Howard Shore/David Cronenberg's opera: THE FLY

Started by gomro, June 26, 2008, 01:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gomro

Cronenberg's take on The Fly is an acknowledged classic of "Gothic SF;" however, this new project sounds like the road to madness, or at the very least, bankruptcy:

http://www.theflytheopera.com/

Josquin des Prez

More trash from a decaying culture. Gee, i can't wait.  ::)

knight66

Seemingly, in development, there is a musical about the life of Nelson Mandela.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

jochanaan

Shore seems like an odd choice for composer: way too conservative musically for the subject matter.  I suppose Elliott Carter, George Crumb and Charles Wuorinen were all unavailable...? ;D
Imagination + discipline = creativity

gomro

Quote from: jochanaan on June 29, 2008, 09:09:42 AM
Shore seems like an odd choice for composer: way too conservative musically for the subject matter.  I suppose Elliott Carter, George Crumb and Charles Wuorinen were all unavailable...? ;D

Shore wrote the music for the Cronenberg film (though that music doesn't recur in the opera)and claims he's had this mad idea since that time (1986). So, basically, it's his baby. Based on the little clip at the website, it sure SHOULD have been in someone else's hands, since I hear nothing attractive about that clip at all...

Add Davidovsky, Penderecki and, yes, Philip Glass to the composers that probably should have had at it. (Too bad Bernstein is dead: "When you're a fly, you're a fly all the way, from your big compound eyes, to the acid you spray...") But, as Joaquin said, this is little more than decadent detritus and I'm not sure anyone could make it work. And I was very impressed by the movie all those years ago. 

bhodges

Quote from: gomro on June 29, 2008, 11:34:35 AM
(Too bad Bernstein is dead: "When you're a fly, you're a fly all the way, from your big compound eyes, to the acid you spray...")

That was hilarious...you should continue and flesh out the entire song, if that's a sample! 

I'm cautiously optimistic about the opera.  The subject really could work, but I have little experience with Shore's music, and wonder whether he's up to the challenge of a "large form."  (I've not listened to the clip on his site yet.)  The Cronenberg film is one of my favorites.

--Bruce

bhodges

OK, thanks to Opera Chic, here are some photos from the Paris production.  Warning: it's not exactly La Bohème;D

--Bruce