Iannis Xenakis (1922-2001)

Started by gomro, May 10, 2007, 01:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Quote from: petrArch on February 09, 2010, 09:59:14 AM
I have the NEOS disc with the computer realizations. It is interesting; however the same pieces have a lot more "power" and "authority" when played by a human (as in e.g. the Arditti/Helffer disc).

That's the kind of thing I need to hear. The Tiensuu version of the first harpsichord piece supercedes Choinacka, and I can't imagine what a machine could do to better it.

Quote from: Greg on February 09, 2010, 11:54:16 AM
If someone wrote an e-mail to them requesting this, I would do the same just so they know there's more than 2 or 3 people actually into this stuff (halfway surprised this much is even recorded).

Anytime you write a record company, or your politician, or whimever, always say you're part of a group, say, the head of the Jersey Friends of Xenakis, or something; then they will think you've got others behind you! :D

I wrote Timpani back when they were slackin' between vols 2 and 3, haha, serious! I was like, hey yo, wazzup wit da Xeny Xen?? But yea, SOMEONE is going to have to finish the job (like with Ligeti Sony/Teldec).

HOW many groups out there have Xenakis in their name, and what do we hear from them? How about the Xenakis Ensemble on BVHAAST. What?- 2, 3 pieces on two cds?? Oh, and you call yourselves the Xenakis Ensemble??, oh, for shame, for shame. ok, I'm ranting again, I'm sorry ;D!

But I will probably write them again.

Quote from: James on February 09, 2010, 05:21:52 PM
You're probably not going to like this but ... those bastards at Mode are also releasing (Feb.23rd) another DVD, a documentary on him called Charisma X.

DVD ? Is that like Super8?

No, but that sounds cool. I'll check youtube.

greg

Quote from: snyprrr on February 09, 2010, 09:05:10 PM
Anytime you write a record company, or your politician, or whimever, always say you're part of a group, say, the head of the Jersey Friends of Xenakis, or something; then they will think you've got others behind you! :D

I wrote Timpani back when they were slackin' between vols 2 and 3, haha, serious! I was like, hey yo, wazzup wit da Xeny Xen?? But yea, SOMEONE is going to have to finish the job (like with Ligeti Sony/Teldec).

HOW many groups out there have Xenakis in their name, and what do we hear from them? How about the Xenakis Ensemble on BVHAAST. What?- 2, 3 pieces on two cds?? Oh, and you call yourselves the Xenakis Ensemble??, oh, for shame, for shame. ok, I'm ranting again, I'm sorry ;D!

But I will probably write them again.
Nice... well, if you do get to it, tell me.  ;)

petrarch

Got this one yesterday.

At last a good-sounding recording of Eonta, along with some works I didn't yet have (Morsima-Amorsima and Paille in the Wind). I can finally put to rest the old Chants du Monde recording of Metastaseis, Pithoprakta and Eonta.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

greg

snyprrr

Quote from: petrArch on April 25, 2010, 03:40:21 PM
Got this one yesterday.

At last a good-sounding recording of Eonta, along with some works I didn't yet have (Morsima-Amorsima and Paille in the Wind). I can finally put to rest the old Chants du Monde recording of Metastaseis, Pithoprakta and Eonta.

Ah, sacre bleu!!

I was JUST listening to the CdM today for the first time in a long while (hmmm,...psychic waves??). I've always been perplexed by Eonta, so, I made myself listen. I guess Xenakis just writes in sectional blocks,... that's the only way I can interpret this piece.

But I must say, I enjoyed the 1965 recording (the piece itself certainly is some kind of a 'Being', that's for sure). As I'm sure you know, we have recordings of Eonta from London Brass (Teldec), even another version on Mode (ST-X Ensemble), BVHAAST (Xenakis Ensemble 'live'?), and, I'm just going to  assume two others out there I can't think of. I mean, this is Xenakis' 'lollipop', no??, haha!! You'll just have to forgive me,...your comment 'finally' a good version of Eonta (well, I'm actually sure it is the best now!).

(I'm just tired of recordings of Eonta and Rebonds, at the expense of, say, Linea Agon, or, Psappha.)

