The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Lethe on June 10, 2009, 07:59:03 AM
They kindly told me the problem, and it is Amazon's fault somehow - another seller (powellsbookstore) seems to have put the correct title in their description:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1566199093/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1244649333&sr=8-2&condition=used

I guess Amazon accidentely merged a listing or something. Interesting, anyway :D

Yes. I'm surprised with the huge inventory more mistakes like this aren't made.

karlhenning

Quote from: MN Dave on June 10, 2009, 08:04:33 AM
Yes. I'm surprised with the huge inventory more mistakes like this aren't made.

The only remotely similar experience I've had . . . there is/was a page for the first Ryko CD reissue of two early Zappa/Mothers albums together, We're Only In It For the Money and Lumpy Gravy. I ordered a used copy through a third-party seller, and the disc on offer (and which arrived) turned out to be not the double-album single-disc, but simply the later reissue of the single album, We're Only In It For the Money.  The seller was very gracious about working out a compromise.

Dr. Dread

Recently I received a "like new" CD from a third-party vendor that wasn't quite. IMO.

karlhenning

Quote from: MN Dave on June 10, 2009, 08:13:34 AM
Recently I received a "like new" CD from a third-party vendor that wasn't quite. IMO.

Ah, well, comparable to that, I got a disc . . . well, let's go to the tape:

QuoteHi. This disc arrived today. You listed the condition as "Used - Good." Yet the booklet has suffered water damage, is useless, the pages are all glued together, and some of the back cover of the booklet was stuck to the upper side of the compact disc. For an item listed as in "good" condition, I should not have expected such a problem with the booklet.

The seller appeared to respond well, said he would refund me for the disc (which is a bit more generosity than I was quite expecting, but fine).  I say appeared to respond well, because weeks went by, and the seller did not act on that promise.  Wound up having to resort to an 'amazon.com A-to-z Guarantee claim' . . . amazon made good, and if anything this was even better, because I was refunded the entire amount of the transaction (i.e., incl. shipping).

Dr. Dread

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 10, 2009, 08:28:55 AM
Ah, well, comparable to that, I got a disc . . . well, let's go to the tape:

The seller appeared to respond well, said he would refund me for the disc (which is a bit more generosity than I was quite expecting, but fine).  I say appeared to respond well, because weeks went by, and the seller did not act on that promise.  Wound up having to resort to an 'amazon.com A-to-z Guarantee claim' . . . amazon made good, and if anything this was even better, because I was refunded the entire amount of the transaction (i.e., incl. shipping).

If it doesn't say "like new", I don't get my hopes up too high. Actually, I don't make a purchase unless it says "new" or "like new".

karlhenning

Quote from: MN Dave on June 10, 2009, 08:36:51 AM
If it doesn't say "like new", I don't get my hopes up too high. Actually, I don't make a purchase unless it says "new" or "like new".

Normally, that's my standard, too.  This was a case where I had to have John Cage, and had to have it NOW  ;D

Dr. Dread

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 10, 2009, 08:41:04 AM
Normally, that's my standard, too.  This was a case where I had to have John Cage, and had to have it NOW  ;D

Makes sense.

Dr. Dread

It is interesting in my middle-age, that I am now into both classical music and hard rock/heavy metal. I mean, I didn't listen to the hard stuff till the late nineties and now I crave it often. Music for teenage boys? I guess not...

ChamberNut

Just when I thought classical music couldn't sound any better to my ears.......haven't listened to music in two days until this evening.  Wow, it's like still great, only even more intensified.   Wonderful!  0:)

Dr. Dread

Yeah, it's good stuff, I hear.  ;D

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Here's my advice for anybody of you, höchst geachtete hier versammelte Damen und Herren: Please learn german, then our communication could increase in quality. German r0xx0rz! I heard especially in Poland and Britain there's no common interest in our language.

Change! Yes you can! Haut rein, Leute! dzień dobre! (?) ;)

karlhenning

Quote from: Wurstwasser on June 11, 2009, 04:35:56 AM
Please learn german, then our communication could increase in quality.

Really? In what way does our communication in inglese fall short?

ChamberNut

Here's my advice for anybody of you, höchst geachtete hier versammelte Damen und Herren: Please learn german, then our communication could increase in quality. German r0xx0rz! I heard especially in Poland and Britain there's no common interest in our language.

I actually would love to learn how to speak German.  I'll look into maybe taking some classes in the Fall.  8)

karlhenning

Think of all those turgid pamphlets you could read in the original, Ray:D ;D 8)

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Dr. Dread

So, teach us...

Dr. Dread

Ich bin ein auslander!!!

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Yeah, the Chaplin german is funny :D

Quote from: MN Dave on June 11, 2009, 05:08:08 AMIch bin ein auslander!!!
NEIN! So etwas gibt es nicht! It's political incorrect to use segregating terms in german[1], so using "Ausländer" is indeed politically incorrect here (maybe since 2 or 3 years). Today, if you come to germany you are having a "migrational background". There's a lot of politically correct language cleanup these days.

The same with "Negerküsse":

No more Negerküsse. In Germany, Negroes do not have to exist. It's cleaned up and called "Schokokuss" now.

[1]Also germans are very picky about generalizations. Negative generalizations about other people/folks are disallowed and wrong, positive ones are welcome. This is not what I call "Scientific". Well, Politik...

Ich liebe Euch, meine Freunde, weil Ihr anders seid... :D

Viel Erfolg, ChamberNut! Personally, I want to learn Dutch one day. And re-initialize my French. I was good at it at school, but forgot most of it.

Dr. Dread

This is already too hard for me.  ;D

karlhenning