Iannis Xenakis (1922-2001)

Started by gomro, May 10, 2007, 01:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on November 11, 2013, 04:35:00 PM
Sure! But I beat you to it .. $:)

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,839.msg713061.html#msg713061

Well sure you did, but, you see, I wasn't lazy this time and I included the whole article and all you did was copy-and-paste the link to the article. Aren't I a crafty one! ;) :D Just kidding with you of course...

Mirror Image

petrarch

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 11, 2013, 12:54:29 PM
I'm definitely going to check it out, snyprrr. What do you think of the other Mode ensemble recordings?

This one has the best Eonta ever (I believe I have posted about this on this same thread some 3 years ago):

[asin]B00354NAOG[/asin]

And this one for some miscellaneous gems is also very worthwhile:

[asin]B000AA4J98[/asin]

Outside of music for ensemble, this one has two absolutely essential orchestral works (Terretektorh, Nomos Gamma) amid a very solid offering of other titles:

[asin]B0007P35SW[/asin]
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

petrarch

Quote from: James on November 11, 2013, 04:44:30 PM

[asin]B0000DETDM[/asin]
Classic set. If you were to own just 1 X recording for your collection, this would be it.

Wholeheartedly agree. The amount of timeless performances in that release is astounding. I still remember going through it avidly as I read Formalized Music.

And I am very glad to have it with the original cover, two editions before the monochrome covers :) (hopefully the monochrome kept the same thick booklet):

//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

Mirror Image

Quote from: petrarch on November 11, 2013, 04:58:46 PM
This one has the best Eonta ever (I believe I have posted about this on this same thread some 3 years ago):

[asin]B00354NAOG[/asin]

And this one for some miscellaneous gems is also very worthwhile:

[asin]B000AA4J98[/asin]

Outside of music for ensemble, this one has two absolutely essential orchestral works (Terretektorh, Nomos Gamma) amid a very solid offering of other titles:

[asin]B0007P35SW[/asin]

Thanks for the recommendations, Petrarch. I'll definitely keep these under my cap. As I mentioned, I'm definitely going to be acquiring all of the Mode recordings at some juncture. I already bought three more of them tonight (Ensemble Vol. 1-3.

Mirror Image

From the purchases thread:

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 11, 2013, 03:01:39 PM
More Xenakis one the way:

My goodness I don't know what's gotten into me, but I can't get enough of this atonal crap! :P

petrarch

Quote from: James on November 11, 2013, 05:08:14 PM
Here is a recent filmed performance of this one .. I don't particularly like this piece myself, but here it is for curious folks ..

http://www.youtube.com/v/37ajOyhcl_c

The video doesn't quite make it justice. Its massive character is totally lost, and most importantly the fact that it was composed and precisely calculated to make the audience feel they are inside a particle accelerator with the sound moving more and more rapidly around and through them--that is why the musicians are to be seated among the audience.
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

Mirror Image

Quote from: petrarch on November 11, 2013, 05:25:31 PM
The video doesn't quite make it justice. Its massive character is totally lost, and most importantly the fact that it was composed and precisely calculated to make the audience feel they are inside a particle accelerator with the sound moving more and more rapidly around and through them--that is why the musicians are to be seated among the audience.

So definitely a work that must be seen to give it full justice. Not really a piece that works well for a recorded live performance. It did have some cool sonorities, but being in that audience is where we should to be.

petrarch

Quote from: James on November 11, 2013, 05:48:08 PM
Ya .. but you get an idea of the musical result which isn't too interesting IMO, its 1 dimensional, clunky etc. I enjoy some of Xenakis  .. smaller scale things because it works better on a visceral/novel more clear & intimate level despite its IMHO lack of inner refinement or musicality.

James, you jester :D... Can't help but always be upliftingly gracious.
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on November 11, 2013, 06:07:49 PM
I know, I know .. but I'm only being honest. I have most of his stuff on disc, I've listened to it. I've witnessed a few live performances too. Sure, he had his mathematical & scientific logic and all .. and that is apart of the allure .. but pushing that all aside; the musical results & output we are left with are often lacking, at least to these ears.

