Xenakis´s UPIC system and related

Started by mikkeljs, July 01, 2008, 05:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikkeljs

I would really like to get some computer programs like fx the UPIC. But I have seen pictures of it, and it looks quite expensive and claumsy. I thought, there might be an updated version of this, or something related, that every one with a low economy can get?

greg

I was wondering the same thing....... i bet there isn't. Probably no one uses it anymore, i've done a google search....

lukeottevanger

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on July 01, 2008, 09:47:56 AM
I was wondering the same thing....... i bet there isn't. Probabty no one uses it anymore, i've done a google search....

Not a very good one, then Greg. Number 3 on google when you search 'Xenakis UPIC' leads to this page which in turn links to this one from which you can download Iannix, UPIC in a modern reconstruction.

greg

Quote from: lukeottevanger on July 01, 2008, 10:18:21 AM
Not a very good one, then Greg. Number 3 on google when you search 'Xenakis UPIC' leads to this page which in turn links to this one from which you can download Iannix, UPIC in a modern reconstruction.
:o
Awesome!
I have the program open right now......... trying to figure out how to use it, in fact, how to even draw a line in the first place.

greg

Ok, I've got the tutorial plus a bunch of examples (how decorative!) I just don't hear any sound playback at all.  :P
You know anything about this program, Luke?

lukeottevanger

Nah, I'm just your own personal google wizard  ;D  0:)

but I'm tempted to have a look, though....

greg

Quote from: lukeottevanger on July 01, 2008, 12:05:59 PM
Nah, I'm just your own personal google wizard  ;D  0:)

but I'm tempted to have a look, though....
please take a look........
right here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=174402

the tutorial is a pdf and the example scores and for the program itself you'll need winrar, or something that opens tgz files. I'm curious to know if it's just my computer where if you open one of these scores, there's no sound. I'm dying to hear them!

lukeottevanger

Yes, I've got that far - like you I can't hear anything, but I think we're probably making some fundamental mistake/working under a basic misapprehension here.

lukeottevanger

Yes, I don't think this is supposed to playback audio at all. It's a graphical thing, used to create 'scores' in the sense of lines, curves, vectors, points etc. moving in time. I guess it's the sort of thing Xenakis may have used to help him create/plot arboresences. Or something like that. And that one requires that score to be 'plugged into' something else if one wants to hear playback.

lukeottevanger

Having said that, I did actually just open a score which squeaked and grunted a little. But that may have been my computer audio playing up - it does that a lot.

greg

i think it said something about being played by in different programs, such as c sound.

uggggggghhhhhhh

mikkeljs

Quote from: lukeottevanger on July 01, 2008, 10:18:21 AM

Thanks a lot!  :o I did a google search some months ago and after several  hours I didn´t found anything. Have just installed it and am trying to draw a line...

lukeottevanger

Quote from: mikkeljs on July 01, 2008, 11:59:20 PM
Thanks a lot!  :o I did a google search some months ago and after several  hours I didn´t found anything. Have just installed it and am trying to draw a line...

Good luck with it! I feel guilty finding it so easily, then - third result on my first search!