Author Topic: Mieczysław Weinberg (1919-1996)  (Read 120296 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: Mieczysław Weinberg (1919-1996)
« Reply #520 on: September 18, 2020, 11:04:20 PM »
I own the Lande/St Petersburg one on Naxos. If you've heard both, how would you compare them? (also, though I don't mean to derail the thread, that CD interests me doubly because as well as loving Weinberg, Szymanowski's 3rd is one of my favourites - what did you think of Fedoseyev's version?)
Hello and welcome to the Forum.
I preferred the Fedoseyev version to the Naxos, although as Scion7 suggests, there is nothing wrong with that version either. Best of all is Kondrashin, but I'm not sure how available that is. I'm also an admirer of Symanowski's 3rd Symphony 'The Song of the Night' and enjoyed this new recording. I like the version on Chandos as well (Polyansky I think).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • Too late. Too little.
    • Soundcloud
  • Currently Listening to:
    I am revisiting my CD collection.
« Reply #521 on: September 19, 2020, 03:08:34 AM »
The problem for me with "newer" Naxos CDs is they hardly ever go cheap in the second hand market. Early Naxos discs are often dirty cheap used, but the Naxos discs released after 2005 or so rarely go under say £3 used. For me the whole point of Naxos has been low price and Naxos has developped into a "mid-price" label rather than a budget label. That's why I go to full price labels instead to get superb stuff, but I also have to buy much less to keep the expensies reasonable.

For example the best deal for Symphony 6 I can see is £6.08+ £1.79 Delivery = £7.87 = 8,75 €! That's for a USED CD! In the past I walked into a store called "Anttila" in Helsinki and they had "buy 4, pay 3" Naxos campaign so I got 4 CDs for 3*8 € = 24 € = 6 € (£5.5) per disc for NEW CDs in plastic wrappings! So, I can get old Naxos cheap, but Naxos DIDN'T release Weinberg in the past! All of it is relatively new and "expensive." Other Weinberg releases are some old stuff on obcure labels, much of it OOP and the prices reflect that! CPO doesn't do symphonies because they coordinate with Naxos. So, exploring Weinberg's symphonies has been a pain in the ass! So frustrating! If Weinberg was as "famous" as Shostakovich (and he should be imo!)  there would be many boxes of all symphonies at affordable prices (all symphonies for 79 euros for example).

So, instead of Weinberg's symphonies I might buy a MIRARE label release of German baroque because they do it JUST RIGHT for my taste and it is heavenly! Pricy, but heavenly!
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW track "Yin Yang"

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
  • A vajda az én dolgom, és az üzlet jó.
« Reply #522 on: September 19, 2020, 06:07:24 AM »
take a drive into the Russian Federation - maybe you can find them priced more to your budget?
The Germans, who make doctrines out of everything, deal with music learnedly; the Italians, being voluptuous, seek in it lively, though fleeting, sensations; the French, more vain than perceptive, manage to speak of it wittily; and the English pay for it . . . - Stendhal

Online vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #523 on: September 20, 2020, 01:48:49 AM »
The problem for me with "newer" Naxos CDs is they hardly ever go cheap in the second hand market. Early Naxos discs are often dirty cheap used, but the Naxos discs released after 2005 or so rarely go under say £3 used. For me the whole point of Naxos has been low price and Naxos has developped into a "mid-price" label rather than a budget label. That's why I go to full price labels instead to get superb stuff, but I also have to buy much less to keep the expensies reasonable.

For example the best deal for Symphony 6 I can see is £6.08+ £1.79 Delivery = £7.87 = 8,75 €! That's for a USED CD! In the past I walked into a store called "Anttila" in Helsinki and they had "buy 4, pay 3" Naxos campaign so I got 4 CDs for 3*8 € = 24 € = 6 € (£5.5) per disc for NEW CDs in plastic wrappings! So, I can get old Naxos cheap, but Naxos DIDN'T release Weinberg in the past! All of it is relatively new and "expensive." Other Weinberg releases are some old stuff on obcure labels, much of it OOP and the prices reflect that! CPO doesn't do symphonies because they coordinate with Naxos. So, exploring Weinberg's symphonies has been a pain in the ass! So frustrating! If Weinberg was as "famous" as Shostakovich (and he should be imo!)  there would be many boxes of all symphonies at affordable prices (all symphonies for 79 euros for example).

So, instead of Weinberg's symphonies I might buy a MIRARE label release of German baroque because they do it JUST RIGHT for my taste and it is heavenly! Pricy, but heavenly!

I agree—Naxos post-2008 or so is too rich for my blood. They'll be $12-15 new, and not much less than that used, maybe $11 apiece. Cheaper to go with another label at that point. Though it might be said that Naxos did step up their quality game in recent decades compared to their original run (which did have some gems).

Offline Roy Bland

• God listens short prayers
« Reply #524 on: October 10, 2020, 04:52:55 PM »

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
« Reply #525 on: October 10, 2020, 06:00:25 PM »
That disc was released in March 2020, but Amazon doesn't list it.  Available via Presto, though.
The Germans, who make doctrines out of everything, deal with music learnedly; the Italians, being voluptuous, seek in it lively, though fleeting, sensations; the French, more vain than perceptive, manage to speak of it wittily; and the English pay for it . . . - Stendhal

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #526 on: October 10, 2020, 06:06:49 PM »

How am I supposed to resist that? <shakes fist>

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
« Reply #527 on: October 10, 2020, 09:15:52 PM »
pull yourself together! you're not some robot, man! willpower!!!!   :P

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #528 on: February 07, 2021, 04:06:38 PM »

A study of the quartets:

https://www.academia.edu/28121947/The_String_Quartets_of_Mieczysław_Weinberg_A_Critical_Study?email_work_card=abstract-read-more

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #529 on: February 07, 2021, 04:45:04 PM »
A study of the quartets:

https://www.academia.edu/28121947/The_String_Quartets_of_Mieczysław_Weinberg_A_Critical_Study?email_work_card=abstract-read-more

Many thanks.

I've been listening a lot to the 20th Symphony, Op. 150
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Old San Antone

« Reply #530 on: February 07, 2021, 05:57:27 PM »
A study of the quartets:

Interesting.  Weinberg's quartets are the works I am interested in the most.  I will take a look, although I generally don't enjoy analyses of music.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #531 on: February 07, 2021, 06:19:09 PM »
Interesting.  Weinberg's quartets are the works I am interested in the most.  I will take a look, although I generally don't enjoy analyses of music.

The quartets are all excellent.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot