Iannis Xenakis (1922-2001)

Started by gomro, May 10, 2007, 01:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: α | ì Æ ñ on June 21, 2017, 01:13:05 AM
Wait is that (won't say screen-name), that you said about ages ago? glad you two are still going well  :)

If she like (Ligeti and) Bartok too? she does right?  :-X then Xenakis won't be too much of a stretch  ;)

Same one, yes. I don't recall I have ever spoken to her about Bartok.

Highly likely that ginger (that was her screen name :laugh: ) likes Xenakis too anyway!

snyprrr

Quote from: α | ì Æ ñ on June 21, 2017, 01:16:43 AM
What happened to your crackwhores?  :-\

They were like, "I deserve better!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

snyprrr

Quote from: α | ì Æ ñ on June 30, 2017, 03:59:32 AM
I was just reminded of this informative presentation by no other than, James Harley himself!  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQgs7DJis48

oh! popcorn time ;)

petrarch

Quote from: Mandryka on September 04, 2016, 09:54:58 PM

Quote from: James on September 04, 2016, 12:53:33 PM
Xenakis himself didn't care at all for Cage, and essentially felt 'twas inept & pointless.

I didn't know that, so thanks. Where did you learn that Xenakis said that Cage's music was inept and pointless, and that he didn't care for it at all?

IIRC, the claim is inaccurate (per Matossian or Varga, but I will confirm). James was projecting...
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

petrarch

Quote from: petrarch on July 03, 2017, 06:12:42 PM
I didn't know that, so thanks. Where did you learn that Xenakis said that Cage's music was inept and pointless, and that he didn't care for it at all?

IIRC, the claim is inaccurate (per Matossian or Varga, but I will confirm). James was projecting...

Quote from: Conversations with Iannis Xenakis, Bálint András Varga, 1996, pg 56
Varga: You were one of the few people to support the music of John Cage right from the start.
Xenakis: Yes, I liked his thinking, which is of course a characteristic product of American society. I was attracted by the freedom and lack of bias with which he approached music. He also uses improvisation--not in a vulgar way but with the help of the i ching.
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

petrarch

Video of Polytope de Cluny, with images from the production at the Festival d'Automne (appears to be the same as in the Mode 203 DVD):

http://www.ubu.com/film/xenakis_polytope.html
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

petrarch

Quote from: α | ì Æ ñ on July 04, 2017, 04:27:11 AM
Oooh! I read that book last month, fantastic conversations.

(y)

I got it when it came out  ;)...
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

snyprrr

Quote from: α | ì Æ ñ on July 10, 2017, 08:04:20 PM
Yep, now I've become bored of Xenakis because I know it all too well  :'(

mm hmm :-[

Hope you don't have to re-boot at Haydn!! ???

Ivo Malec?

snyprrr

Quote from: α | ì Æ ñ on July 10, 2017, 08:04:20 PM
Yep, now I've become bored of Xenakis because I know it all too well  :'(

I'm tryyying not to burn out on Igor... I keep telling myself I've got plenty of music that has only been listened once or twice... uh, most of it Haydn era, hrr hmmm...

That's why there's Paul Naschy! :laugh: gotta cut loose every now and then, lol...

I can feel a Xenakis Marathon brewing perhaps... just thinking about that classic Arditti set, ahhh...

snyprrr

What's a bored housewife's favoured Composer?

Xanaxis

I SAAAID IT WAS BAD!! ::) :P

snyprrr

Quote from: α | ì Æ ñ on July 11, 2017, 05:45:58 PM
I listened to Tetras last night and was like, was like "way too familiar"

What's happening to me Doc?

How will papa Iannis feel when he finds out my situation?

Is the moon really made of cheese?

scary feeling when something as awesome as IX starts becoming like oatmeal... I understand... you just can't "jump the shark" with epiphanies... there must be "down time"...

I should listen to 'Tetras' and the Luto SQ back-to-back...

snyprrr

Quote from: α | ì Æ ñ on July 15, 2017, 11:35:17 PM
Nekuia gave me the thrills today, I love that work. A piece with quite obvious nods to Bartok and Stravinsky, aye Snyprrr?  ;)

His most "inclusive" piece? I do think that intro has such a... a... aye, monumental melody (almost like slow, overlapping octopus tentacles weaving)... I really do wish someone would put the 3 Great Choral/Orchestral Works on CD- 'Cendrees', 'Nekuia', and 'Anemoessa'. THAT would be the bestest Xenakis eva! All are already in the can and waiting for Erato/Warner to lose money on. :laugh:

I do have to listen to 'Nekuia' again, though. At almost 30mins., it is his biggest "solid"- we ARE thankful that he cracked the 20min. mark every now and then! ;)

snyprrr

Quote from: α | ì Æ ñ on July 26, 2017, 02:25:26 AM
<3

I see it a lot but don't know what it means... "less than 3"???..."less than boobies"???... or is it a compromise between an "S" and an "X"?

OK, I'm gonna "try" some Xakkie today... it's gonna have to be an "off" piece... let's see...

Mandryka

Quote from: snyprrr on July 26, 2017, 06:02:22 AM
I see it a lot but don't know what it means... "less than 3"???..."less than boobies"???... or is it a compromise between an "S" and an "X"?

He's saying he loves you!

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

snyprrr

Quote from: Mandryka on July 26, 2017, 08:05:08 AM
He's saying he loves you!

awwwww 0:) :-*.....<32!! ;)

<32

/>-->}::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::{'.'.'.'.'

snyprrr

Quote from: α | ì Æ ñ on July 26, 2017, 10:21:19 AM
You are damn right about Nekuia. We are in dire need of a choir + orchestra disk, fucking timpani and mode  >:(

Listen to the whole of Vol.5 of the Timpani Cycle, the one with 'ST-48'. Boy, do I like that disc! And 'ST' just sounds great, there's even a Sibelian moment by accident, ahh, so icy and cold and brainy...

The whole CD is a shocker! And, as I've said, this is my fav 'Metastaseis' ever, and 'Pithoprakta' just makes me smile with its "mastadons on parade" intro- still the strangest sounding piece ever, no?

snyprrr

Quote from: α | ì Æ ñ on July 27, 2017, 10:10:40 PM
I wholeheartedly agree. Though Metastasis and (to a lesser degree) Pithoprakta just don't have that spice for me anymore. I love ST/48, fucking awesome!

The ST series is so awesome, a good comparative guide to orchestration too!

What do you think of ST/10?  :)

I'm finding 'Pithoprakta' fresher than ever, even though, to me, it sounds like the perfect representation of the bones of a giant mastadon. That intro still retains its WTF-factor for me... there's just nothing like that ridiculous shuffling...

Out of the ST series, I like the longer 'Atrees' the best. Of course, all the pieces are just totally representative of "space age"- they definitely have a sci-fi feel, a '50s sci-fi sound, that, though maybe dated, still soooundz as Modren as ever.

It seems the years 1954-1963 are the height of theory and practice, and that the 60s ... oh, nevermoind, I don't know how to articulate right now... coffee,... where's the coffee???......

1) With my Igor Pianola purchase, I might actually be up for that computer/keyboard disc of IX... you know?

2) Have you heard all the newer Piano Works recitals? Timpani, Pontus,.... I have left off with Takahashi...

Quote from: α | ì Æ ñ on July 26, 2017, 10:21:19 AM
You are damn right about Nekuia. We are in dire need of a choir + orchestra disk, fucking timpani and mode  >:(

The most logical would be for Warners to release the 'Nekuia'/'Ais' LP along with the 'Cendrees' LP. 'Anemoessa' is on that "40(0) Years of the Holland Festival". Only Tamayo, or some Japanese fella, would probably have the clout to record all three works anew... think of the union costs, lol.

A Warners Xenakis Box could be done... Discs 1-2 would be the current release, Disc 3 the other Erato with 'Plee-A-dees', and then Disc 4 with the above choral works.

throw us a bone why doncha,... eh?

nodogen

You need to think about decaf.

snyprrr

Quote from: α | ì Æ ñ on August 02, 2017, 02:42:23 AM
Actually I'm now tempted to put on that Warner's recording of Ais   ::)

MUST.

RESIST.

MUST.

NOT.

PLAY.

:'( :'( :'( :'(

That's the only one that does it for me. 'Ais' is a ridiculously outrageous piece, but needs a performance such as this to take it home to mom. The "horsey" stuff is funny/terrifying, but this early version with Sakkas is much more visceral than the Timpani remake.

And very Stravinskian, too... hmm...

Quote from: α | ì Æ ñ on August 08, 2017, 02:39:14 PM
Double whammy!  :laugh:

Yeah, Xenakis stresses me out sometimes because I've been completely obsessed with his music for so long, when I'm doing anything my mind automatically defaults to thinking about Xenakis quotes/interviews or pieces themselves  :-[

After a while, I have to put those Beethoven string quartets on, right?  ???

I wonder if this happens to our other XenakiFan Snyprrr?  ::)

I know, it's hard to get to sleep...zzz...zzz...zzz...zzz...

I'm still trying to find the best road out of IgorLand... I'm listening to the clarinet piece, that's how far gone I am, lol. The flippin clarinet piece,... ohhhh, the desperation...lol

But I haven't bought anymore Igor (though you're trying to get me that Threni), and I think the buying season might be over already, I don't know. I don't know what tonic will work. I fear if I go to Xenakis I'll "cheat" on Igor... yea, it's that bad right now...

But, in a good way! :)

nighty night