Iannis Xenakis (1922-2001)

Started by gomro, May 10, 2007, 01:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on November 09, 2013, 08:14:05 AM
I was talking about Ligeti.

But, my point was that Feldman, whose music, like Ligeti's, is so finely tuned and detailed, admired a composer like Xenakis who is, by even the musical temperament alone, completely opposite of Feldman. So, in closing, I would say that Ligeti would have probably liked Xenakis' music and them being polar opposites has nothing to do with admiration.

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on November 09, 2013, 08:30:47 AM
With regards to what I was referring to - not at all "alike". Not even in the same stratosphere.

I didn't mean Feldman and Ligeti are exactly alike musically, I'm talking purely about detail of each composers' music, and believe me there is much detail in both composers music whether you agree or not, but, as usual, you missed the general point which I was trying to make, which was composers that are completely different from each other has NOTHING to do with their mutual admiration of the other's music.

Mirror Image

Does anyone, besides James ::), understand the point I was trying to make?

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on November 09, 2013, 08:45:34 AM
I doubt that there would be much in Feldman or Xenakis that would be of interest to Ligeti's forensic ear & sensibility for harmony; as their music didn't really operate to such a high degree internally/organically on that level.

I disagree and we'll leave it at that. I think to compare these three composers anyway is apples and oranges, but, again, you missed my point. You do know how to read correct? I mean we all know you can 'copy and paste' just fine, but it's the actual reading part that I'm most curious about. In my opinion, this is just another example of 'everything that James says is superior and all-knowing' while anything that may challenge your opinion is not even considered and/or is just flat out wrong.

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on November 09, 2013, 08:59:06 AM
I think you totally misunderstood my original specific point and smothered it with your 'own crap' - my point had NOTHING do with being polar opposites etc.

No, I offered another perspective of your comment which was people who appear different from each other do have the possibility of admiring the other. The only thing smothered here is your ongoing snobbery and bigotry for anything that isn't deemed acceptable to the world of James. Moving along...

Anyway, let's get back to Xenakis shall we?

What do we make of this set everyone?

[asin]B004MBP7KQ[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on November 09, 2013, 09:19:26 AM
But that wasn't the point I was trying to make. Ligeti often admired composers whom had their own voice (opposite to his own) but they also had what I'm referring-to deeply in place (more often than not) .. i.e. JS Bach, Brahms, Bartók, Webern, Stockhausen, Boulez, Nancarrow etc.

What evidence do you have that Ligeti didn't admire Xenakis' compositional voice? I'm sure as much evidence as I have that Ligeti did admire Xenakis' music. :) But, you're closed off to that possibility of Ligeti not liking Xenakis' music and I'm open to the possibility that he did. Anyway, now we're just beating a dead horse. Move along, James....

Let's get back Xenakis now please!!!

Mirror Image

For all that fancy copying and pasting, it would be nice to actually have a link to the recording. ::)

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on November 09, 2013, 04:08:35 PM
You are lazy. Try Google, I hope you don't need someone to tell you what to search for as well.

No, I'm not lazy, James. Far from it actually. You provided a lot of information about this disc but in amidst that 'copying and pasting frenzy' that I'm sure you find yourself in a lot, you didn't bother to help anyone else out that were inquiring about the recording. So as far as I see it, you're actually the 'lazy' one.

Mirror Image

But to prove that I'm indeed not the 'lazy' one, here's a link for those that were interested since James has a comprehension problem:

http://www.amazon.com/Ensemble-Music-Sluchin-Trombone-International/dp/B00ELG00KE/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1384046064&sr=1-3&keywords=Xenakis+Mode

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on November 09, 2013, 04:14:14 PM
VERY lazy, and bitchy too.

Link provided by yours truly. You're welcome? :-\

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on November 09, 2013, 04:29:57 PM
I think what I posted provided A LOT more information and detail about the release though. Your amazon link doesn't provide a thing other than a "pre-order option" .. normally 'intelligent consumers' like to have a little more detail and information before rushing to buy something ..

James, a few things: 1. all you did was copy-and-paste information, which anyone could have done, 2. amidst doing your normal copy-and-paste botch job, you didn't even include a link to buy the recording, 3. nobody has to buy anything that they don't want, but if someone did want to buy that recording, which I, surprise, copied-and-pasted, but now they have a link to buy the recording (if they want), and 4. this isn't a pre-order as it is already available for purchase.

Mirror Image

Let me add that copying and pasting, doesn't mean you're the author of the information and it doesn't make you some kind of 'superstar' because you linked that information onto GMG. Like I said, ANYONE can copy-and-paste. You need to get your head out of the clouds and come down to planet Earth.

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on November 09, 2013, 04:49:19 PM
That is why it is called "copying & pasting" .. man, you are a total moron.

No, but you make it sound like you're some kind of wunderkind because you can copy-and-paste information onto a forum. Not only do you not get when you're being made a fool of, but I have to actually spell it out to you. Get yourself a clue!

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on November 09, 2013, 04:53:27 PM
Man, your head is buried so deep up your own ass if you think that ...

The fact that you still don't get what I'm saying really explains so much to me about your level of intelligence. Have you learned your ABCs yet? I know you mastered the internet copy-and-paste function, but can you actually comprehend what you're copying and pasting?

Mirror Image

Also, I'm very surprised you haven't copied and pasted another one those moronic BBC Radio articles about Stockhausen on the Xenakis thread. I admire your restraint. :laugh:

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on November 09, 2013, 04:59:30 PM
So I seek out, copy and paste information pertinent to topics. No crime in that, its better than clogging up threads by arguing over essentially NOTHING with immature idiots like you.

No, there's no crime in copying and pasting, but when you think you're so clever and smart for doing it, is what I have a problem with. But, you win, James. You're so much superior than anyone else and you're the supreme deity of all things classical music. I bow down, master...

ibanezmonster

Has Zythos been recorded before? That may be one of the few works left unrecorded... I'm sure snyprrr has a list of unrecorded Xenakis. I used to keep track long ago but don't have a list any more.

petrarch

Quote from: James on October 26, 2013, 02:53:28 PM
Not that it really matters but I doubt that a composer such as Ligeti who had an extraordinary & deep harmonic sense would have liked to listen to Xenakis's 'blobs or swarms of sound' approach much  ... as it lacks forensic detail and doesn't have an active organic musical inner-life beneath the surface; its pretty divorced from that.

You are projecting taste onto values. FIY Ligeti greatly admired Pithoprakta, and because of it he decided to use Metastaseis in the analysis course at Darmstadt in 1962. It is also worth noting how Ligeti's writing changes drastically to a more textural, process-oriented and global structure in 1958-59, immediately after Xenakis' premieres of those two works.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Mirror Image

Quote from: Greg on November 09, 2013, 07:05:45 PM
Has Zythos been recorded before? That may be one of the few works left unrecorded... I'm sure snyprrr has a list of unrecorded Xenakis. I used to keep track long ago but don't have a list any more.

I, too, would really like to see snyprrr's Xenakis list.

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on November 10, 2013, 05:08:56 AM
He dealt with things on a micro level, very complex interwoven polyphonic textures & figures, and he moved on too.

Which still doesn't change the fact that he, as Petrarch pointed out, admired his music. So I was right and you were wrong as usual.