Francks - Eduard & Richard!

Started by SonicMan46, June 23, 2008, 08:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Harry on March 17, 2012, 07:39:41 AM
Interesting music, the samples are very good. But the prices are rather steep, so I wait for a possible sale.

Hi Harry - yep, those Audite discs are not much of a bargain; I've been paying about $14-$15 per CD over several years and now have eight - this is wonderful music, so you might want to give 'several' a try?  Dave :)

Leo K.

I'm still listening to Eduard's A Major symphony, and still loving it. So glad I came across this composer!

8)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Leo K on March 20, 2012, 10:20:08 AM
I'm still listening to Eduard's A Major symphony, and still loving it. So glad I came across this composer!

Hi Leo - thanks for supporting this thread that I began - this father-son team certainly deserves MUCH more attention - I hope that others will join in w/ our enthusiasm!  Dave :)

mc ukrneal

Some Franck orchestral music is on its way. I haven't looked but it may be already available at mdt or jpc. I'll be sure to get this one at some point for sure.

samples here: http://www.amazon.com/Eduard-Franck-Orchestral-Konzertst%C3%BCck-Orchester/dp/B007X07V4I/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1337607442&sr=1-1
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Leo K.

Quote from: mc ukrneal on May 21, 2012, 05:40:03 AM
Some Franck orchestral music is on its way. I haven't looked but it may be already available at mdt or jpc. I'll be sure to get this one at some point for sure.

samples here: http://www.amazon.com/Eduard-Franck-Orchestral-Konzertst%C3%BCck-Orchester/dp/B007X07V4I/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1337607442&sr=1-1

Excellent! Thanks for the heads up. I now have a recording of the Bb major symphony and will listen soon :)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Leo K on May 24, 2012, 06:42:51 AM
Excellent! Thanks for the heads up. I now have a recording of the Bb major symphony and will listen soon :)

I like that disc. I'd like it more if they had chosen another cover. What were they thinking!?!?

SonicMan46

Quote from: mc ukrneal on May 24, 2012, 06:59:12 AM
I like that disc. I'd like it more if they had chosen another cover. What were they thinking!?!?

Hi Neal - I have that disc and usually Audite's cover art w/ females are nice young ones, so your comment peaked my curiosity; looked inside the booklet, and there was a two sentence description but in German only - one phrase however may be the clue, i.e. ...die Ehefrau von Eduard Franck.. - 'wife of Eduard Franck', I believe - guess that's OK -  ;D   Dave

P.S. Please correct me to our German speaking GMGers!  :)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 24, 2012, 07:31:13 AM
Hi Neal - I have that disc and usually Audite's cover art w/ females are nice young ones, so your comment peaked my curiosity; looked inside the booklet, and there was a two sentence description but in German only - one phrase however may be the clue, i.e. ...die Ehefrau von Eduard Franck.. - 'wife of Eduard Franck', I believe - guess that's OK -  ;D   Dave

P.S. Please correct me to our German speaking GMGers!  :)
Well, that would at least give it some logic. But I still think they would have been better advised to go with something else. Some of that series has gorgeous covers, like the Renoir painting of the two girls at the piano. And I like the most recent one too. It's hard enough to sell these things (and a composer few know), without adding to the difficulty.

Of course, this doesn't change the wonderful music inside, but a little bit more forethought on the packaging seems warranted.

mc ukrneal

I mentioned ripping a couple of Spohr cd's a few days ago. Well, last night, I ripped a couple Franck cds too! The bits I heard sounded great and so looking forward to a listen to these:
[asin]B0002IQDGU[/asin]

SonicMan46

Quote from: mc ukrneal on September 29, 2012, 04:13:10 AM
I mentioned ripping a couple of Spohr cd's a few days ago. Well, last night, I ripped a couple Franck cds too! The bits I heard sounded great and so looking forward to a listen to these:

Neal - looking forward to your comments!  These guys wrote some D*&M good chamber music - Dave  ;D

SonicMan46

Boy, Francks TTT!  Last post by me in 2012 and I've not added much to my dozen or so discs of this father-son composing team! Audite CDs are not cheap (just checked BRO and there are 4 Franck discs shown previously in this thread) - the first two below are additions and MP3 downloads; the third orchestral recording was shown previously but never purchased by me - Spotify has about 10 of these discs including the one in question, so will take a listen and may buy as a DL?

Also, was looking on Amazon and not much else has appeared in recent years, unless found from other sellers?  Dave :)

San Antone

Not long ago I discovered Eduard Franck on Spotify and created a playlist of his chamber works.  I like it, although wasn't blown away.  I had not heard of nor heard any music by Richard Franck.  There is less of his music available, but again, not earth-shaking, but pleasant music for a Sunday afternoon.

SonicMan46

Quote from: San Antone on February 16, 2020, 10:36:31 AM
Not long ago I discovered Eduard Franck on Spotify and created a playlist of his chamber works.  I like it, although wasn't blown away.  I had not herd of nor heard any music by Richard Franck.  There is less of his music available, but again, not earth-shaking, but pleasant music for a Sunday afternoon.

Hi San Antone - I've not listened to these CDs in a number of years and those MP3 additions in my last post were probably from a half dozen years ago!  So, in the next few days, I'll devote some time to the Francks - from my recollection, I agree w/ your comments; both were best in their chamber efforts IMO and Eduard in particular harkened back to the earlier 19th century, i.e. Mendelssohn and Schumann but of course not up to their chamber excellence.

I'll also take a listen to Eduard's Audite orchestral recording w/ Ola Rudner - it is available on Spotify - Jerry Dubins in his Fanfare review completely 'thrashed' the effort, so now curious - for those interested, the comments are attached along w/ a rather long and good Amazon review w/ the opposite opinion.  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Perusing Amazon this afternoon and had completely missed a 2nd volume of Piano Trios on Audite w/ the Swiss Piano Trio - really enjoy the first volume w/ a different group - AND even an excellent Jerry Dubins review (attached for those interested) - had ten bucks credit there so the cost was half price!  Still planning to listen to the orchestral works on Spotify.  Dave :)

Leo K.

I've been listening to E. Franck again. In particular his chamber music on the Audite label: the piano trios, string quartets, and the sextets. Just fantastic middle period romantic expression and forms.

Scion7

I appreciate Audite doing all these - but it would be nice to see some other labels picking up, too.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."