The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

How do you prevent anger?...

PaulR

well.......

Another college rejected me.  Not sure if I expected to be accepted or rejected, I don't know.  But my heart just sank.  It all comes down to 2 colleges.  If I don't get accepted into either.....i don't know what I'd do......

I have to re-evaluate things.  I don't want to be stuck at a job where I will be miserable, and will be living pay check to pay check.  I know I am not the smartest person in the world, but I also know I am not the dumbest.

But.......right now, I question my choice of major for grad school.  I don't know if my interest is purely just to read it, or if it would be a suitable career choice.  I don't know if my writing samples were amateurish or showed potential.  Perhaps my writing skills are just not up to par.  I just don't know.  Just need to think......

petrarch

Quote from: Ring of Fire on February 02, 2011, 06:12:03 PM
Another college rejected me.  Not sure if I expected to be accepted or rejected, I don't know.  But my heart just sank.  It all comes down to 2 colleges.  If I don't get accepted into either.....i don't know what I'd do......

I have to re-evaluate things.  I don't want to be stuck at a job where I will be miserable, and will be living pay check to pay check.

And being accepted by any of those colleges is a guarantee against that?

Life is made of opportunities; you have an active part in creating them and then in wholeheartedly taking them. So, don't despair, and avoid complacency.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Scarpia

Quote from: Ring of Fire on February 02, 2011, 06:12:03 PM
well.......

I have to re-evaluate things.  I don't want to be stuck at a job where I will be miserable, and will be living pay check to pay check.  I know I am not the smartest person in the world, but I also know I am not the dumbest.

But.......right now, I question my choice of major for grad school.  I don't know if my interest is purely just to read it, or if it would be a suitable career choice.  I don't know if my writing samples were amateurish or showed potential.  Perhaps my writing skills are just not up to par.  I just don't know.  Just need to think......

What is the graduate school major you are pursuing?

PaulR

Quote from: petrarch on February 02, 2011, 08:08:03 PM
And being accepted by any of those colleges is a guarantee against that?

Life is made of opportunities; you have an active part in creating them and then in wholeheartedly taking them. So, don't despair, and avoid complacency.
I know being accepted guarantees me nothing but being able to attend the college.   I know that it's basically guaranteed that I would fail if I shut down, and don't do anything.  Perhaps someday, this will be a learning experience when it's all said and done.
Quote from: Scarpia on February 02, 2011, 10:35:29 PM
What is the graduate school major you are pursuing?

Musicology.   I know the field is competitive (at least through school), and a lot of people would apply to the schools I applied to.  Perhaps that is the main reason why I wasn't accepted.  But then again, I don't know definitively that is the truth, because in the rejection letters, they've been polite and saying "a lot of people applied here, we had to reject many talented people", or something along those lines. 
Perhaps it's the not right fit for me, not being a competitive person by my nature. 

The Diner

Quote from: Greg on January 28, 2011, 06:12:57 PM
How do you prevent anger?...

Meditation. And you don't eliminate it, you just don't allow it to carry you away.

karlhenning

You tell the anger where to get off, not the anger you.

Lethevich

I just realised what Donald Trump has been doing with his hair all this time:

It's a touching tribute.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

greg

Quote from: mn dave on February 03, 2011, 06:55:50 AM
Meditation. And you don't eliminate it, you just don't allow it to carry you away.
Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 03, 2011, 06:57:25 AM
You tell the anger where to get off, not the anger you.
If only it were that easy...

greg

This was my 3rd grade teacher (I saw him on the news this morning, and the first offence I read about in the newspaper a while ago, which I probably mentioned previously here):

http://badbadteacher.com/dale-chisena-sr/

Luckily, he wasn't all weird when I knew him, what, ~14 years ago.

The Diner

Quote from: Greg on February 05, 2011, 10:58:17 AM
If only it were that easy...

Who said meditation is easy?

greg

Quote from: mn dave on February 05, 2011, 11:45:30 AM
Who said meditation is easy?
Hmm, good point.
Ever hear of the "drug" DMT? Supposedly that blows meditation away, after only the 5-10 minutes that it lasts (assuming there are any relations in effect or goals/purpose). The way people talk about it seems like something that someone would say if they because instant master of meditation overnight and understood all things.  :D

The Diner

Quote from: Greg on February 05, 2011, 01:57:25 PM
Hmm, good point.
Ever hear of the "drug" DMT? Supposedly that blows meditation away, after only the 5-10 minutes that it lasts (assuming there are any relations in effect or goals/purpose). The way people talk about it seems like something that someone would say if they because instant master of meditation overnight and understood all things.  :D

Oh, like LSD?  :P

greg

Quote from: mn dave on February 05, 2011, 06:18:33 PM
Oh, like LSD?  :P
Not really- LSD is supposedly a joke in comparison. I don't know how dangerous LSD is, but DMT is actually very safe and non-addicting, too (one reason may be that it is already in our bodies).

Usually, people who take it completely lose their ego (if relaxed enough) and gain a completely different perspective on things (ability to view the world outside of their selves/ego- just as it is). I don't know how long that feeling last for them, though, because I'm under the impression that most people who do it once don't try it again.

For example:
http://www.youtube.com/v/yG42lFHK7Cc&feature=related

Szykneij

My 2011 Who's Who in Baseball arrived in today's mail. There's still a foot of snow on the ground outside, but spring is just around the corner!
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

greg

Facebook status from a childhood friend who now works at a Kobe's in San Antonio:

QuoteI'm hungry, I'm tired, and I hate my job. I'm only here to cook for you so that you can go home and get some easy sex. Happy Valentines Day!
Best facebook status ever!  :D

Henk

Has Dave left us?

Where is Philoctatus?

Henk

karlhenning

Dave has long been back. I cannot answer for Philo.

PaulR

So....it looks like I got into one of the schools I applied to!  So, that's a plus.

But that now leaves me with another problem!  I need to find a different piece to work on than Kol Nidrei!  Thankfully I have a decent selection to pick from.  I probably could pick up the Arpeggione Sonata, but I am liking the Misek Sonata #2.  So there's the problem!

Still, it's a good problem to have.   8)