Tüür's Tonic Triforium

Started by Lethevich, June 14, 2008, 12:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archaic Torso of Apollo

The Violin Concerto is the one work that has really stuck with me. Traditional 3-mvt. structure; stylistically an interesting mix of modernism, romanticism, and a bit of rock/pop influence. Not a lot of good tunes, but some great atmospherics.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

kyjo

Thanks for the recommendations, John and Velimir! :)

lescamil

Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

kyjo

Just finished listening to Tüür's Viola Concerto Illuminatio on YouTube. I can't say I was too impressed by it. Tüür is able to conjure up some novel atmospherics, for sure, but I just wasn't really grabbed by anything in this piece. It seemed to me to be more bark than bite. I'm not going to give up on Tüür yet, though. :)

snyprrr

Based on the last two Posts, Tuur doesn't strike me as someone I'm going to get in to. I think I heard some, but can't... just mush in the brain. Is it Lepo Sumera I seek here instead? Obviously, if this were a financial death match, it would be between the BIS disc of Sumera 1-3 versus whatever your Tuur contender would be. Let the Games Begin! Who WINS my bread?!

snyprrr

It took me less than a minute with Tuur. No thanks. Who is the Composer who is 10 Times Better than Sumera and Tuur combined? if that's a correct way of putting it...

Wanderer

Almost a year without a post.

I attended the Vienna premiere of his Sow the Wind... in April, superbly performed by the Wiener Symphoniker and Paavo Järvi, and I thought very highly of it. The work felt quite organic in its incorporation of what could be described as several Aeolian (not the mode) states of sonority, both soothing breezes and massive storms as well as several more in between, it never sagged and had tremendous virtuosic passages for the orchestra. Tüür was sitting five seats in front of me and in the end got acknowledged by a well-deserved round of applause.

San Antone

I had forgotten that I'd written about this composer.  :o   Very interesting guy and the music is well worth investigating.  Thanks for bumping the thread.

;)

nathanb

I really wish Tüür would pick a style (like, at least within a single piece). I like him, but it's very hard to decide just how much I like him when he insists on constantly vacillating between a sort of proto-spectral style and a European minimalism style. Personally I prefer the former, but I would be ok if he pursued the latter. It would just be nice to know what kind of music I'm throwing on, I guess. For when I want to be surprised, I already have Schnittke, Berio, etc anyway ;)

Daverz

Yes, very interesting composer, but I still don't have a handle on him.  Perhaps that's his intention.

vers la flamme

Anyone listening to Tüür's music? It appears ECM has recorded quite a bit of it. I picked up one of the ECM discs recently called Crystallisatio. I'm enjoying it so far but not sure I can tell what this composer is all about; so far my impression is "Pärt-lite".

relm1

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 19, 2021, 02:25:31 AM
Anyone listening to Tüür's music? It appears ECM has recorded quite a bit of it. I picked up one of the ECM discs recently called Crystallisatio. I'm enjoying it so far but not sure I can tell what this composer is all about; so far my impression is "Pärt-lite".

I wouldn't compare him to Pärt at all.  His early career was as a 1980's progressive rock musician in Estonia and you sometimes here some of that background in his music.  With his training by Sumera and Raats, you should love to them as more closely aligned stylistically, but Sumera has more Sibelian rugged landscapes in his music, though when abstract (like Sumera's Symphony No. 5), you can see a link with Tuur.  I really enjoyed his latest Symphony, No. 9 "Mythos", you might want to seek that one out.  Overall, I enjoy his music but structurally, it is a bit free form making it a little hard to follow the musical arguments, not that it meanders, just that there is a bit more of an improvisatory quality to it.  With Sumera or Raats, they are a bit more traditional in their structural approach.  You get an opening -> a statement -> a development -> a build up -> climax -> some sort of resolution or coda so the trajectory is quite understandable.  With Tuur, you might get something more like: an opening -> what I think about that.  One approach isn't better or worse than the other, just different.

vers la flamme

Quote from: relm1 on July 19, 2021, 05:59:50 AM
I wouldn't compare him to Pärt at all.  His early career was as a 1980's progressive rock musician in Estonia and you sometimes here some of that background in his music.  With his training by Sumera and Raats, you should love to them as more closely aligned stylistically, but Sumera has more Sibelian rugged landscapes in his music, though when abstract (like Sumera's Symphony No. 5), you can see a link with Tuur.  I really enjoyed his latest Symphony, No. 9 "Mythos", you might want to seek that one out.  Overall, I enjoy his music but structurally, it is a bit free form making it a little hard to follow the musical arguments, not that it meanders, just that there is a bit more of an improvisatory quality to it.  With Sumera or Raats, they are a bit more traditional in their structural approach.  You get an opening -> a statement -> a development -> a build up -> climax -> some sort of resolution or coda so the trajectory is quite understandable.  With Tuur, you might get something more like: an opening -> what I think about that.  One approach isn't better or worse than the other, just different.

Interesting. I've never listened to Sumera or Raats. I guess I do kind of hear a prog-rock kind of vibe in this music.