Iannis Xenakis (1922-2001)

Started by gomro, May 10, 2007, 01:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Quote from: sanantonio on February 14, 2014, 05:28:05 AM
Yes, all of the Timpani orchestral recordings are also on NML. 

What do you think of this two-fer?  I know these works are all (?) found elsewhere, but it might be interesting to hear other interpretations of these works.

The download is under $10.

Also, snyprrr are you the reviewer on Amazon writing under the name "21st Century Reviews"?

I haven't heard that set, but it looks interesting. Maybe someone else could shed some light on it?

not edward

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 14, 2014, 06:26:30 AM
I haven't heard that set, but it looks interesting. Maybe someone else could shed some light on it?
I wouldn't regard it as essential: many of the works on it have received superior readings since the originals were published.

It's a good way to fill some gaps in a Xenakis collection, though.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

snyprrr

Quote from: sanantonio on February 14, 2014, 05:28:05 AM
Yes, all of the Timpani orchestral recordings are also on NML. 

What do you think of this two-fer?  I know these works are all (?) found elsewhere, but it might be interesting to hear other interpretations of these works.

The download is under $10.

Also, snyprrr are you the reviewer on Amazon writing under the name "21st Century Reviews"?

The EMI set perfectly compliments the 'A&O' Box.

As to your last question, I have absolutely positively no idea what you're talking about! I mean, just look at the grammar and syntax, they're totally different. That guy just drones on and on.  I mean, to accuse me like that... the nerve... uh, I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!

Now, where's my winnings?!

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 14, 2014, 06:26:30 AM

The set has THREE essential recordings that aren't available anywhere else, I believe, and that is 'ST-10', the original chamber version of the SQ 'ST-4'm and 'Atrees', which also falls into the 'ST' ('Stochastic Composition')family of works. Atrees, imo, is X's smoothest and slinkiest and elegant stochastic work- it comes off somewhat mellower than the usual- the events aren't so fast- it's also a good 15mins. The third is the choral/ensemble work 'Polla ta Dihna' which I like a lot, a bit like 'Hiketides' meets 'Medea' (though, no 'beautiful' section MI).

The remaining pieces are, yes, very early, and, compared to modern interpreters it appears as if some (the cello work) are really busting their spleen on them but, for instance, Pludermacher's 'Herma' is the earthiest recording ever- you can just feel the newness, the rawness,... he really goes for it! Pierre Penassou seems to have a bit of a time with 'Nomos Alpha', but it's always fun to hear people get through this work. Just compare to the Palm, very interesting. Palm reeeally lays into it!

'Akrata' is a Premiere, but just compare to the Tamayo Box to hear how far we've come. Still, ALL these recordings have the AIR molecules of excitement and raw newness that make them so compelling. One especially relishes mere mortals struggling with these granitic objects of sound- truly architectural.

snyprrr

Sea-Change (1997?)

If you go to the Wiki entry, go to the link at the bottom, a Greek site, where you can actually hear samples from most of his works, including his last Orchestral Work, Sea-Change. Tell me his style wasn't changing here. I mean, it's quite an odd thing, but definitely sounds like Xenakis- the basses intone that familiar melodic string writing. Yet, the orchestra is left with a single octave-like chord (that LvB octave thing) that tolls like a bell- or a portent.

So, there's another Greek site, studio52.gr, where, apparently (we'll find out) one can get this piece on a compilation disc (I'll let you know if it shows- just check the site), so, maybe, on 'Koiranoi' is the only of the Last Works unavailable (this too has a sample, and reveals a work worthy of comparison to 'Dammerschein'!).

Again, it would be nice if we just had at least one recording of every piece, but we still have a few:

XENAKIS 1:

'Strategie' is available from Ozawa, but the other 'Game Theory' piece, 'Duel' has never been available. Perhaps these are the pieces X specifically didn't like (as maybe gleaned from a Halbrecht(?) interview), and Strategie (on YT) is quite one of X's noisiest pieces (2 Orchestras in a Death Match). Perhaps Duel is even more so, and maybe X would think it better we didn't hear it?

XENAKIS 2:

From the culmination of the entire first part of his career (I'd say 1972 is the cut-off) we have the brass trio 'Linea Agon', which I've been told will be one of Mode's three releases this year (in 3 versions!). So, hopefully we can lop this off the list.

XENAKIS 3:

First, we have the Choral/Orchestral Masterpieces 'Cendrees' (Erato LP), 'Nekuia' (Erato LP), and 'Anemoessa' (available on Globe Box 'Dutch Miracle'). Will they ever been transferred? I'm hoping soon.

From the High Classic Period (1973/5-1986/8) we have the short String Orchestra piece 'Pour les balienes' (samples at site), another wonderful string work from around the time of 'Shaar' and 'Tetras'.

'Pour Maurice' for baritone and piano, a short piece that inexplicably didn't show up on any Complete Piano Works disc- or even the Aki disc 'Works with Piano'- I mean, Philip Larson has been recording all the other vocal pieces. Oh well, I'll ask Brian at Mode.

'Chant des soliel' for childre'ns chorus and sets of identical brass, and percussion. Another apparently very interesting piece (no sample) that one can only imagine. I'd say there's good stuff here- why Schick hasn't offered this yet makes me wonder if they will put it with 'Alax', a very major piece heralding the transitional late style- also with three identical ensembles (at 26mins., one of X's longest).

'Nyuyo', for Japanese instruments, has one standard instrument recording (Cecile Deroux), but will most likely get the Mode treatment at some point.

XENAKIS 4:

From the 'Early Late' Period (1986/88-@1992/3) we have the Takemitsu memorial (DO check out the sample- there is a very beautiful section towards the end, MI), and the retrospective piece 'Mosiaques', which puts together sections from Orchestral Works 1986-1991 (not perhaps essential, but c;mon!).

Then we have this hour long curiosity of an oratorio, or what have you, 'The Bacchantes', for solo vocal (and reciting), chorus and ensemble. Given the sample, the hour might be taken up with a lot of talking, but, inquiring minds want to know.

We also need the two final Choral Works, the piece with the nonsense title for children's chorus, and 'Sea Nymphs' (available on YT I believe). The Hyperion disc came out before these were Composed.

XENAKIS 5:

From the very final phase we only have 'Koiranoi' (by now I really know how to spell it!), which, according to the sample, has one of those awesome X Chorales like he was cultivating in the final years. Xenakis's melody reminds me of the opening of the gates of King Kong or something- there is undeniable power and majesty in his melodic curve- X really seemed to love the chorale.

We also need new recordings of the ensemble works 'Plekto', 'Kai', and 'Kuillenn' (must be coming from Mode at some point).

snyprrr

Look at me! I've got nothing better to do with my life than Post endless drivel about dead guys? No wonder I have no date for the evening. >:( :laugh: :'( :P :blank:

Mirror Image

Quote from: sanantonio on February 16, 2014, 09:31:46 AM
Jonchaies

https://www.youtube.com/v/Gb-9j04PGN8

"The cornerstone of Xenakis's output is Jonchaies, written in 1977 in a very subjective style, as Xenakis himself would be the first to qualify. It calls for one hundred and nine musicians, with four flutes, oboes and bassoons, six clarinets and six horns, four trumpets and four trombones with a tuba, along with seventy strings massed against the wind and percussion. Although the strings are thus perfectly audible, Xenakis allows them no rein for sensuality or sentimentality, and forbids all vibrato; in fact, many of the parts are headed with a global warning against vibrato. The title Jonchaies (strewn branches) has no botanical allusions but refers to the structure of the piece and its densely interwoven polyphony which fluctuates like rushes spread out upon the ground."

Courtesy of Col Legno Records.

A brutal work, but I love every minute of it. :) Xenakis isn't for the faint of heart, but if a listener enjoys rhythms that bludgeon one over the head, then Jonchaies will be right up your alley. 8) Like Stravinsky and Bartok on a heavy dosage of PCP.

I still think Hiketides is Xenakis' finest orchestral work. What do you think about this work, SA?

Mirror Image

Quote from: sanantonio on February 16, 2014, 10:39:33 AM
You're right about the brutality of the work.  I want to listen to it when I am alone in the house so I can turn the volume up and get a better sense of the power of the music. 

