Mozart's Don Giovanni

Started by AB68, May 09, 2007, 11:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AB68

I am not very familiar with operas. I have only seen 2 or 3 opera performances in my entire life. So I need a reccomandation for Don Giovanni which I am going to see in Prague this summer.
A complete recording of this opera that is available on Amazon.
Hope somebody can reccomend some good recordings. Thanks in advance.

val

My preferred version is a legendary one, conducted by Fritz Busch, with the best Don Giovanni I ever heard, John Brownlee, and also with the best Leporello, Salvatore Baccaloni. It is a recording made in 1936 (?) in the Glyndenbourne Festival.

But there are other very good versions:

- Giulini, with Sutherland, Schwarzkopf and Sciutti (the best female trio I know).
- Rosbaud, with Stich Randal, Gedda and Danco (and the best Comendatore, Rafael AriƩ).
- Fricsay, with Fischer Dieskau and Seefried. (but I never liked much F. Dieskau as Don Giovanni, he seems too artificial. The best of this version is the direction of Fricsay and the best Zerlina I know, Irmgard Seefried).
- Haitink, with Allen (a superb direction of Haitink, perhaps the best since Fritz Busch, a good Don Giovanni by Thomas Allen and a superb  Elvira, Maria Ewing; the other soloists are not at the same level).

knight66

This also is excellent.....a modern recording.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

uffeviking

Quote from: knight on May 10, 2007, 05:09:06 AM
This also is excellent.....a modern recording.

Mike

This is the one I have been waiting for to come out on DVD; no luck so far. Can you tell us more about it? Is it as great as I expect from those two outstanding young singers and actors? I finally gave in and ordered the CD and it's on the way, should have it in a few days.  8)

AB68

Thanks for the reccomendations. I chose the Haitink version, hope it's as good as the reviews suggest. Can't wait to hear it.

knight66

Lis, It is an excellent all round version and the two main-men are both excellent. I am certain you will enjoy it. Abbado rarely fires blanks these days.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Mozart

QuoteI am going to see in Prague this summer.

You Bastard!

My first and favorite DG

Sean

I also bought the Haitink on CD, he's highly recommendable in Mozart and this is a particularly rich and rewarding effort all round. I got to know the piece, my first opera, from the Klemperer on LP and though flawed the conducting is superb and a fine way of getting into his suitably charmless and stoic classical style, finding things no one else does, and of course it has a special place for me.

Que

This is as good as it gets for non-HIP.

Q

Bunny

Quote from: Que on May 10, 2007, 10:54:30 AM
This is as good as it gets for non-HIP.

Q

Great minds must think alike. ;)

stingo

I saw the Terfel/Fleming DG DVD a while back and enjoyed it. Levine does a fine job with the orchestra too.

Todd

Giulini first.  If you feel a need for something in better, more modern sound (and you very well may not), then Abbado.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya