Grace Williams

Started by cilgwyn, December 01, 2016, 02:12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

Why do Welsh composers get a rough ride!?  Not sure any of the following (all very fine) composers really get the praise and attention their music deserves....

William Mathias
Alun Hoddinott
Daniel Jones
Grace Williams

relm1

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 07, 2021, 06:08:08 AM
Why do Welsh composers get a rough ride!?  Not sure any of the following (all very fine) composers really get the praise and attention their music deserves....

William Mathias
Alun Hoddinott
Daniel Jones
Grace Williams

The same could be said of all composers.  Most don't get the praise and attention their music deserves.  Check out Norwegian composers for example, some very fine music isn't even premiered let alone available commercially.  This is a common problem across geographies. 

Maestro267

As long as you enjoy it, that's all that matters. It's impossible for everyone deserving to get the praise and attention their music deserves; we simply don't have time for it.

Irons

What about composers who receive no attention at all - performance or recording. I wager there is much worthwhile music that has slipped into oblivion.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Maestro267

Again, there is too much music and not enough time. Trust me, I wish we could completely discard the established classics for a year or two (I think their reputation can survive not being heard a hundred times a week for a bit) and fill those spaces with "neglected" composers instead but that's never gonna happen so get used to it.

Irons

Quote from: Maestro267 on November 09, 2021, 12:25:52 AM
Again, there is too much music and not enough time. Trust me, I wish we could completely discard the established classics for a year or two (I think their reputation can survive not being heard a hundred times a week for a bit) and fill those spaces with "neglected" composers instead but that's never gonna happen so get used to it.

I find this forum to be the bastion of the "neglected" composer. Unless I miss them I don't come across too many Beethoven/Brahms posts. The great advantage of the digital era over analogue is the availability of "neglected" music on that format. My point was not neglected but unheard.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Maestro267

Unhearing is the ultimate form of neglection. It still comes under that umbrella as the extreme example of such.

calyptorhynchus

BBC Radio 3 broadcast Grace Williams' Concert Overture, an early work from 1932, on 1 June 2023.

Link to a download of the performance:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/9vlaco5lt72h01p/Williams_Concet_Overture.mp3/file
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton