Iannis Xenakis (1922-2001)

Started by gomro, May 10, 2007, 01:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on March 15, 2017, 09:31:11 PM
Is this any good?

Personally, I prefer either a painting or actual photograph of the composer than a building.

Mirror Image

Okay, any of these two pictures would look good against a black background IMHO:

[Click to enlarge]

[Click to enlarge]

The font I would use would be something mechanical looking. Now, this would be a good shirt design IMHO. :)

snyprrr

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on March 19, 2017, 09:49:31 PM
Snyprrr can we have an IX party? I'll bring the drinks, invite all the Greek woman you like and we do a marathon?[/color]

It's bedtime Cornelius ;) :P...zzz...zzz...zzz... (signal rhythms)...zzz...zzz...

snyprrr

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on March 23, 2017, 10:28:26 PM
Interesting what you where saying a while ago Snyprrr about Feldman.

IX and Feldman seem to be a perfect antithesis of each other, making them perfect companions.
Feldman is the abstract ticking of the clock of time, to the man on the street, city and air. Everything happens in a way that is disassociated from this city dweller. Feldman is like an observer (not unlike Cage), and the world is experienced through that personal perspective.
Xenakis, on the other hand is the primal forces of nature that on any day could destroy that figurative city. He is also at the the psychological base of human and animal's being. He is an assimilation of these forces and remains rooted in the pure essence of human being and emotion.

Actually that might make a fascinating thread, "Allegories for composers' philosophies"?  :)

what did you think the first time you heard that actual MELODY in the middle of 'Hiketides'?? That was an eye opener

snyprrr

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on March 25, 2017, 10:59:45 PM
Even though it's far from his greatest masterpieces (of which there are a lot), Pithoprakta is an incredible force of nature!

..............Also, those heavy Webernisms in Archorripsis  :laugh:

The former is one of the strangest sounding pieces of all time, highly underrated. The latter- I've gotten used to the sound of the wailing oboe in the original recording and have a hard time with the new one; the old one just has this feeling of "ennui"- the music breaking of its own sadness, a very "out there" carnival carousel in a deserted landscape of gray clouds.

SO- I think IX's last work proper would have ended up sounding like the Ebony Concerto. huh 8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on March 31, 2017, 06:55:37 PM
Once I get a grip on my academic essay writing, I will be considering starting a blog to discuss the complete works of IX chronologically. It may be somewhat like that Stockhausen in space blog from that other resident of GMG (I forget his name), but in my terms. Whatcha thoughts?  ;)

If you do an analysis on Jonchaies, I'll be reading it.

snyprrr

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on April 02, 2017, 02:14:03 PM
Don't worry Snyprrr, I will share some pics  ;)

"pics or it didn't happen"lol :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: you read my mind

I was at one of those "university libraries" and happened upon the IX books, and there were pics of... something concerning the score of 'Mikka', and it was like Chinese Calligraphy... like, each "duck call" of the violin was shown in graphic detail, with a line towards the top or bottom indicating the "host note"... wah wah waaah wah wah waah, like a series of graphic portrayals of the music... I thought this was the "graphic score", but I don't think so...

anyhow...

I'm having my Stravinsky Epiphany, and just saw Malec and Xenakis and Varese... all standing on a mountain... lol...

I'm glad I'll have IX to listen to after StravinskyMania subsides, if it does... I guess I'm pretending that IS has IX "in him" (except for the computer math), prehistoric IX, like I'm an archaeologist :laugh:

Mandryka

Interesting note by James Harley here

https://www.fields.utoronto.ca/programs/scientific/12-13/xenakis/xenakis.html

(I came across it while thinking about Ergma)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

snyprrr

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on April 03, 2017, 10:37:31 PM
sss...sss.sss..sss......Snyprr did I scare you off???  :-\ :-\ :-[ :-[ ??? ??? :'( :'( :'(

No... sorry... wow, a week later :-[ haha

Yea, those are just bubbling! 'Antikhthon', you say? Verrry impressive... 'Antikhthon' sounds (like 'Ata') like his most Stravinskian works, no?

I can see now how I will transfer IgorMania to Xenakis... start with the works of the 60s when IS stopped composing, up to the 1972-3 break.

I'm now struggling in the final throes of IgorMania, mostly shocked that I have run out of actual works!! It's almost time tio move forward...

(so, have you listened to 'Antikhthon' and compared with your pics?... must be exciting ;))

snyprrr

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on April 12, 2017, 02:01:06 AM
The day I finally get my hands on that Lichens score, there will be so much saliva, I tells you! "I can feel it coming in the air tonight...oh lord. I've been waiting for this moment for all my life, oh lord!"   ;)  ;D ;D ;D

lol, have you looked into... women? :laugh: No, seriously, I get the drool factor, haha!!