Morisma-Amorisma (the PQ version of the ST series) I have on Accord. But, I can see now, that we have a pretty good alternative to the Arditti set, which has reigned for almost 20 years! I'm assuming that Mode will put all the solo string pieces on one album.

You know, I've said before how I'm exasperated with Mode's programming of their series. I mean, on this new cd, would it have been a hassle to include Pour Maurice, or even a much needed better version of Plekto? I mean, between two cds now, all based on the piano, and many pieces are missing. Wazzup??

(Oh, and I did send a note to Timpani the other day concerning the demise of their Xenakis Series. No response yet.)

And now we have 3 versions of Akea (do we have 4??). One of my favs. Needed.

So, Mode, I have to buy a whole other album for just one new premiere, and, four minutes at that?? Where's the love? You really should have taken my advice and done a 'Xenakis & the Trombone' album. Anyhow, I ramble,...

Anyhow, the sinking feeling that I'm going to get this album, plus get the first Aki/Mode/Xenakis Piano disc, AGAIN!!, YES, THAT SINKING FEELING IS HITTING ME, HAHA. (OOPS CAPS)

btw- I was looking over the Xenakis Library here, looking at what's missing, and I'm at the point where I have to get a whole other album just to get one new piece (Col Legno w/Anasteraria, Troorkh, & Ais). See, why couldn't Mode have been intelligent, and planned their Series the way a Xenakis nut would have? We would have been more pragmatic, and more creative at the same time!

Oy, I rant on, don't I?? ::)

Please people, just give us our final Xenakis pieces so we can go home already!! >:D You can even skip Strategie and Duel, but please, where are the Great Works for Chorus & Orchestra (Cendrees, Anamoessa, Nekuia)??

Madness!

greg

Quote from: snyprrr on April 25, 2010, 07:37:15 PM
Oy, I rant on, don't I?? ::)
Not at all...

btw, I predict you will be buying this CD before long. Sorry.  :D

some guy

I recently purchased the two disc set with Persepolis on one and nine remixes on the other. I remember when this first came out. It was a time when "remix" was for me a bad word. But I had just listened to my Fractal disc of Persepolis before going down to Anthem Records here in Portland, OR, and I saw that the Persepolis remix set on Asphodel was still sitting in the bin, and this time I picked it up and looked at the list of remixes. Otomo Yoshihide, Ryoji Ikeda, Zbigniew Karkowski, Francisco Lopez, Merzbow--wait a minute! Those are some of my favorite new music people!!--as well as Antimatter, Construction Kit, Laminar, and Ulf Langheinrich, whom I'd not heard of before.

Am I ever glad I got this. What a sweet set this is, to be sure. Highly recommended. (Thanks to all of you so far for all the mentions of various discs that I don't have. I have 34 so far, but half a dozen or more of the ones you all have mentioned are ones I don't have. Time to tighten the belt and spend money on music instead of food.)

bhodges

Quote from: petrArch on April 25, 2010, 03:40:21 PM
Got this one yesterday.

Thanks for posting, this looks great.  (But then, given the personnel involved, how could it not be?) 

--Bruce

snyprrr

Quote from: James on April 25, 2010, 09:20:14 PM
This programme of trombone works has got a good Troorkh ...

Dedicated to Christian Lindberg

I went ahead with the ColLegno w/Anateraria and Ais (as if I needed another version of this, my least fav Xenakis work (but hey! they say Sakkas 'sings' better on this one, 20 years earlier. I guess I'm so desperate, I neeed to hear this,...oh, woe is me!!!)). I believe Svoboda plays tbone here. Honestly, I just with Lindberg would have done an all Xenakis/tbone disc, which would have,hrhm, Zythos, for tbone & 6 percs. Why can't they see these simple things?

Keren
Troorkh
Zythos
N'Shima (2)*
Epei (2)*
Eonta (3)*
Linea-Agon

Why wasn't that simple, Christian?? Why?Why?Why?

..."just give me what I want, and I'll go away"...

snyprrr

Anybody know the recordings here? I have the earlier Mode version, which, could be a little better, I think.

That leaves the Rascher on BIS, the Rascher on Caprice, and the Habanera on the intriguingly titled cd, Mysterious Morning. Does anyone have two or more versions?

snyprrr

I'm sorry, I just haven't been the same since Four Last Downloads!

snyprrr

I found about seven different performances of Psappha on YouTube. Basically, I spend last night getting reaquainted. Without waxing poetic on it's genesis, and soforth, I will merely state that it is THE percussion piece of note ( :P), and that it's duration is listed as '13mins'.

The only performance I've ever had was Gert Mortenson's BIS version, from the '80s, one of the first, and apparently, still one of the best. Either I couldn't handle the discmates, or I thought I'd find better, but I should have kept it. I think he uses a special instrument at the end, when all there is is the big bass drum, and the oscillating metallic sounds: most seem to use single plates, but it appears Mortenson uses a bell tree of some kind. GM clocks in at 11:15, a a fairly quick clip.

Sylio Gualda's pioneering performance on Vol.2 of his famous LP survey of Modern percusiion works, has never made it to CD, but, I think there is a performance by him on the new Mode video, Charisma X. Still, I'd looove to hear his original version. I hear his choice of big, boomy tom toms is quite unique and different from the rest.  Anyone know this one?

Steven Schick's new Mode version has been described as 'delicate', and, that he makes it look really easy. Also, his choice of instruments has been described as fitting in a suitcase. He has a performance on YouTube in which you can see and hear that he uses quite a tight little setup, as opposed to some other's more expansive kits. Personally, I hear drums when he plays, and not Greek Theater. I simpl;y don't like his choice of instruments. His performance on YouTube, however, is of course just fine (though I find him stiff), and his Mode time is a solid 13:59. I think his '80s disc, 'Drumming in the Dark' does not contain this piece, but Xenakis' other percussion classic.

Michael Pugliese has had the most visible version for years, on his recital, 'Perkin at Merkin', but, this recording has been roundly and continually berated. All I know is that he clocks in at an astounding 16:02.

Pedro Cameiro's newish recital on ZigZag Territories (containing only 40mins of music, but doubles as a DVD) has been getting instant classic reviews since it came out. There is a 3min video on YouTube, in which you get a taste of the instruments used, and, some other reviewer commented on how 'resonant' PC sounds as compared to SS. There's really no way I can't be curious about this recording, though, of course, the programming does leave something to be desired. PC clocks in at a quicker than SS 12:40.

Apparently, there was an old Koch recording of an all Xenakis program ( :o), whaaat? (ANYONE??) that I have never ever heard of (??), and someone named Jooihara on CBS LP?? This is off the Xenakis site.

Markus Leoson, on Caprice, has 2 cds of recital, with one Xenakis piece on each cd. These recitals come from the late '80s or early '90s, so, they've been around a while, but, there is no further illumination available. Still, his strong profile in the catalogue begs a consideration, perhaps.

Peter Sadlo is another name that many may be familiar with, having shown up on a few famous Koch recitals from '80s/'90s. I have no recollection of his playing, but his profile is pretty strong, and I can't imagine him not having a strong performance. His performance of Psappha can be found on a Teldec cd, 'Drum Together', along with some more current perc ensemble pieces. This one I'm really curious about. No info.

Roland Auzet is another name many may be familiar with. He shows up in the catalogue, and his performance may be found on the percussion BoxSet, which I believe also is on Mode (but I'm probably wrong about that label). He also has a recording of O-Mega on this set. No info.

There are also versions by Hauke (NMC,...that Russian label), the Demoe Percussion Ensemble on Stradivarius, and the name I forget on a cd called 'Traces'. The Demoe has been around a while, but I've heard no reviews (and it includes Persephassa!!).

That does it for the physical recordings. Now I will attempt to remember the performances I saw on YouTube, which I hope you all will check out and comment on:

1) There is an middle aged Japanese man, who looks as though he's playing in the middle of a concert hall stage. Wow! Compare his fluid arm movement with Schick's more stiffly robotic moves! This guy truly makes it all look like a walk in the park, and you can hear the fluidity. Does anyone else like this one? He clocks in @10mins, very quick indeed, but perfect nonetheless.

2) Look for the young Chinese student, who looks like he's playing in a practice room. The video sound so distorts the sounds of the instruments, that something incredible happens. Everytime he hits certain instruments, the illusion of hitting synth pads is overwhelming, and,...tell me,...tell me, that if you use your imagination, that this is really the way the piece is supposed to sound. It really sounds like a 'being, or a 'character, and not like drums (because the distortions make them not sound like drums anymore). Please, please, listen to this one, and use your imagination, and tell me if you don't think that this piece truly needs to be played on synth pads with highly composed sounds. He clocks in longer than most (he's just a student).

3) Next, we have Andrew Dunsmore (?; I think the last name is off, but, look for the guy with the shiny grey shirt!). He plays very slowly, which, though it brings out ionteresting detail, also makes the middle section pauses almost interminable. He uses wood poles instead of the customary metal pieces in the beginning. The sounds of his instruments truly circumvent the audio problems so many of these percussionists have, playing this Epic piece is such non-reverb friendly arenas (Schick's YouTube video is really dry). This is a good listening version though. Some are not recorded well. Here, you can at least hear what's going on.

4) Andreas Kalitzky (I think) is the guy who looks like he's playing the Heavy Metal drum set (very black). His is one of the slowest of all (the pauses are hilariously interminable), and he has a very tom heavy, rock sound. I'm afraid that by this time I'm getting a bit critical, so, sorry Andreas, you go to the bottom of the pile.

5) So too is another guy (#1) you will catch playing fairly slowly, and in bad light. His recording is particularly bad, and it is very hard to follow.

6) Another guy (#2), also in auditorium recital, has a petter performance, but the camera is at a distance. You can tell this performance by the dancer at the end.

7) Another guy (#3) may have one of the best performances of all. He's the one who is billed as being the percussionist of some Modern Ensemble. He is playing on an instrument strewn stage in what looks like a school auditorium. He has one of the quickest (maybe the quickest so far) timings (@10mins), and his prowess is pretty beyond question. Check this guy out! His choice of instruments, too, adds.

8) I'm leaving this last slot for what I think is one last, dark and murkily filmed, performance, that I can't remember (it may not be). Either that, or there is one other good performance. This is Performer X.

One thing that distinguishes some from others is the use of the giant, timpani-looking drum, favored by some (Schick doesn't use this). Also, I think Mortenson's the only one who appears to use a bell tree at the end, instead of individual pieces. Also, at the end, some add the giant drum to the bass drum (which Schick also doesn't do).

Being a self-fancied percussionist, I take exception with Xenakis' disdain of the myriad sounds that percussionists wanted to bring to his music. Honestly, I think a whole new setup needs to be built to fully open up this piece to it's potential. I perfectly believe that electronic pads could/should be used to turn this 'drum' piece into the actual symphony that it is. No one,...no one (Gualda?) seems to have taken liberty with this piece. I would love to learn it just to play it 'My Way'. I even think you'd agree with the results.

So, does anyone want to talk about Psappha? ;D

greg

some guy

The Auzet set I have has a DVD of Psappha that takes 13:15 minutes. That's coupled with Rebonds A & B. Omega and Kassandra are both on one of the CDs, which also has Rebonds and a slightly quicker performance of Psappha (12:33).

And you're right; it is on Mode.

Pretty sweet set overall. I should give it another listen soon. (I remember one of the pieces being really lame. Looking over the list, I'm tempted to say it's the Alsina Themen, but please don't anyone quote me on that!)

petrarch

Quote from: some guy on April 29, 2010, 03:56:29 PM
The Auzet set I have has a DVD of Psappha that takes 13:15 minutes. That's coupled with Rebonds A & B. Omega and Kassandra are both on one of the CDs, which also has Rebonds and a slightly quicker performance of Psappha (12:33).

And you're right; it is on Mode.

Pretty sweet set overall. I should give it another listen soon. (I remember one of the pieces being really lame. Looking over the list, I'm tempted to say it's the Alsina Themen, but please don't anyone quote me on that!)

