The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: karlhenning on May 28, 2012, 06:37:16 AMSee that? The Warsaw Pact countries were right!

In the spirit of the criticism of NATO, shouldn't that be Warsaw Packed?
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

ibanezmonster

Um.... this is disturbing.

I've been watching Mr.Anime on youtube over the last year or so- this is a guy who uploads videos of anime reviews somewhat regularly. I really liked him, though I didn't get why he started putting gun stuff in his videos more and more.

His last video, which was uploaded 2 months ago, is about him getting a new job. I figured he hasn't put out any videos, since he wouldn't have much time. Then I see the number of dislikes and the related videos. Turns out that 10 days after uploading that video, he was on CNN for killing his family.

http://www.youtube.com/v/0YfZ4xYMzGs&feature=related

5 months ago he uploaded a video about him getting Pneumothorax, but slightly later updated that it turned out not to be a big problem. At the time, I was worried about him, because watching his videos, he seemed like a cool guy. And then this happens...

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Greg on May 29, 2012, 09:56:28 AM
5 months ago he uploaded a video about him getting Pneumothorax, but slightly later updated that it turned out not to be a big problem. At the time, I was worried about him, because watching his videos, he seemed like a cool guy. And then this happens...
Trying to figure out any clues or odd things in his videos that would explain what he did...

The last two videos he uploaded, everyone complained that he was drunk, because he was very obviously slurring his speech. Also, in a recent video, it was titled "Mr. Anime is planning something..."  ::)

Not enough clues, really, and no news updates since March 30 that I can find...

eyeresist

Quote from: Greg on May 29, 2012, 09:56:28 AMUm.... this is disturbing.

I've been watching Mr.Anime on youtube over the last year or so- this is a guy who uploads videos of anime reviews somewhat regularly. I really liked him, though I didn't get why he started putting gun stuff in his videos more and more.

His last video, which was uploaded 2 months ago, is about him getting a new job. I figured he hasn't put out any videos, since he wouldn't have much time. Then I see the number of dislikes and the related videos. Turns out that 10 days after uploading that video, he was on CNN for killing his family.

So he was an arsehole.

Hopefully there is software in the works to flag youtube videos featuring monologues with firearms in frame?

ibanezmonster

Quote from: eyeresist on May 30, 2012, 05:34:22 PM
So he was an arsehole.

Hopefully there is software in the works to flag youtube videos featuring monologues with firearms in frame?
The worst part of it is that he was planning with a friend a Columbine-like attack on his former high school (Waller High School in Texas), but he wanted to get his parents disposed of so they wouldn't have to bear the trauma of what he did (holding a rifle on the High School of the Dead was a very creepy foreshadowing).

He also used to make himself watch Grave of the Fireflies every now and then. Elfen Lied was also his favorite anime, and Gantz was among his favorites... I can't argue about him having good taste, though I sincerely hope the tragic nature of these shows didn't inspire him in any way. It's almost as if what he did was simply for the cathartic thrill, which is what these shows provide. Either that, or being crazy attracted him to these shows.  :P

The other stuff he is reported as doing (killing small animals, shooting buildings in the middle of the night, setting fires, grading serial killers)- I wonder when he started doing that. For one, everyone who knew him (family, high school peers) said he was a nice guy (though some said he was slightly strange), and it's easy to see this. Did something happen for him to develop this evil side over the last year or so or was he always leading this double life?

When he started uploading videos of him testing out his guns by shooting cans, I just though "meh, it's a Texas thing." I did have a slightly uncomfortable feeling when watching them, though. Little did I know.

His Facebook "About Me" section is not exactly what you'd expect from a serial killer:
QuoteWelcome to the house of fun

I'm Trey, no nicknames or anything. I really like to take it easy and have a nice time. I'm really interested in my education as a college student and am really excited about graduating in a few years. I plant things sometimes in the spring like peppers and strawberries. My car is currently the most exciting part of my days. Please to meet you though, take it easy.

I'm still subscribed to him... maybe his next video will be a review of prison: "I give 'Prison' 0 out of 10-" then Inuyasha could surprise attack him just like in his other videos, except... it won't be Inuyasha. Um, I won't elaborate.   :-X

eyeresist

I find that Facebook descriptor is weirdly neutral, like a conscious parody of inoffensive normality. And "Welcome to the house of fun" is just creepy in any context.

Quote from: Greg on May 30, 2012, 07:55:42 PMThe other stuff he is reported as doing (killing small animals, shooting buildings in the middle of the night, setting fires, grading serial killers)- I wonder when he started doing that. For one, everyone who knew him (family, high school peers) said he was a nice guy (though some said he was slightly strange), and it's easy to see this. Did something happen for him to develop this evil side over the last year or so or was he always leading this double life?

He was probably always working up to it. Being a "nice guy" is no indicator of being a nice guy. Ted Bundy was reportedly likable and charming.

I wonder about these guys who massacre their families. At some point, they heard about someone else who did it, and thought, "Yep, that's an option to consider." (I think killing parents and siblings is quite a different kind of crime to killing wife and kids.)