I still think 'Antikhthon' has a bit of the ole IS because of the regimented quality, the ordered quality here- seems to be his most ordered piece? along with 'Ata'?... yea, I'm ready to jump the Igor ship soon...

snyprrr

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on April 18, 2017, 07:49:03 PM
Well regarding Antikhthon, I'd say that most post-1964 works are highly organised in a linear fashion (in the block form Stravinsky made famous).
Antikhthon is a very dramatic piece, so surprise it was originally written for a ballet. It really makes incredible use of the vast number of musicians it utilities and has many alluring sororities (and unusual timbral combinations aka like Lichens). I haven't STUDIED it, despite looking at it last week but it is among his greatest orchestral works. I always get a kick out of hearing it, LOVE it!

Now Lichens, studying the (unavailable) score for that WITH a woman would be the greatest experience a man can have  ;)

I want that score so bad!!!!!!!  >:( >:( >:(

awright... I'm taking 'Antikhthon' with me today! ;) will report

Mandryka

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on April 18, 2017, 07:49:03 PM
Antikhthon . . .  LOVE it!

I agree with you about this, I hadn't heard it before and I like it a lot.

Mandryka

Today I listened to two versions of Charisma, a sort of tombeau that Xenakis wrote after the death a friend.  I was very very impressed by the one with Siefried Palm and Hans Deinzer, which seems as moving as any baroque tombeau.

Mandryka

Does anyone have a recording of Cendrées they can upload for me?

Mandryka

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on April 19, 2017, 02:40:55 PM
Yes, Charisma is dashing but it's soooo short   :-[  Love that little miniature, makes me yearn for a Xenakis solo clarinet piece (that we didn't get)  :(

When you listen to a lot of 17th century keyboard music, Charisma sounds just long enough, it's all a matter of expectations as suppose.

Mandryka

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on April 19, 2017, 10:52:02 PM
There's two recordings on Youtube??

There's also this I just found, taken from an LP I think, I can't see the details.

https://archive.org/details/agp99

Mandryka

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on April 19, 2017, 11:25:41 PM
Ooh! I'll check it out!

The recording is from Konstantin Simonovich directing L'ensemble Instrumental de la musique contemporaine de Paris. I think it is exceptional.

The music is unbelievably expressive and affecting.

snyprrr

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on April 19, 2017, 11:25:41 PM
Ooh! I'll check it out!

I love Cendrees, there are (unsuprisingly) some real "wow!!" moments in that work.

He always had such a distinct way of writing for choir, I can't put it to words.  :D

Wait... Whaaat?

Of course there's only "one" 'Cendrees', the old Erato LP that is the viddie you're watching... I thought you'd heard it already? It's the only recording.

I thought the flute solo should become the "Xenakis flute piece", but no one ever did that...

Quote from: Mandryka on April 20, 2017, 08:29:08 AM
The recording is from Konstantin Simonovich directing L'ensemble Instrumental de la musique contemporaine de Paris. I think it is exceptional.

The music is unbelievably expressive and affecting.

Next is 'Nekuia', and then 'Anemoessa',... those are the '3 Works for Chorus and Orchestra', which would have been the grail for Tamayo to have recorded... ahhh well...

'Cendrees' is THE first work of the 'New Xenakis', the Mature Xenakis, the Xenakis from 1973-1986/88. This is THE work that has ALL that yummy cool stuff, and it's soooo Greek and Ancient sounding and just... aaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

But, 'Nekuia' is also @26 mins., and that is one heavy mo-fo there, very almosthypnotic, oriental, Sacre like in mystrery...

'Anemoessa' ('Like the Wind'?) is a windy affair, cool as fuuuuuuuuu

Yea, those are 'The Three'

THE THREE

snyprrr

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on April 20, 2017, 06:10:32 PM
Yes, I didn't realize there was only one recording (which of course, I've got). But I did figure it out when they sounded EXACTLY the same, to what I've got  :laugh: :laugh:

the big Xenakis boner fade :laugh:... yea, I've had that happen a few times :laugh:

You've heard the 'Xenakis in New York' CD? WOW- the actual worst recording in the history of music, but absolutely essential for the works contained. Oh how I wish 'Kai' and 'Kulieen'(?) had Boulez recordings.

still haven't made it out of my Igor/Craft brambles... coming soon...

snyprrr

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on April 20, 2017, 06:22:50 PM
Yes I've come across that CD once, it was one of the strangest moments in my life. Just look at the cover alone, lol:

??? ??? :-[ :-[ :blank: :blank: I repeat,  ??? ??? ??? ???

Btw, I lovey love the middle part of Cendrees with the flute solo that transitions into a Phlegra-esque wind section  ;D ;D

OH, THAT COVER :o ??? :o ???

he looks like... silly... Bornstein probably put him up to it.- standing in that window... oy vey!!

committed to 'Antikhthon' day... somehow... some... how....