Then why am I still hearing Hiketides or Synaphaï in my head right now after listening to them days ago? And those are just two examples of course, but I'm not going to lie and say everything is memorable or sticks out in my head, but this isn't really criteria for good music is it? I mean Xenakis' music is very much a 'in the moment' experience and you're either affected by this experience for the better or you're not. Judging from the post above, I would say that you're not attuned to his music, so, therefore this makes me wonder why you continue to post on this thread? I mean I'm sure someone could make the same case for your numero uno Stockhausen couldn't they? I don't care for Stockhausen, so I really have no business on that thread. If you can't add to conversation, James, and at least give some positive insight into the music and your opinion of it, then perhaps you should go back to the Stockhausen thread and continue to be enthusiastic about a composer you connect with.

Say what you will about Xenakis and, I'm sure there's more to come, his music has resonated with people and while post-WWII music is still finding it's audience, we should at least try and stay positive about this music instead of reflecting others away from it.

Just a thought.

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 11, 2013, 06:27:14 PM
Then why am I still hearing Hiketides or Synaphaï in my head right now after listening to them days ago? And those are just two examples of course, but I'm not going to lie and say everything is memorable or sticks out in my head, but this isn't really criteria for good music is it? I mean Xenakis' music is very much a 'in the moment' experience and you're either affected by this experience for the better or you're not. Judging from the post above, I would say that you're not attuned to his music, so, therefore this makes me wonder why you continue to post on this thread? I mean I'm sure someone could make the same case for your numero uno Stockhausen couldn't they? I don't care for Stockhausen, so I really have no business on that thread. If you can't add to conversation, James, and at least give some positive insight into the music and your opinion of it, then perhaps you should go back to the Stockhausen thread and continue to be enthusiastic about a composer you connect with.

Say what you will about Xenakis and, I'm sure there's more to come, his music has resonated with people and while post-WWII music is still finding it's audience, we should at least try and stay positive about this music instead reflecting others away from it.

Just a thought.

Actually James's description of his reaction to Xenakis is rather similar to my reaction to KHS.  Perhaps one of us should tell him to listen to every single note that Xenakis composed before deciding Xenakis had nothing of interest for him?

To be perfectly honest, my one, rather limited exposure, to Xenakis didn't encourage me to look for more.  Your exchange earlier today with Glasgow John sums up my reaction--although instead of brutal I'd use the word ugly or noisy.  And due to a set of circumstances not really relevant to the thread (involving a ex co worker who was trying to pay as little as possible for the department Christmas present exchange, and probably paid nothing) I'm not even sure which Xenakis work(s) I was listening to! (I assumed they were the works most readily available to download off the Internet.)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 11, 2013, 06:41:26 PM
Actually James's description of his reaction to Xenakis is rather similar to my reaction to KHS.  Perhaps one of us should tell him to listen to every single note that Xenakis composed before deciding Xenakis had nothing of interest for him?

To be perfectly honest, my one, rather limited exposure, to Xenakis didn't encourage me to look for more.  Your exchange earlier today with Glasgow John sums up my reaction--although instead of brutal I'd use the word ugly or noisy.  And due to a set of circumstances not really relevant to the thread (involving a ex co worker who was trying to pay as little as possible for the department Christmas present exchange, and probably paid nothing) I'm not even sure which Xenakis work(s) I was listening to! (I assumed they were the works most readily available to download off the Internet.)

Well, it appears that there are some works James enjoys by Xenakis, but it seems to me there's this underlying superiority type of attitude he has about the music where he thinks what he listens to is certified gold which makes me think he's somehow undermining what petrarch and I are saying. I don't know maybe I'm just thinking too much here.

As for you not liking Xenakis, I wouldn't expect you to, Jeffrey. But, what you consider 'noisy' or 'ugly,' I feel the opposite. I think his music reveals the harshness of this world and exposes it's venomous underbelly through these turbulent musical soundscapes. I resonate with it and, as I said, not everything I've heard has been gold, there have been a few works, however, that hit me right in the gut.

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 11, 2013, 06:51:51 PM
Well, it appears that there are some works James enjoys by Xenakis, but it seems to me there's this underlying superiority type of attitude he has about the music where he thinks what he listens to is certified gold which makes me think he's somehow undermining what petrarch and I are saying. I don't know maybe I'm just thinking too much here.

As for you not liking Xenakis, I wouldn't expect you to, Jeffrey. But, what you consider 'noisy' or 'ugly,' I feel the opposite. I think his music reveals the harshness of this world and exposes it's venomous underbelly through these turbulent musical soundscapes. I resonate with it and, as I said, not everything I've heard has been gold, there have been a few works, however, that hit me right in the gut.

Actually, given how dismissive of Xenakis James seems to be,  I think a second look on my part is definitely called for.  Are there any specific works you would suggest trying first?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 11, 2013, 07:08:34 PM
Actually, given how dismissive of Xenakis James seems to be,  I think a second look on my part is definitely called for.  Are there any specific works you would suggest trying first?

I really don't think I'm honestly the right person to be asking, Jeffrey. I'm still in discovery phase right now.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 11, 2013, 07:08:34 PM
I would recommend starting with this:

http://www.youtube.com/v/xFOUBHJp3Ms

Although it's pretty brutal, it's kind of gorgeous at the same time and actually somewhat tonal through much of it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Greg on November 11, 2013, 07:25:45 PM

Although it's pretty brutal, it's kind of gorgeous at the same time and actually somewhat tonal through much of it.

That's a very cool work, Greg. It comes in that Alpha & Omega box set I recently bought. This is the Abbado performance I believe. Smoking stuff for sure.

kishnevi

Quote from: James on November 11, 2013, 07:13:47 PM
Not true .. and I have more experience than MI, who is just coming to this composer ..

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,839.msg757730.html#msg757730

Then you did not write this?
Sure, he had his mathematical & scientific logic and all .. and that is apart of the allure .. but pushing that all aside; the musical results & output we are left with are often lacking, at least to these ears.
That sounds rather dismissive to me.
And I'll still ask John (MI)'s opinion, since I can calibrate from his reaction what mine would be.

But it looks like I need to start spending some time on Youtube. 
Quote from: Greg on November 11, 2013, 07:25:45 PM

Thank you.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 11, 2013, 02:05:28 PM
For me, Hiketides is one of Xenakis' most 'beautiful' works for orchestra:

http://www.youtube.com/v/RoUyzXr-aT4

http://www.youtube.com/v/GFZQ_VzKoFg&list=RDRoUyzXr-aT4

Hey Jeffrey, listen to this work. This is actually quite a beautiful work if I may apply such a title to Xenakis. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on November 12, 2013, 02:25:12 AM
Definitely not my thing, but here is Pithoprakta for curious folks ..
(out of curiousity based on discussions here, I re-visited the Arturo recording this morning)

I still say the best of the chamber music (i.e. Arditti set), is the composer in the best possible light ..

http://www.youtube.com/v/sWdQBblec0M

I'm starting to wonder why you continue to post here if you don't enjoy his music completely? I mean that's like me going to Stockhausen thread and saying "Here's a work you guys should enjoy, but it's definitely not my thing." If you don't like the music, then why post about it? I just don't understand your thinking here, James.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 12, 2013, 06:22:33 AM
I'm starting to wonder why you continue to post here if you don't enjoy his music completely? I mean that's like me going to Stockhausen thread and saying "Here's a work you guys should enjoy, but it's definitely not my thing." If you don't like the music, then why post about it? I just don't understand your thinking here, James.

Well, he IS entitled to an opinion, and I've been reading his posts since the other night. They are not all negative, there are some things he appears to like and some things otherwise. I can't imagine a situation where someone is 100% behind everything a composer did, that's a pretty high standard to maintain. However, when people write provocative posts that encourage someone to lash out at them, it is called passive/aggressive behavior. I think it is very unwise to be passive/aggressive....

GB
8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)