Iannis Xenakis (1922-2001)

Started by gomro, May 10, 2007, 01:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HenselFlaeder

Quote from: James on October 23, 2013, 07:34:38 AM
I've been told from someone over at MODE that Steven Schick's The early percussion music of Stockhausen DVD incl. Mikrophonie I, Zyklus etc. is being released late-last quarter as well.

Oh that is exciting! Did you speak with Alice or Brian?

Karl Henning

Cool! We can chat Stockhausen up on the Xenakis thread, too!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

CRCulver

Quote from: sanantonio on October 23, 2013, 08:11:11 AM
;D

Stockhausen casts such a large shadow, no composer or apparently no thread either, can escape it.

I guess that's a kind way of saying that one particular Stockhausen fan among us is a bit of a prat.

Mirror Image

Yeah, let's use Xenakis' thread as a springboard for you to discuss Stockhausen. ::) How bogus of you, James.

Karl Henning

So, no actual Xenakis news today?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

SO now that we are on record as being opposed to James' rather innocuous comment (I know, it isn't sui generis, but damn!) can we move it along. Who is this Xenakis guy anyway?  ???

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 24, 2013, 04:17:08 AM
SO now that we are on record as being opposed to James' rather innocuous comment (I know, it isn't sui generis, but damn!) can we move it along. Who is this Xenakis guy anyway?  ???
8)

A devoted disciple of Karlheinz Stockhausen, no doubt!  :D

Karl Henning

Any composer who is with it, would be!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Well, I could go for two of those three . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

And thank you, those Xenakis pieces look interesting. (Of course, the Messiaen works on that disc are classics.  And on a personal note, my first sight of O sacrum convivium was as sight-reading in an audition at Trinity Church in Copley Square.  Of course, if that choir director had been a real professional, he would have used Stockhausen for sight-reading; we all know that.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

HenselFlaeder

Quote from: James on October 24, 2013, 02:59:03 AM
My comment about Stockhausen (a contemporary of Xenakis) having a new release on the same label, around the same time to a 'new' member who likes both isn't out of place or inappropriate at all. Some folks around here are acting like big babies.

They love raggin' on you, don't they? ::)

Quote from: sanantonio on October 24, 2013, 04:43:47 AM
Both Stockhausen and Xenakis were pupils of Messiaen and this recording collects some choral music by all three - recommended.

Is the Xenakis piece A Helene on there? That is the most normal sounding Xenakis piece, sounding like some Greek ancient choir music, very striking for those who aren't prepared to here conventional beauty out of Xenakis. snyprrr, are you familiar with this piece?

North Star

Quote from: HenselFlaeder on October 24, 2013, 05:38:02 AMIs the Xenakis piece A Helene on there? That is the most normal sounding Xenakis piece, sounding like some Greek ancient choir music, very striking for those who aren't prepared to here conventional beauty out of Xenakis. snyprrr, are you familiar with this piece?
A Helene is there.
[asin]B00000I9AB[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Three Xenakis works on that disc, all new to me.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

not edward

I've somehow never got around to acquiring that Chandos disc, though, speaking of choral Xenakis, I do have James Wood's fine disc on Hyperion.

[asin]B0000063BN[/asin]

There's a partial overlap with the Chandos disc (Serment and Nuits, though the latter work most definitely deserves multiple readings).
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Karl Henning

Quote from: James on October 24, 2013, 05:12:13 AM
Since we're talkin' pupils, for consideration of further exploration .. some of these pupils went on to write some absolutely vast, incredibly inventive jawdropping choral edifices. See KS's Invisible Choirs, Welt-parlament or Angel Processions for instance. Clear examples of a pupil far surpassing not only all the other pupils but also the teacher!

Yes! He surpasses everybody! He is so utterly incredible in every way! Wow!

Gotta say it again: Wow!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

snyprrr

Quote from: karlhenning on October 24, 2013, 07:13:36 AM
Yes! He surpasses everybody! He is so utterly incredible in every way! Wow!

Gotta say it again: Wow!

cue 'O Fortuna'! and 'Thus Spake Z.' simulataneously!

CRCulver

Anemoessa is so similar to Ligeti's Requiem that I'm curious what the composers thought of each other. Did they make any remarks in interviews about each other's music?

snyprrr

Quote from: James on October 26, 2013, 02:53:28 PM
Not that it really matters but I doubt that a composer such as Ligeti who had an extraordinary & deep harmonic sense would have liked to listen to Xenakis's 'blobs or swarms of sound' approach much  ... as it lacks forensic detail and doesn't have an active organic musical inner-life beneath the surface; its pretty divorced from that.

Listen to Eridanos (1972) on the Timpani set and tell me what you think. I'd call it his most Ligetian piece, and it is somewhat unique in his oeuvre.

Only 3 days till the BigCDRelease!!
Gotta get the Thread in proper rotation.
Honestly, I just don't know what to make of this release, which has duplicates from the labels' very own ongoing Xenakis Cycle. Brian?
What happened to the new guy?? Hey new guy!!!

snyprrr

Do check my Post in the other Thread: I had a chat with Brian over at Mode, and he cleared up some up-coming releases! yay! Anyone get 'Ensemble Music 3' yet?

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on October 26, 2013, 02:53:28 PM
Not that it really matters but I doubt that a composer such as Ligeti who had an extraordinary & deep harmonic sense would have liked to listen to Xenakis's 'blobs or swarms of sound' approach much  ... as it lacks forensic detail and doesn't have an active organic musical inner-life beneath the surface; its pretty divorced from that.

I wouldn't be so sure. Morton Feldman deeply admired Xenakis' music and his music is the polar opposite of Xenakis, so there's a lot that could be said of this of course. Having said this, please refrain from your 'Yeah, but Feldman is boring' rebuttal post. I think we're all a little tired of these posts from you.