The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: NikF on March 09, 2016, 06:40:20 AM
The guy drove over and dropped the camera off at my house. It was an old M42 Vivitar/Cosina - that's about the only other 35mm system I ever bought into. I even used it at work for six months or so.
Anyway, Iain (my best friend/assistant/arch-nemesis etc) was with me. So the guy pulled up in the car and got out and -
Guy: here's the camera.
Me: thanks, I forgot it was there.
Guy: (with a hint of a sneer) to be honest with a car like that I would expect to find a leica or a contax.
Iain: and with a face like yours I'd expect to find it punched.

:o  :laugh:

Brilliant. :laugh:
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

kishnevi

Seen online:

Q: In what way is a tornado in Alabama like a divorce in Arkansas?

A:  Someone is going to lose a trailer.

NikF

Quote from: North Star on March 09, 2016, 07:28:18 AM
Brilliant. :laugh:

Despite being the stereotypical model/actor he used to be relatively quiet, lack confidence, couldn't get a date with girls etc. But now he's incredibly forward and popular and all that. But sometimes...
We were on a shoot in town and stopped for lunch. Pushed for time we decided to get sandwiches from Subway. Inside there was a long queue and so we waited in line. After a couple of minutes he said to me "That girl working behind the counter isn't doing her job properly. She's not asking what type of bread the customer wants, she's just saying 'bread?'" I told him that everyone knew that she was asking and she was probably under pressure due to it being busy. But no, he wouldn't shut up. "She's not asking 'What type of bread?' she's only asking 'Bread?'" Finally we reached the counter -
Girl: "What would you like?"
Iain: "Meatball marinara"
Girl: "Would you like salad?"
Iain: "Yes, lettuce, onion and tomatoes"
Girl: "Bread?"
Iain: "No, if you could just shovel it all straight into my mouth, please"

A shameful man.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Karl Henning

Quote from: karlhenning on March 08, 2016, 03:08:38 AM
Yearly bureaucracy task  ;)  Thanks for the thought, it's a new-ish car, and the inspection should be mere routine.  I was inattentive, and the sticker expired end of February . . . since I take the MBTA to work, and I do no driving most days, I have not had occasion to run afoul of the law.  Will run it to a nearby inspection station first thing I get home from the office today.

Well, I did get to the Inspection Station before closing on Tuesday, but there was someone ahead of me, and that motorist was going to be last for the day.  Wound up borrowing the missus' car to go to choir rehearsal.

Yesterday, took an earlier bus back home, went to the same Inspection Station, there was no one ahead of me, bingo.  Street legal, again.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

NikF

Quote from: karlhenning on March 10, 2016, 06:46:33 AM
Well, I did get to the Inspection Station before closing on Tuesday, but there was someone ahead of me, and that motorist was going to be last for the day.  Wound up borrowing the missus' car to go to choir rehearsal.

Yesterday, took an earlier bus back home, went to the same Inspection Station, there was no one ahead of me, bingo.  Street legal, again.

Yeah, good stuff.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Karl Henning

Life's small pleasures. I'll take 'em.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

NikF

Quote from: karlhenning on March 10, 2016, 06:51:39 AM

Absolutely. And the thing about small pleasures, is that they're abundant. Simply apply time and patience and you'll definitely find them. It's all good.

North Star

Quote from: NikF on March 10, 2016, 06:43:19 AM
Despite being the stereotypical model/actor he used to be relatively quiet, lack confidence, couldn't get a date with girls etc. But now he's incredibly forward and popular and all that. But sometimes...
We were on a shoot in town and stopped for lunch. Pushed for time we decided to get sandwiches from Subway. Inside there was a long queue and so we waited in line. After a couple of minutes he said to me "That girl working behind the counter isn't doing her job properly. She's not asking what type of bread the customer wants, she's just saying 'bread?'" I told him that everyone knew that she was asking and she was probably under pressure due to it being busy. But no, he wouldn't shut up. "She's not asking 'What type of bread?' she's only asking 'Bread?'" Finally we reached the counter -
Girl: "What would you like?"
Iain: "Meatball marinara"
Girl: "Would you like salad?"
Iain: "Yes, lettuce, onion and tomatoes"
Girl: "Bread?"
Iain: "No, if you could just shovel it all straight into my mouth, please"

A shameful man.
I hope you got a photo of that.  0:)

Quote from: karlhenning on March 10, 2016, 06:51:39 AM
Quote from: NikF on March 10, 2016, 07:13:44 AMAbsolutely. And the thing about small pleasures, is that they're abundant. Simply apply time and patience and you'll definitely find them. It's all good.
Yes.

My photographs on Flickr

Todd

When it comes to TV, I'm an OTA kinda guy.  (Well, OK, I use Netflix and Amazon for streaming dated material.)  Over the past few years, nostalgia channels have proliferated.  I think there are now eight stations available in my area that specialize in broadcasting shows from the 50s through the 80s.  In the past week or so, a new one arrived, Decades TV, and what happened to be on when I stumbled across it but Celebrity Bowling!  Yes, Celebrity Bowling!  From the 70s!  In the action packed ninety seconds I watched, Lloyd and Beau Bridges competed against John Marley and Corbett Monica.  (I couldn't remember the latter two actors' names, but IMDB actually has the info available.)  Now that's entertainment!  Truth to tell, it's no worse than Hollywood Game Night. 

One of the channels has taken to broadcasting full Johnny Carson shows.  I caught part of an episode where Carson interviewed Jackie Gleason for the first time.  The current crop of late night guys, at least on broadcast, are not up to Johnny's level.  I can't decide who's worse, Jimmy Fallon or "real-life" Stephen Colbert.  Granted, I'm rarely up late, and I've only seen these two a few times each, and they are both just terrible.  I guess my daughter is right: I'm getting old.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Parsifal

Biding my time until the extinction thread opens again...

Karl Henning

Just a tangential observation that the appearance of the Mahler Mania Rebooted thread always make me smile, remembering how the first thread disappeared under a wave of Elgar carpet-bombing.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Oh, the irony...
Quote from: Gaspard de la nuit on November 21, 2016, 05:46:02 AMI do not doubt that most do not even realize they are doing it, but if the tables were turned they would undeniably see it.)
Quote from: Gaspard de la nuit on October 22, 2012, 12:53:13 PM
Hahahaha!!  LMFAO!!!

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

Windows 10 installed to my new HDD (WD Black 2 TB), the great photograph and music migration has begun.

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on December 16, 2016, 07:09:04 AM
Windows 10 installed to my new HDD (WD Black 2 TB), the great photograph and music migration has begun.

Conquer!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Gromit was a cat before he was a dog, apparently.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

Whilst browsing Netflix last night to find something to watch, American Experience: Oklahoma City popped up as a show I may like.  Netflix calculated that I would like that show because I had watched Documentary Now! previously.  Their algorithm may need a little work.

kishnevi

Reminds me of when I was new to Amazon, and found their algorithm suggesting a CD from Korn because I had purchased a recording of Das Lied von der Erde.

Todd

The following solicitation for reader input represents the hard-hitting, socially responsible journalism found at The Graun, and is one of the reasons I continue to read it every day:

"Have you injured yourself trying to eat a fruit or vegetable?"

Karl Henning

♫  . . . holding your hand while the neighbors decide,
Why is a vegetable something to hide?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA