Iannis Xenakis (1922-2001)

Started by gomro, May 10, 2007, 01:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Antikhthon

Yea, it's loud as fuuuu...

I've got a slight temple throb this morning, so... I was able to handle it... you really have to pay attention, some things just come and go, like those gyroscopic sounding up and down glisses in the strings- so I could "hear" the ballet action there...
it's quite the regimented piece, though... I've always maintained it's his simplest... well, don't want to say that,... but, along with 'Akrata', it's almost spare... but not...

I dunno, I find it unique in a way for him... this was the last work before he "matured" with 'Cendrees' and 'Evryali', into the 70s... 'Antikhthon' in my mind is the very last of the 60s works.- as evidenced by being on the Howarth album...

I hear the Sravinskian organizational principle at work, tho...

oh, it was just too loud for me today :(.. yea, I'm bein a puss :laugh:

snyprrr

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on April 20, 2017, 06:10:32 PM
Yes, I didn't realize there was only one recording (which of course, I've got). But I did figure it out when they sounded EXACTLY the same, to what I've got  :laugh: :laugh:

Do you realize that almost all of Xenakis's late Percussion Music can be traced to the very last "drum roll" of 'Historie du Soldat'? Check it out, that whole piece is full of pre-Xenakis rolls. I'd say that 'O-MEGA's ending is based on '...Soldat'.

snyprrr

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on May 12, 2017, 07:18:19 PM
my interests have tended to be outside of classical music lately.

i'm m.i.a. too :(... you did hear about the iggy relic i was bequeathed? i promise pics soon... yea, i'm having an experience lately, is it the culmination of all things??? :o

hummus+pita days :P :-*

Cato

Quote from: snyprrr on May 15, 2017, 09:51:05 AM
i'm m.i.a. too :(... you did hear about the iggy relic i was bequeathed?

WHAT?!  IGGY POP died?!

I didn't even know he was sick! 0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Alien I am curious to know if you have analysed much Xenakis and if you could tell us about that, seeing that you are the Xenakis expert here. ^_^

aleazk

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on May 17, 2017, 09:46:31 PM
(even if I don't understand the mathematics i :laugh: )

In this interview he explains pretty straightforwardly his "probability approach" to composition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4nj2nklbts

Probably you already know that, but, in any case, I leave it as an addition to this Xen.  :)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Thanks so much Alien. It would be really interesting to hear about his works from your informed understanding of them.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Thank you for going above and beyond, Alien! I know that this will help me discover some more Xenakis and have a better understanding of his works. I hope others can benefit from this as well. :)

snyprrr

Quote from: Neil Asuolubaftaht on June 01, 2017, 04:48:43 PM
If you don't return Snyprrr, I'm gonna....

:)

yo bruthamaynge... da man been keepin me down, y'see... pimpin ain't ez   ;)

Quote from: Neil Asuolubaftaht on June 03, 2017, 01:13:22 AM
Where are you Snyprrr???????  >:( >:( >:(

watchin 'Willie Dynamite' and 'The 7-Ups'... I'm still STUCK in IgorLand, just can't seem to break free...

PLEASE SEND THREE BEAUTIFUL FEMALE KARATE SPIES TO BREAK ME OUT!!!!!!ASAP!!!!!!

please! :P

YEA-I might not be good for a little while- but I will try to find a Xenakis "in" from my Igorism... might have to start with 'Metastaseis' or 'Rebonds'....I know, it's a long road back to the farm...

hang in there

or, take Teresa May's advice, and RUN.HIDE.REPORT.

oy vey :(

IX's face wound is so iconic of the REAL world we live in- keep in mind that IX's "sound" comes from the sounds of war...

WAR

HORRIBLE WAR

all wars are bankers' wars

snyprrr

Quote from: Neil Asuolubaftaht on June 01, 2017, 04:48:43 PM

why can't I do fun stuff like that? oh, giffy 0:)

btw- listening now to 'a R.' (Takahashi) in your honoure ;)

snyprrr

Quote from: Neil Asuolubaftaht on June 05, 2017, 02:26:39 AM
Tell the man to piss off, then find your self a beer and the nearest IX CD you can reach. Put the CD on, have a bubble bath and then drink the beer while simultaneously relaxing to the dissonant thumping and hissing of your stereo.

Once you have attained an enlightened state of mind (or at least a less distracted one), lock your Igormania disks in a safe and give the key to your landlord.

Yep a good detective or noir film is good!  ;D
Ok Snyprrr I'll do you a deal. You trade me some Hawaiian chicks and we got a deal!                  ;)   

Hit. The. Road. and make those dreams come true  :D

I say a contrary to that, where like pretty much all of Darmstadt where making music in spite of the horrific things that had/where going on with the world wars. They where devoted to their craft and kept those artistic innovations flourishing into the 60s and beyond  :)

I have a true admiration for all of them, it wasn't an easy time to live through  :(

You realize that was Post #666? Sounds like you were making a deal there... >:D...

snyprrr

Quote from: Neil Asuolubaftaht on June 06, 2017, 04:43:01 PM
Woah!  :o

You know... musicians and deals with the devil go a long way back,... just trying to save you some angst! ;) I was shown pretty clearly why i didn't "make it"- and it's a good thing I'm sure- everyone wants their Grail, but if you lose yourself getting it, what have you become?

In a way, I have that problem with Great Artists Who Are Monsters... anyhow,... can't engage, must go now 2 werke, ach du liebe!! :'(

from 'a R.; to Ravel's Piano Concerto, and now the last Stravinsky ordered arrived... you see, this mania will take some time to manage... I'm getting kind of becoming a serial monogamist with my listening habits, chortle!! :laugh:

I'll shoot for ... mmm... how bout 'Jalons' next?

snyprrr

Stravinsky only went so far as to "copy" Webern. Xenakis only went "so far" also... what is the work being led up to, and from which all else recedes?