Interesting, I was unaware of the existence of O-mega on disc. Always felt curious about it (that mystique about being the last work he composed, and named accordingly).
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

snyprrr

Quote from: petrArch on April 29, 2010, 04:32:50 PM
Interesting, I was unaware of the existence of O-mega on disc. Always felt curious about it (that mystique about being the last work he composed, and named accordingly).

It's also on the second BVHAAST cd by the Xenakis Ensemble. It's only four mins., and I do believe it doesn't promise much (4mins of Waarg, plus percussion).

snyprrr

I just got the ColLegno release containing Anatenaria, Ais, & Troorkh.

First off, this is the Ais to get. It was recorded 20 years before the other version on Timpani, and Sakkas' voice is another instrument! Just compare the 'scream' within the first min. If you hadn't had heard the earlier version, the second one may not raise a mention, but, after hearing the original,...wow! Ais was always at the bottom of my Xenakis list (I've now had all three versions (the third, with the 'other' Xenakis vocalist, Philip Larson (it's an also ran))), but, this version makes a believer out of me. Usually, I don't go for this kind of thing, but, when Sakkas is instructed to make 'horse screams', in this version the effect is close to terrifying! Also, now I can concentrate on the music, which is of course from the GoldenAge! Some interesting effects, as usual.

Anatenaria, honestly, didn't move me. The first part sounds like Stravinsky-meets-Orff (as everyone says), the second part has some pre-Metastasis type stuff, and, here, Metastasis is, eh, mmm. I do appreciate what Bornstein has done for Xenakis fans, but I just don't find him delivering in any of his recordings. Wazzup??? Still, this music left me limp (and, the recording isn't as good as the rest of the album).

Troorkh was the draw for me. Not being a fan of Dox-Orkh, I wondered how similar the two would be, and I was pleasantly surprised. It doesn't seem as blocky as the violin concerto. Anyhow, the star is, of course, the hypnotizing sound of the trombone. Here, Mike Svoboda sounds like he is channeling spirits, his concentration and tone are so hush-worthy. Without really commenting on the piece per se, I just want to say that a 20min t-bone concerto like this will send me to another planet!

I was able to compare Svoboda with the new Lindberg on BIS (which are both conducted by Peter Rundel). Honestly, the music sounds pretty much exact (the BIS may be a little fresher recording), and, for the most part, the t-bone parts are ID. BUTTTTTTT,....apparently, Mr. Lindberg is barely human!!, because this man is UN-BE-LEEEEv-able!! Every now and then, his tone will just overtake you! I want to stress that, if this is as good as Svoboda can play, well, then he's STILL the man! If this concerto is a difficult as one might think, then one totally gives it to Mr. Svoboda. It's just thatr Lindberg is from another planet! Lindberg's version is 2mins quicker, but, I can't hear it in the music. It must be the solo spaces, where Lindberg hits a few runs at double time, to Svoboda's regular time. Either way, this Troorkh is one funky piece of alien music! I dig it!

So, I went to Keren, the solo t-bone piece. There are 5 versions of this now, I think! I have Sluchin on Erato (he also recorded a version for Adda). Here also, Lindberg just makes you weep, when you compare him to other, 'great', trombonists. It just makes me shake my head! ??? And,... not that Sluchin's not good,...he is! BUT BUT BUT!!!

Dear BIS,
        Do you think you could cull all your Xenakis reecordings for a "Portrait of Xenakis" cd? Psappha, Keren, Troorkh, Dox-Orkh,... and,...your NEW recording of Zythos. How bout it, Svenska?

greg

Quote(I've now had all three versions (the third, with the 'other' Xenakis vocalist, Philip Larson (it's an also ran)))
Triple parenthesis ftw.

snyprrr

tab

Quote from: snyprrr on April 29, 2010, 10:05:17 AM
So, does anyone want to talk about Psappha? ;D

I do want to talk.  :) Live listening to this piece was the greatest musical experience in my life back in September, 2008. I'm very sensitive to music in general, but with Psappha my emotions always go all-in. Been sitting in front of those big metal plates near the end I thought I could die from all that awe running through me. I could barely move for several minutes after it.

Of course, that was the greatest physical experience, but the very structure of Psappha made it possible. It's even more evident in Rebonds.