The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elgarian

Quote from: secondwind on July 28, 2009, 05:36:37 PM
I contented myself with drinking the pain away and eventually framing the program and ticket stub to hang next to the piano as a reminder that Music Gods walk among us. 

I understand this completely, and it encourages me to start up the memorabilia thread so we can swap tales like this.

QuoteI would have to overcome a pretty intimidating techno-phobia to figure out how to take a digital picture and post it, but if you really, really want to see it. . . .

I do. New thread will appear - watch for it!

Elgarian

Music Memorabilia thread here:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,13713.new.html#new

Karl, I wonder if you'd be willing to copy your 'Carter' link over there? And secondwind - would you copy your story over there to get us going?

Dr. Dread

I hope everyone reading this is having a fine day (or night).  :)

karlhenning

Thanks! You, too, laddie!

Dr. Dread

Dr. Dread

greg

Was the Albinoni Adagio really written by Remo Giazotto?  ???

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Greg on July 29, 2009, 06:27:56 PM
Was the Albinoni Adagio really written by Remo Giazotto?  ???

Damn, we should have asked Newman before he left. Your timing is always screwed up, Greg... :D

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Ronald Brautigam - K 455 10 Variations in G  for Keyboard on the arietta "Unser dummer Pöbel meint"
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

greg

Ah, so it's just a wacky conspiracy theory? I hope so.
Enjoying a couple of very different performances on youtube veeeeeeryyyyyy much.  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Greg on July 29, 2009, 06:36:42 PM
Ah, so it's just a wacky conspiracy theory? I hope so.
Enjoying a couple of very different performances on youtube veeeeeeryyyyyy much.  :)

Actually, it might be true. Several years ago I read something to that effect, but I can't remember the name they put forward. In any case, it is a lovely piece of music, no doubt. :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Ronald Brautigam - K 485 Rondo in D for Keyboard
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

PaulR

Bloomington Indiana is far, far, far away from NY.

greg

Quote from: wikipediaGiazotto is famous for his publication of a work called Adagio in G minor which he claimed to have transcribed from a manuscript fragment of an Albinoni sonata that he had received from the Saxon State Library. He stated that he had arranged the work but not composed it. He subsequently revised this story, claiming it as his own original composition. The fragment has never appeared in public, Giazotto stated that it contained only the bass line, and the work was copyrighted by Giazotto.[1][2]
Maybe we'll never really know the truth?...

Brian

Quote from: Ring of Fire on July 29, 2009, 06:53:15 PM
Bloomington Indiana is far, far, far away from NY.
It is also a very cool place. I'm from Columbus. Hope you enjoy it.  :)

PaulR

Quote from: Brian on July 29, 2009, 07:49:25 PM
It is also a very cool place. I'm from Columbus. Hope you enjoy it.  :)
Just got back from the trip.  Left on Saturday, arrived on Sunday (Stopped in Erie, PA on saturday night).  Went there to look at the school, which was amazing.  Then we went to Cincinnati after visiting the school on Monday, saw UC on Tuesday, and then went back to Erie, and finally, went from Erie to home today.

I'm sick of the car.

Dr. Dread

Take a nice walk today.    :)

Brian

Quote from: Ring of Fire on July 29, 2009, 08:47:26 PM
Just got back from the trip.  Left on Saturday, arrived on Sunday (Stopped in Erie, PA on saturday night).  Went there to look at the school, which was amazing.  Then we went to Cincinnati after visiting the school on Monday, saw UC on Tuesday, and then went back to Erie, and finally, went from Erie to home today.

I'm sick of the car.
If what you're after is a music school, Bloomington is pretty close to the top. :) I have a friend heading there in the fall for a master's in piano performance.

Dr. Dread

What happened to that nice Elgarian chap?

PaulR

Quote from: Brian on August 04, 2009, 07:14:57 AM
If what you're after is a music school, Bloomington is pretty close to the top. :) I have a friend heading there in the fall for a master's in piano performance.
yeah, I know.  I just hope my GRE grades and paper are good enough to get an invitation to get an interview.  Then I have to hope they admit me to the school.  hehe.  Grad school searching is fun!

Brian

Ring of Fire, good luck!!

Quote from: MN Dave on August 04, 2009, 10:14:05 AM
What happened to that nice Elgarian chap?
He's online.  :) He's even reading this thread.