"Light" Sopranos

Started by JoshLilly, May 10, 2007, 08:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshLilly

Nancy Argenta (stage name of Canadian soprano Nancy Herbison) is my favourite singer, but I get the impression she's not a popularity superstar among music fans. There's something about her voice that I just love; I even listen to J.S. Bach if she's singing it. I first discovered her listening to her as Zerlina in Norrington's Don Giovanni recording on EMI; I still think this is her best recording to date. I recently obtained a few more difficult to get CDs, like Argenta singing Schubert lieder and a complete Haydn's Die Schöpfung. I'm hoping to get all her non-Baroque recordings, but sadly (from my perspective!!) that happens to be her focus. I'm still lacking the R.Strauss "Four Last Songs", and maybe other stuff I don't even know about.

My other favourite singers are people like Kathleen Battle (who's not quite the same type as I'm talking about), a rarely heard Hungarian named Edit Károly (maybe in raw sound the most beautiful voice I've ever heard), and so on. Who else is like this? So far, the only name I've ever gotten back when asking elsewhere is Emma Kirkby. I find her pleasant for, oh, 3 minutes, then her voice grates on me, and I don't know why. But yes, she's the same "type". I haven't really found anyone else with a voice of that sort.

Don

Quote from: JoshLilly on May 10, 2007, 08:53:17 AM
Nancy Argenta (stage name of Canadian soprano Nancy Herbison) is my favourite singer, but I get the impression she's not a popularity superstar among music fans. There's something about her voice that I just love; I even listen to J.S. Bach if she's singing it.

I even listen to Argenta as long as she's singing Bach.  Seriously though, I don't find Argenta particularly engaging, but I do consider Emma Kirby among the best sopranos I've heard for Bach's repertoire.

knight66

It is difficult in a way to suggest someone you would like, as that kind of voice is now a days often restricted to Baroque music.

You might try Rita Streich, no Baroque with her, but a light airy soprano. Here is a link where you can hear samples. There is quite a bit of her work available now. The Saint-Saens on the disc is a real find.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rita-Streich-Waltzes-Lyrical-Songs/dp/B000006143/ref=sr_1_6/202-3841603-2921410?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1178817376&sr=1-6

If you like her, let me know and I will have another think.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.