The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Moldyoldie on April 02, 2010, 05:39:34 AM
Uh, I'm not sure I'd deem them "heroic", but if we're talkin' 'bout abject failures...
Besides, the present Cleveland Browns are an expansion team, remember?

Just found this in wiki: "The Browns are officially viewed as one continuous franchise that began in 1946 as a member of the All-American Football Conference, joined the NFL in 1950, suspended operations from 1996-1998, and resumed play in 1999. The Baltimore Ravens were an expansion team created in 1996 with former Browns players."

If that's true, then the Lions and Browns are the only non-expansion teams that have not been in a Super Bowl. They are also tied at four NFL championships each in the years preceding the creation of the Super Bowl. In other words, they are equals in the failure department.  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

WI Dan

Quote from: John on April 01, 2010, 10:21:13 PM
I like the Green Bay PACKERS.  I don't know where Green Bay is, but I sure support it.

QuoteAnd whatever needs packed, I'll help them.   8)
"Packers" is short for "meatpackers", but I hear the players are making enough money, that very few need to moonlight at the plant, these days. 

Go Pack !!!

mahler10th

Thank you for the map, Dan.
I support them in their efforts to pack as much meat as they can, especially in the offense.  I might send them some Haggis, and they can pack that too.

Szykniej, thank you for the Lombardi Million Dollars link.  It only costs a dollar.  I expected to pay much more for a dollar bill with the mighty Lombardis face on it.

:)

MN Dave

Dear John,

You are now my worst enemy.

Love,

Dave

WI Dan

Quote from: MN Dave on April 03, 2010, 04:23:53 AM
Dear John,

Love,

Dave

Good! .... More haggis for us, then!! 

Elgarian

Now haggis is something I understand.

Szykneij

Dear John,

Love,
Dave

Dave's wurst enemy

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

mahler10th

Dear John,

The Minnesota Vikings.  Ha!  They don't even know what Vikings are in Minnesota.  And they wouldn't know where to find one.  I suppose they all think a Viking is the name of the next Ford vehicle.  Minnesota has native American origins, so they don't even know how to name themselves properly.  They should be called the Minnesota Anishinaabes or Minnesota Dakotas.  THEN I might respect them.  Meanwhile Green Bay Packers know why they're called 'Packers' and they behave accordingly.  They pack it!
Unfortunately, if the Vikings lived up to their name, the stadium would be raped and pillaged and burnt down before any game begins.   :-*
I LIKE THE GREEN BAY PACKERS!   :P  :)

knight66

Quote from: Szykniej on April 03, 2010, 04:31:56 PM
Dave's wurst enemy

I know they say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach; but she seems very much to be catering to a niche market.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

MN Dave

Quote from: John on April 03, 2010, 08:26:58 PM
The Minnesota Vikings.  Ha!  They don't even know what Vikings are in Minnesota. 

You don't know much about Minnesota; you probably don't even know where it is. And, anyway, I don't really care for sports.  0:)

MN Dave

I like these new Firefox personas.  :)

karlhenning

Quote from: Elgarian on April 03, 2010, 12:04:41 PM
Now haggis is something I understand.

I am grateful . . . you understand it so that we don't have to.

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 04, 2010, 02:52:56 PM
I am grateful . . . you understand it so that we don't have to.

Reminds me of John Oliver on the Daily Show, he said that he wanted to feel back at home by having boiled, flavorless meat. ;D

knight66

Haggis is not a bit like that. To know it is to love it.

'Haggis Ingredients:

1 sheep's stomach bag
1 sheep's pluck - liver, lungs and heart
3 onions
250g beef Suet
150g oatmeal
salt and black pepper
a pinch of cayenne
150mls of stock/gravy'

Mike

DavidW

OMG that is disgusting!

I think I'll take the boiled, flavorless meat instead. ;D

knight66

LOL It's all in that emoticon. (Then out of it.)

Mike

DavidW

I think now I know the real reason why the Irish stuck with potatoes, they saw Scots eating their Haggis and immediately became vegetarians! >:D

knight66

Then came the potato famine, so they gave in and went back to good ole Irish Stew. NB Two types of potato used here!

Ingredients3 middle necks of lamb (about 1.8kg/4lb), filleted and boned - you need to end up with about 950g/2lb 2oz pure meat
650g floury potatoes , such as King Edward
650g waxy potatoes , such as Desirée or Pentland Javelin
1kg carrots
2 onions
½ tsp fresh thyme leaves
chopped fresh chives and parsley, to garnish
FOR THE STOCKbones from the lamb
1 large carrot , quartered
1 onion , quartered
½ celery stick, quartered
1 bay leaf
2 large sprigs of thyme
a generous sprig of parsley
6 black peppercorns , lightly crushed

DavidW

Well that doesn't sound revolting! :) 

I think just to avoid things like haggis, if I ever take a trip to the UK I should eat fast food and eat indian.  Can't go wrong there! ;D