interested in Schumann, buy his CD with Kreisleriana and his own Partita played Alexander Lonquich, and also try to hear his Romancendres, which was also influenced by something by Schumann (can't remember what)  Just looking quickly through the discussion above then I can say that I didn't get on with Bernd Glemser-- who to lack a bit of madness. I am clear that there is an absolutely essential recording of the first sonata though -- not Pollini IMO, but Virssaladze, on the label "Live Classics" I think, with op 22 and Waldszenen.

I know nothing about his orcherstral music,but I have listened to the chamber music, especially the wonderful Märchenerzählungen. Quite recently I listened to the string quartets in fact -- I heard The Leipzig Quartet -- I prefer Schumann's quartets to Brahms's.

As far as songs are concerned there are too many for me to think about right now. Dichterliebe is full of irony, and IMO noone is better in it than Brigitte Fassbaender.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

71 dB

Quote from: Mandryka on February 06, 2016, 05:59:39 AM
I know nothing about his orcherstral music,

How is that even possible?   ???

Florestan

Quote from: 71 dB on February 06, 2016, 06:18:42 AM
How is that even possible?   ???

That´s what I´d like to know too.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

jlaurson

R. Schumann, The Symphonies
Simon Gaudenz / Odense SO
cpo

German link - UK link

NOICE! That's some of the best Schumann I've heard in a long time. Reminds me of listening to Paavo's Beethoven.

71 dB

Since I already spent 2/3 of my monthly budget on that larger jpc order (Boccherini/Weinberg/Taneyev), I'm hesitant to buy Schumann right now. Maybe in March then...  :-\

At least I finally bought more Boccherini over a year after I initially planned doing so in the end of 2014.  ;D

Classical music is not about what you listen to and what you buy. It's about what you don't buy and listen to.

jlaurson

Latest on Forbes.com:

Classical CD Of The Week:
Danish Schumann With A Punch

Until not so long ago, Wolfgang Sawallisch's set of Schumann Symphonies was
the universal consensus reference-recording which conveniently meant that
thinking about new recordings wasn't necessary – nor listening...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2016/04/13/classical-cd-of-the-week-danish-schumann-with-a-punch/

Que

jlaurson

SonicMan46

Quote from: jlaurson on April 16, 2016, 07:18:13 AM
Thanks for reading!!!

Thanks Jens - excellent review and comments - just checked my collection of Schumann's Symphonies and just have Zinman & Gardiner - guess that I've not thought about these in a while?  SO - led me to look for some additional reviews - an excellent one from All Music and the usual Gramophone comments (I seem to never agree w/ them - maybe just me) (I've attached those reviews for others who may be interested) - BUT, I've put this 2-CD set in my Amazon cart - Dave :)

jlaurson

Latest on Forbes.com:
Classical CD Of The Week: Once-In-A-Decade Schumann

The three Schumann String Quartets (op.41/1-3) are not as present on the recital- or recording
scene as one might assume, given the fame of the composer and the relative popularity of the
genre. We notice this when there comes a recording our way – as seems to happen every decade
or so – that turns our heads and makes us go: "Woha! Right – those works!"...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2016/05/19/classicalcdoftheweek_schumann_hermes-quartet_la-dolce-volta/#5147bc8c345a

kishnevi

Quote from: jlaurson on May 19, 2016, 03:03:15 PM
Latest on Forbes.com:
Classical CD Of The Week: Once-In-A-Decade Schumann

The three Schumann String Quartets (op.41/1-3) are not as present on the recital- or recording
scene as one might assume, given the fame of the composer and the relative popularity of the
genre. We notice this when there comes a recording our way – as seems to happen every decade
or so – that turns our heads and makes us go: "Woha! Right – those works!"...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2016/05/19/classicalcdoftheweek_schumann_hermes-quartet_la-dolce-volta/#5147bc8c345a

Jens, did you ever hear the Ysaye Quartet in these works.  Perhaps a matter of imprinting, but I have never found a set that pleased me better.

jlaurson

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 19, 2016, 06:13:23 PM
Jens, did you ever hear the Ysaye Quartet in these works.  Perhaps a matter of imprinting, but I have never found a set that pleased me better.

Yes, I (must) have; I know I have the CD. But to be honest, I don't remember it. I wouldn't suggest that that is in any way indicative of its quality. But it fit my narrative.  ;)

Parsifal

It has taken me until now to listen to a recording of Schumann's cello concerto. A noble work, and Janos Starker's recording with Giulini from the 50's is gorgeous for Starker's commanding tone and sensibility. Fine music and music making.

jlaurson

Listening to Rattle's Berlin Schumann cycle... and frankly, it's a bore. Was suspecting razor-sharp awesomeness a la his Brahms... but instead it strikes me as middle-of-the-road; perhaps fast... but not exacting nor exciting.

SurprisedByBeauty

Classical CD Of The Week: Schumann Triptych Continued

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2016/10/05/classical-cd-of-the-week-schuman-triptych-continued-2/#46f90b5b2733

I'm trying to make these CD of the Week posts as varying as possible, but it seems, looking through this thread, that they have a surprising Schumann-heavy side to them, in the romantic field. Which is strange, since I never thought myself such a Schumann-maven. Except that, yes, I really have come around to late Schumann in the last seven or so years.

amw

OK this is probably a dumb question, but is No. 8 of the Albumblätter "Lied ohne Ende" or "Leid ohne Ende"? The first one makes more sense, but I've seen both.

Madiel

Lied.

You've seen both because people make typos, especially when they're dealing with another language.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!