The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Though I'd have to try to find out how to emulate the extended techniques of string instruments on the electric guitar. For the behind the bridge scrape, I guess I could just scrape the strings with the side of the pick, for example.
The whole addition of whammy bar effects, effects pedals (such as delay, especially) and harmonics would open up possibilities never heard before in your wildest dreams... (or nightmares)  >:D

Elgarian

Sounds nice and noisy guys, but I'd been thinking more along the lines of 'Introduction and Allegro for Puncture Repair Kit and Rubber Tyre', 'Serenade for Saddles', or 'Chainsong de Matin'; or maybe a programmatic piece such as 'Fallsoff'.

Oh and of course: a 'Pump and Circumstance March'.

knight66

Make that a lento puncture.

I am certain that with your gel saddle you will manage much better music and more of it.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Elgarian

Quote from: knight on May 26, 2010, 09:24:29 AM
I am certain that with your gel saddle you will manage much better music and more of it.
I think it's part of the guarantee that comes with the bike. I shall check the small print.

Opus106

Quote from: Greg on May 27, 2010, 02:34:12 PM
Just saw this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1281870/50-Cent-loses-54-pounds-Things-Fall-Apart-film-role.html

That must be one important film role for him.  :o

I'm sure he'll at least be nominated for an Oscar for the weight loss. ::)
Regards,
Navneeth

MN Dave

Sitting around, listening to music.

Lazy bastards.

;)

greg

I know, what's wrong with everyone?  ::)
At this moment, Ubloobideega is in my room, plotting a terrorist attack, and none of you guys are helping to stop him. Come on...  :(

Opus106

Quote from: Greg on May 28, 2010, 07:51:12 PM
I know, what's wrong with everyone?  ::)
At this moment, Ubloobideega is in my room, plotting a terrorist attack, and none of you guys are helping to stop him. Come on...  :(

I believe the above message has been forwarded to the FBI.
Regards,
Navneeth

greg

Quote from: Opus106 on May 29, 2010, 12:48:12 AM
I believe the above message has been forwarded to the FBI.
Excellent! Hopefully the FBI can take of Ubloobideega and his silly antics.
Every time I try to calmly approach him about the matter, he teleports out of the room like a scared animal and I don't see him for days.  :(

drogulus

(Fake Moderator)

No more music talk in the Diner, please. And I must remind all that this is a chat thread, as well as the Chat Thread, off limits therefore to substantive conversation about real things (hereafter defined as the subjects of empirically verifiable propositions). Don't you people have feelings to talk about or...............something to do?

Quote from: Greg on May 29, 2010, 04:54:13 AM
Excellent! Hopefully the FBI can take of Ubloobideega and his silly antics.
Every time I try to calmly approach him about the matter, he teleports out of the room like a scared animal and I don't see him for days.  :(

That's more like it.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

greg

Quote from: drogulus on May 29, 2010, 06:10:12 AM
      Don't you people have feelings to talk about or...............something to do?

You first. Talk about your feelings and what you are doing.

drogulus

Quote from: Greg on May 29, 2010, 11:15:42 AM
You first. Talk about your feelings and what you are doing.

I'm pretending to be a moderator, and I feel powerful.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

greg

Alright, I'll pretend to be a moderator, too. No... even better, I'll be three at the same time.

Ban Them All!
8)
- Greg

greg

Okay, seriously...

right now I'm messing around with ideas of using Meshuggah-like rhythm in the context of a Romantic-style score.  :o
Believe it or not, you can pull it off, making it sound very melodic instead of rhythmic, if you do it a certain way. So... I'll add this to my bag of personal ideas.  8)

I found an in-depth study of their rhythm:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/6375990/Recasting-Metal-Rhythm-and-Meter-in-the-Music-of-Meshuggah

I'm trying to think of a composer that uses these techniques, but I'm not sure... I've heard Indian music uses the same techniques, but along a greater range.

Usually, it's just presenting a 4/4 time with a guitar riff that's in, say, 11/16 and repeated several times and then varied at the end to make it "fit" at the end of a 4-bar (or 8-bar, whatever) phrase. At other times, such as in "I" (my favorite non-classical work), the whole "we only use 4/4 time" claim doesn't work, because the rhythms truly are "random", Rite of Spring-ish, with changing meter every few seconds. (As a result, they are unable to even perform it live).

I also found a study on thematic transformation of the themes in Mahler's 6th, a bit earlier, which was very good...

EDIT: the whole point is, I'm trying to see what odd ideas I can combine to make my own unique style, that will hopefully eventually be the best music I've ever heard.

knight66

If you want a 'ravings' thread as against a 'chat' thread, do say.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

greg

Quote from: knight on May 29, 2010, 09:59:35 PM
If you want a 'ravings' thread as against a 'chat' thread, do say.

Mike
Oh yeah, you don't use the "-".

So, my post should read:

Ban Them All!

8)

Greg

Renfield

Quote from: Greg on May 30, 2010, 05:21:01 AM
Oh yeah, you don't use the "-".

So, my post should read:

Ban Them All!

8)

Greg

You know, I was thinking yesterday: if you added a reference about bleeding-edge contemporary (live) music, you'd get all four. ;)

greg

Quote from: Renfield on May 30, 2010, 05:07:40 PM
You know, I was thinking yesterday: if you added a reference about bleeding-edge contemporary (live) music, you'd get all four. ;)
Okay, I'll add Que in there, too.

Here goes:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, today I went to this concert today. This contemporary ensemble played several HIP performances of Mozart, Bach, and Haydn. Then they played music by new composers, including:

Xzytrwqer Lalinsky: Paradoxiliacamorphiosis for 2 percussionists and randomly selected singing audience members
Ubloobideega: F*** You, Muthaf***a! for 11 angry prisoners
Jajou Lalou: Silence for turtle
Pierre de la Jeux de la Mierda de la Puta de la Obasan de la Haagen-Dazs: Explosive Diarrhea for orchestra (in this work, all of the members are assigned to play Beethoven's 7th symphony- but the catch is, each member plays an instrument that he doesn't know how to play- for example, a trombonist may be assigned to play the cello, while a cellist may be assigned to play the flute)

Ban Them All!

8)

Greg

Opus106

Too bad SMF doesn't let me selectively hide avatars. >:(

:D ;)
Regards,
Navneeth