[GAME] Round 2 - Guess the 20th Century Composer

Started by James, June 14, 2008, 08:18:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

Came up with one more for folks to take a crack at...

To play, all you have to do is listen to the small clips, and take a guess who the 20th century composer is for each one, and then reply in this thread with your answers/guesses. It's ok to list the names of the composers or at least their initials so that we know that you do in fact know the answers....rather than saying "i know this one"...if for some reason you don't want to list the name or initials of the composer just send me a PM with your answers. A good suggestion for this game is that everyone who wants to make a guess, doesn't read any of the others until they have listened to the examples and posted.

Clip 1 (26 sec.), Clip 2 (35 sec.), Clip 3 (56 sec.),
Clip 4 (30 sec.), Clip 5 (60 sec.), Clip 6 (33 sec.)

download clips here: http://www.speedyshare.com/837559275.html
Action is the only truth

Drasko

Ok, I'll pick the easy ones before Edward comes along

2 - Rodrigo - Concierto de Aranjuez (Adagio)
4 - Gershwin - Rhapsody in Blue

Brian

2 and 4 could hardly be easier. It should be noted, though, that 4 is a cut version of the Rhapsody - travesty!  >:(

ezodisy

Chrone

Clip 5: Rzewski, "The People United Will Never Be Defeated!"

The new erato

3. Dutilleux - 2nd symphony

One of several very great symphonies lacking in the 100 greatest symphonies thread.

John Copeland

The new erato

Quote from: James on June 15, 2008, 07:47:01 AM
you folks are good; 2-5 have been correctly answered. That leaves 1 & 6, each piece composed by an American.

ps erato, the Dutilleux is from his 1st Symphony; just as excellent as his 2nd.
That's true....didn't check but recognized the music immediately and since I'm more familiar with the 2nd I went for it. Now I realize I know the first one better than I thought, agree with you about the quality but it seems its always the 2nd that is pulled out as an example of great symphonic writing!

John Copeland

Quote from: James on June 15, 2008, 11:42:32 AM
BINGO.

Give that man a cigar.

another clue for 6; the composer of this brief piece (premiered in 1975 at UCLA's Royce Hall) died in the 1990s.

Are you kidding?  Zappa again for 6?

Teresa

Quote from: erato on June 14, 2008, 11:42:23 AM
3. Dutilleux - 2nd symphony

One of several very great symphonies lacking in the 100 greatest symphonies thread.

Thanks that was my favorite clip of the six, I am putting this on my want list.  I liked them all except clip 5, but clip three was the best!

The new erato

Quote from: Teresa on June 15, 2008, 04:58:23 PM
Thanks that was my favorite clip of the six, I am putting this on my want list.  I liked them all except clip 5, but clip three was the best!

But as James reminded us - it was the first one! Both are extremely wortwhile, though!