The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulR

Bad news:  The strings I like on my instrument now cost $239 ($209 currently on sale)
Good news:  I only have to buy them every 2 or so years.  (And I have one more year till the A, D, G Need to be replaced)

Bad News:  The C String will cost $77 (on sale price), and replacement for that string is coming up quick.
Good News:  It's one string.

Good News:  Bass Strings are a lot harder to break then Violin strings.

Szykneij

Quote from: paulrbass on September 06, 2011, 04:38:15 PM
Bad news:  The strings I like on my instrument now cost $239 ($209 currently on sale)
Good news:  I only have to buy them every 2 or so years.  (And I have one more year till the A, D, G Need to be replaced)

Bad News:  The C String will cost $77 (on sale price), and replacement for that string is coming up quick.
Good News:  It's one string.

Good News:  Bass Strings are a lot harder to break then Violin strings.

La Bella or Dominant?
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

PaulR

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

PaulR

Quote from: Szykneij on September 06, 2011, 05:28:35 PM
Ah, a hybrid man!
They sound extremely nice on my bass.  So, it's worth the money  8) (that is, unless it gets to above $300).

I've always wanted to just experiment with the different brands of strings, but the price is a detriment to that idea.  Maybe when I win the lottery, I can do that.   8)

Opus106

I didn't know bass and violin strings had bits of platinum in them. :o :P
Regards,
Navneeth

Szykneij

Quote from: Opus106 on September 06, 2011, 10:04:56 PM
I didn't know bass and violin strings had bits of platinum in them. :o :P

Although there are very cheap strings made today out of single strands of metal, most strings have either a synthetic core (like perlon) wrapped  with a metal such as aluminum, tin, or silver or  a steel core wrapped with a metal such as steel, silver, or titanium. Violin "e" strings are often plated with gold or platinum. I once played a bass with nylon strings -- very "gutty" sound.

Opus106

Quote from: Szykneij on September 07, 2011, 02:45:27 AM
Although there are very cheap strings made today out of single strands of metal, most strings have either a synthetic core (like perlon) wrapped  with a metal such as aluminum, tin, or silver or  a steel core wrapped with a metal such as steel, silver, or titanium. Violin "e" strings are often plated with gold or platinum.

Wow! All this for durability or the Sound?

More reasons to play HIPpily. ;)
Regards,
Navneeth

Brian

Just received a package of CDs I had mailed from my old place in London to my home here in Texas. The package was sliced open and it had a sticker saying, "SECURITY X-RAY CHECKED BY POST DANMARK." Well, if my box has been to Denmark, that's probably why it took three weeks to reach the States.

karlhenning

Denmark's got the same vowels (and in the same order) as Texas . . . .

eyeresist

Why did they have to open it if they had an x-ray? ;)

Opus106

GMG is not working correctly at my end: I don't see any composer's photo next to Mirror Image's name. It's just various shades of blue. :-\

Was tempted to post it in the Bug Report thread, but I didn't want to disturb Rob with any of my sillyness.  0:)
Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

I didn't want to post this on the classical chat thread because then people would be like snoot! snoot! that's cracked, not serious enough *sticks nose in air*.  Here read this if you have the time:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19411_5-bizarre-dark-sides-to-modern-orchestras.html

:)

PaulR

Crazy rollercoaster weather in NW Ohio.  From 81, to 63 and back to the 70s in the weakend.

Renfield

Quote from: DavidW on September 13, 2011, 12:52:15 PM
I didn't want to post this on the classical chat thread because then people would be like snoot! snoot! that's cracked, not serious enough *sticks nose in air*.  Here read this if you have the time:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19411_5-bizarre-dark-sides-to-modern-orchestras.html

:)

Nonsense - this one's actually smart, informative and funny! :D

(Talk about a back-handed compliment.)

Brian

Quote from: Renfield on September 14, 2011, 07:02:19 AM
Nonsense - this one's actually smart, informative and funny! :D

(Talk about a back-handed compliment.)

Indeed. All those traits can be found in most Cracked articles by "Christina H." or "John Cheese," FYI. And the one DavidW links to is a good 'un - folks, click it!

DavidW

I wonder if Karl takes performance enhancing drugs... ;D

karlhenning

DavidW

Szykneij