Stravinsky has sort of ruined a lot of Modernism for me at the moment. I want clarity... not that Ferneyhough can't/isn't clear, but I seem to desire A CERTAIN NUMBER OF NOTES- not more, not less... none are "wrong", it's just that I WANT a certain number...

I'm thinking that there is a CERTAIN limit... certainty... all the experimentation IS DONE (is it not? really?)... we are now truly ONLY COMPOSING- composing things out of other, CREATED, "things". Nothing new under the sun.

Xenakis seems to define a certain number of notes for me... the inclusion of Mahler with the diamonds of Webern/Stravinsky... the unification of Sibelius/Stockhausen

(yes, I did that on purpose just to have those two names together, lol, it looks so odd and funny [(tip: esoteric GMG humoure may not be the way to go, lol)]

snyprrr

Quote from: α | ì Æ ñ on June 01, 2017, 04:48:43 PM

But now YOU'VE gone missing, and I'm asssuming that classes have just let out and you're getting drunk, lol,... am I right? Haha! All of a sudden it's summer and it's all about the tactile pleasures of youth, eh, nudge nudge, wink wink, eh, eh??!!

I must say that 'Akrata' has always been one of my fav works, period. It just has a beautiful, pacific feel to it.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

This bromance you two have could be wonderfully adapted into a Xenakis style chamber opera

snyprrr

Quote from: jessop on June 17, 2017, 02:10:45 AM
This bromance you two have could be wonderfully adapted into a Xenakis style chamber opera

Truly, there seems to be nothing quite like bonding over A Great Man's Achievements- and it appears that I can "only" get that from someone with a penis. I've had to tell a few uppity feminits I was trying to date: "If I had wanted a friend, I would have been looking for someone with a penis." If you've never seen the following look on a woman's face, well, you're in for a real treat! ???

I'm always wary of gushing friendships, but, when you're dealing with such High Concepts, it's incredibly easy to do the do-si-doh and dance around the room with another man- both of you are equally in love with the IDEA. It's the Idea. And, when you find someone who gets it with you, it makes you feel like you have found a friend.

I was wandering around one night, Halloween, and waded through my busy bar and had to go all the way to the back. And there was this young lady, and we began chatting about the day, and then I quickly found out she was a fan of the exact same thing I was (no doubt due to her father (penis by proxy)). I, of course, was instantly destroyed: cute girl+my big obsession=love at first sight. She was engaged :( Let's say we bonded over cheezee B-movies that usually only guys love, but here was a "cool chick", unheard of- she knew and loved every movie I brought up, and I dazzled her with my knowledge.

And then, once, in college...

ahhhhh :-* :'( :-* :'( :-* :'( :-* :'(

I can't tell you how many perfect women I've absolutely screwede it up with... what a numbnut I can be (as you all well know, lol)

now I'm sad

when I'm sad, only The Numerical Games of God can get me over the illusion of the tender flesh...

Xenakis's Theology will be a matter for another Post. Was IX able to transcend the Created Universe and reveal the Creator, even though he himself was (I gather) a total atheist? Or, is there actually a crucial, missing, part in all of IX's music, that, if it were present, would blow our minds ten fold from 'Lichens'? Remember, "lichens" are of the Created Universe- is IX seeking only to illustrate natural processes, or, does the hand of an Absolute Creator sneak into his cold, dead, mechanical universe, even at the Composer's ignorance? Messaien and Stravinsky were both "in tune" (let's just say, comparing to IX) with God, but their music displays no "natural processes"; IX's music sounds more like "life", but, is it only the life of "movement", or is it TRUE LIFE ETERNAL?

anyhow... another Post...

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: α | ì Æ ñ on June 18, 2017, 12:31:59 AM
Xenakis loving babes do exist Snyprrr, believe me, I've seen them. We just have to break of a few relationships  ;)

It's true, I've known one but she didn't quite get the hints from me....I only wanted to be friends. Ended up cutting contact, thankfully.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: α | ì Æ ñ on June 18, 2017, 01:32:48 AM
Oh yeah, I think I remember you saying  ???

Are you really that crazy???  :laugh:

Well i would rather not persist with a personality I'm not compatible with...... :P

snyprrr

Quote from: jessop on June 18, 2017, 01:49:00 AM
Well i would rather not persist with a personality I'm not compatible with...... :P

uh... so you're saying that IF there are actually XenakisBabes out there, they're batshit cray cray? :( That's kind of what I was thinking...

What out for the girl whose fav movie is 'Suspiria', too, lol!!

They're called 'Unicorns' for a reason guys... if you meet a girl who's down with all yer "funky guy shit", you may want to reach down and check to see if there are any... mm... "externals"...hangin around... dangling, I mean...

Met a Japanese lady last night whose husband just left her for an internet Philipino tranny... jus' sayin' :laugh:

girls + Xenakis = ???????????? (I just don't see it working)- I guess you're right, Neilster- if there is one, she's in a relationship with "Brad/Chad", and must be released by any means necessary, lol...

I keep saying- the one piece of music I have that has seen the biggest exchange of bodily fluids is the Feldman 'Piano & String Quartet',... sometimes they find it soothing, sometimes they find it creepy... it's fun when I noticed I've hit Play FOUR TIMES over the course!!!!

Playing Schubert Trios ENRAGED one woman :P

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Well I will find out if the woman with whom I am in love also enjoys the music of Iannis Xenakis

I remain hopeful. She once spent three whole days listening to nothing but Ligeti, particularly the middle period orchestral works and the etudes.