Brian

Quote from: eyeresist on May 30, 2012, 09:15:57 PM
I find that Facebook descriptor is weirdly neutral, like a conscious parody of inoffensive normality. And "Welcome to the house of fun" is just creepy in any context.

He was probably always working up to it. Being a "nice guy" is no indicator of being a nice guy. Ted Bundy was reportedly likable and charming.

Agreed on both counts - that Facebook paragraph is really weird. And people don't just have their evil side turn on one year - psychopathy manifests very early (even age 5-6) and being genetic it never changes. Maybe he had some new animus to act maliciously in the past year - the vast majority of people like that never actually kill or harm anyone. There's even a joke that most of them go into banking. I roomed with a guy in college who heard voices and was diagnosed as having 'psychotic tendencies' but unless you got him too drunk you'd hardly know.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Brian on May 31, 2012, 07:45:20 AM
Agreed on both counts - that Facebook paragraph is really weird.
Almost too normal, huh?  :D

And people don't just have their evil side turn on one year - psychopathy manifests very early (even age 5-6) and being genetic it never changes. Maybe he had some new animus to act maliciously in the past year - the vast majority of people like that never actually kill or harm anyone.
Okay, that first part I didn't know.
Still, the three things that puzzle me are:
1. What was the stimulus to finally make him do this?
2. Psychopaths generally do not have empathy- however, he seems to capable of demonstrating it- for example, you cannot truly appreciate Grave of the Fireflies (one of his favorite films) without any empathy, since the movie is based on arousing empathy for victims of war. So maybe some psycopaths can have empathy but also have all of the other bad qualities at the same time?
3. Why did he write on the walls, "I love my parents," after killing them?

Probably it'll take months to find out, since it usually takes forever for trials to get going.

There's even a joke that most of them go into banking.
Ha!  ;D
You know, I doubt it's just a joke...

I roomed with a guy in college who heard voices and was diagnosed as having 'psychotic tendencies' but unless you got him too drunk you'd hardly know.
Interesting if that isn't schizophrenia. The people I know that had schizophrenia you couldn't tell, either, though it seems to me that they tend to try to manage by using medication and taking it easy socially.

Brian

Quote from: Greg on May 31, 2012, 11:45:27 AM
Almost too normal, huh?  :D

Yup.

Okay, that first part I didn't know.
Still, the three things that puzzle me are:

I don't know about the three things that puzzle you, but here's a really creepy article about young psychopaths.

Interesting if that isn't schizophrenia. The people I know that had schizophrenia you couldn't tell, either, though it seems to me that they tend to try to manage by using medication and taking it easy socially.

Wasn't schizophrenia. "Bipolar disorder with psychotic tendencies." He was a quiet guy and didn't talk about it much, like you said, but apparently it was just urges to do things which he felt only off his meds and in certain stages of the bipolar.

PaulR

Sorry for posting something unrelated....

but why does reading Adorno always make me feel like a complete idiot?

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Brian on May 31, 2012, 01:11:15 PM
I don't know about the three things that puzzle you, but here's a really creepy article about young psychopaths.
That was informative. Would be nice if they developed treatment for this for children who display these tendencies.

Brian

Quote from: PaulR on May 31, 2012, 02:44:59 PM
Sorry for posting something unrelated....

but why does reading Adorno always make me feel like a complete idiot?

Adorno writes that way. His syntax is baffling, and his writing is so condensed that you really only have 2-3 sentences to understand and absorb an idea before he moves on to the next idea. If you don't get something he says, he finds no mercy for you - he keeps going. Also, at least in my experience, Adorno makes me feel dumb because he takes exactly the opposite positions as I do on nearly every subject and sets out the most derisive, insulting attacks on my views.

Karl Henning

Rhetorical scorn. Personally, I've no use for it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Opus106

I wish Beethoven had been alive to write a set of variations on this tune.

http://www.youtube.com/v/RG5bESZaTQ0

I'm only half-joking.
Regards,
Navneeth

North Star

From the GMG search engine: You may have meant to search for Schoenberg's livestock.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Opus106 on June 02, 2012, 11:32:17 AM
I wish Beethoven had been alive to write a set of variations on this tune.
I wonder if that's the original or what. It says Hatsune Miku is the singer, which I should have instinctively picked up on.

That's the Nyan cat theme:
http://www.youtube.com/v/QH2-TGUlwu4&feature=related
(my favorite version of the video is the one that loops for 100 hours).

Now to track the source...

okay, some guy with the internet name "daniwell." Whatever. I should download that Vocaloid software, though. Looks like such a fun tool to play with, considering that not even something like Sibelius can simulate actual synthesized singing of lyrics.

Szykneij

I gave up searching for my braincells a long time ago.   :)
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

PaulR

I have a question, may not be the place for it.  My friend and I watched the DVD of "Reduced Shakespeare Company", and saw they also produced a 30 minute TV show of the Reduced Ring cycle.  Out of curiosity, I searched for it with no success.  I know it is called "The Reduced Ring" and was produced for the UK's Channel 4.  Does anyone know how I can find this, or am I just out of luck?

eyeresist

Will Modafinil be the answer to my problems?