The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Benji

It's frightening how often I have to clean my vents, but then my pc is under my desk so I guess the fan is constantly eating up the dust and fluff from my socks. Yum.

knight66

Quote from: Benji on November 19, 2009, 12:23:03 PM

Ah the definition of a biscuit...something the British take very seriously. For example, there is much heated pub debating to be done on the subject of whether a jaffa cake (a light sponge with an disc of orange flavoured jelly, half coated in chocolate) is a biscuit, or in fact a small cake. I am not joking, this conversation happens with alarming regularity - many Brits of all generations will have had the discussion - i'm sure someone will back me up on that. :D

I can confidently tell you; the courts ruled it was a cake, not a biscuit....not joking.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Benji

Quote from: knight on November 20, 2009, 11:35:46 PM
I can confidently tell you; the courts ruled it was a cake, not a biscuit....not joking.

Mike

Oh yeah. The definition of either 'cake' or 'biscuit' puts them in different tax brackets right? Was it that cake is seen as a luxury item and biscuit as daily essentials? Makes you proud, doesn't it?  8)

karlhenning

What do the English call an English muffin? . . .

Novi

Quote from: Benji on November 21, 2009, 04:23:45 AM
Oh yeah. The definition of either 'cake' or 'biscuit' puts them in different tax brackets right? Was it that cake is seen as a luxury item and biscuit as daily essentials? Makes you proud, doesn't it?  8)

From the ever trustworthy and scholarly source:

Quote from: wikipedia
Under UK law, no Value Added Tax (VAT) is charged on biscuits and cakes — they are "zero rated". Chocolate covered biscuits, however, are subject to VAT, currently 15%. McVities classed its Jaffa Cakes as cakes, but in 1991, this was challenged by Her Majesty's Customs and Excise and the case ended up before the courts.[5] This may have been because Jaffa Cakes are about the same size and shape as some types of biscuit, and particularly because they are commonly eaten alongside, or instead of, traditional biscuits. A question that the court asked itself was "what criteria should be used to class something as a cake?"
McVities defended its classification of Jaffa Cakes as cakes, producing a 12" (30 cm) Jaffa Cake to illustrate that its Jaffa Cakes were simply miniature cakes.[6]
McVities argued that a distinction between cakes and biscuits is, among other things, that biscuits would normally be expected to go soft when stale, whereas cakes would normally be expected to go hard. It was demonstrated to the Tribunal that Jaffa Cakes become hard when stale. Other factors taken into account by the Chairman, Potter QC, included the name, ingredients, texture, size, packaging, marketing, presentation, appeal to children, and manufacturing process. Potter ruled that the Jaffa Cake is a cake. McVities therefore won the case and VAT is not paid on Jaffa Cakes.[7]

Jaffa cakes are ace. :)
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Benji

Quote from: Novi on November 21, 2009, 04:34:30 AM
From the ever trustworthy and scholarly source:

Jaffa cakes are ace. :)

Don't know about you, but I couldn't concentrate after the mention of the 12 inch jaffa cake. I know what i'm asking Santa for now.  :D

Benji

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 21, 2009, 04:29:23 AM

Well, this is interesting. We have two things that are called muffins here

- the usual muffin, which is a mini egg-based sponge cake about the size of a fist.
- the breakfast muffin, which is a small bread item, about 12cm in diameter and maybe 3cm thick. This would normally be halved, toasted, buttered and topped with jam, or bacon/egg typically.

However.... A search of google images to confirm what Americans expected an English Muffin to look like threw up two very distinct things. Firstly, the breakfast muffin above, as I expected, but also what we would in the UK call a crumpet. A crumpet is a little flour/yeast combo that is cooked from underneath on the stove rather than baked, to give it a very airy texture, perfect for soaking up artery-busting amounts of butter and jam (or in my case Nutella, because i'm addicted to the stuff).  ;D

So, it would seem to me, Dr Karl, that you should learn the definitions of Breakfast muffins and crumpets to avoid breakfast disappointment if you ever visit our shores.  ;)

Elgarian

I'm disappointed by the lack of interest in the birthday and Christmas presents of Rupert Bear and his pals, in comparison with the huge upsurge in the number of devotees of muffinology and computer vent hygiene. I suppose I'm witnessing the death of an old fashion and the birth of two new ones.

Pass the butter and the feather duster please. Thanks.
Anyone want to buy some old Rupert Bear annuals?

knight66

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 21, 2009, 04:29:23 AM

A good time.

Re the Jaffa Cake....VAT would have been due on it as a chocolate biscuit, but not as a cake. The distinction revolved around the bread texture of the cake...or cake texture I suppose; as against the hard biscuit consistency of a biscuit. As the Jaffa Cake remains spongy, it was classified as a cake.

The company won its appeal against what was then HM Customs and Excise.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

karlhenning

Quote from: knight on November 21, 2009, 02:37:30 PM
A good time.

Hah!

Quote from: Benji on November 21, 2009, 04:52:45 AM
Well, this is interesting. We have two things that are called muffins here

- the usual muffin, which is a mini egg-based sponge cake about the size of a fist.
- the breakfast muffin, which is a small bread item, about 12cm in diameter and maybe 3cm thick. This would normally be halved, toasted, buttered and topped with jam, or bacon/egg typically.

However.... A search of google images to confirm what Americans expected an English Muffin to look like threw up two very distinct things. Firstly, the breakfast muffin above, as I expected, but also what we would in the UK call a crumpet. A crumpet is a little flour/yeast combo that is cooked from underneath on the stove rather than baked, to give it a very airy texture, perfect for soaking up artery-busting amounts of butter and jam (or in my case Nutella, because i'm addicted to the stuff).  ;D

So, it would seem to me, Dr Karl, that you should learn the definitions of Breakfast muffins and crumpets to avoid breakfast disappointment if you ever visit our shores.  ;)

The tea shop in Newbury Street here in the Back Bay serves a crumpet which reminded me of (a not-so-crunchy) English muffin (so-called).

Elgarian

As far as I am aware, muffins and jaffa cakes have never featured significantly among the Christmas and birthday presents of Rupert Bear and his chums.

karlhenning

Of course, in recent years the coffee shops here invented the curiosity known as "muffin tops."

secondwind

Muffin-top?

MN Dave

I remember muffin tops from Seinfeld. Did they come up with the concept?

Elgarian

Quote from: MN Dave on November 23, 2009, 05:01:24 AM
I remember muffin tops from Seinfeld. Did they come up with the concept?

I'm fairly sure it had nothing to do with Algy Pug, Bill Badger, or Edward Trunk.

karlhenning

Don?  Is all well? ; )

MN Dave

Quote from: Elgarian on November 23, 2009, 01:20:11 PM
I'm fairly sure it had nothing to do with Algy Pug, Bill Badger, or Edward Trunk.

I have no idea what you're talking about.  :)

Brahmsian

Sesame Street has some great atonal honkers:D