If you have not visited this site before, it has a plethora of information about Xenakis and the music.

That's a great site for sure. I've visited there many times. I turned up the volume on Jonchaies whenever I was on a Xenakis kick and I even played it quite loudly for my mom who actually liked the work a lot. The louder the better is always preferred for Xenakis. 8)

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 16, 2014, 10:45:59 AM
That's a great site for sure. I've visited there many times. I turned up the volume on Jonchaies whenever I was on a Xenakis kick and I even played it quite loudly for my mom who actually liked the work a lot. The louder the better is always preferred for Xenakis. 8)

All the Mode cds have the Ziggy Stardust injunction- PLAY LOUD!

7/4

I have a shelf full of Xenakis CDs, this is a favorite:

I'm sure this has been mentioned before.

snyprrr

Quote from: 7/4 on February 17, 2014, 04:12:20 AM
I have a shelf full of Xenakis CDs, this is a favorite:

I'm sure this has been mentioned before.

That's the cover I have- love it- much better than the other two. I remember looking at that cover and thinking, Oo, boy does he look bad-ass... they all do with their suits like they're a daaangerous rock band, which, of course, they are! Like what King Krimson should have been- ok, they need to electrify, buuut!! 'Tetora' was so new back then and really had a strong new feel.

However, we never got Vol.2, how ever that would have come about, And Mode hasn't gotten around to the solos, duos, and trio yet- THAT should be something! Hopefully I'm not just projecting here, mm. The Arditti set has a drier, and dare I used the work 'brittle' (I mean it in the good way so don't ask!), whereas the JACK disc is a worthy update, sumptuously recorded.

The Arditti set is a time and a place that still seem a bit more exciting than now, mm?

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 16, 2014, 10:45:59 AM

What do you think of two of the most obscure works on the Timpani Box, the cosmic 'Emprientes' and the water-based 'Eridanos'? The latter is one of X's most Impressionistic works I believe, listen to the first minute and you might hear a glimpse of Satie!

snyprrr

Sea-Change (1997)

Symphony Orchestra of Bulgaria, Alkis Panayotopoulos (LYRA) lyra.gr studio52.gr

Here it is, Xenakis's Last Orchestral Work. It's available on a Greek CD entitled "Works for Orchestra by Greek Composers Vol.4", and you will most certainly be eagerly anticipation its arrival from the Birthplace of Democracy!

'Sea-Change' by the BBC SO, Premiered by Andrew Davies on July 23m 1997 at Albert Hall. What is curious is that the Official Xenakis Works List catalogues this piece as being 10 minutes, but, I recall a quote about how odd and short the "Proms" piece was. I always thought the quote referred to the 4 minute 'O-Mega', but, here too, the music lasts 3:56! So, either everyone plays this piece almost three times too fast, or there is an error higher up. Personally, from what I've heard, this piece could sound very cosmic indeed at 12 minutes (for a nice indulgent example).

There are three basic elements I hear: a Beethovenian 'octave-chord', which is later met with a reprise of the giant glissando from 'Metastaseis', and the brass chorale depicted in the Lutoslawski tribute piece for four brass. And there is a somewhat mournful Xenakis-melody in the cellos and basses that gives the piece an almost sad quality. Indeed, if this piece were played to the ten minutes called for, it would be probably the most cosmic piece ever written. Perhaps Xenakis meant for the notes to be played that slow, I don't know, but at the four minute running time, the piece does sound 'right'. But, much Late Xenakis seems to work at different tempi. Perhaps the enigma is what Xenakis intended? Is there anyone else who can comment?

Still, it is nice to have X's last statement for Orchestra, though, indeed, it is quite enigmatic, and over with before you know it. Poof! it's gone,... intention? Hmm...

EDIT:

I listened further, and this piece really does have a sadness to it. The effect is somewhat like the Ives piece, but with more independent strands, as if all the noise of the 20th century were carried along by a comet's tail. It's quite dismaying how quickly the piece ends. But it's interesting how one hears things from 'Metastaseis' and 'Waarg', little bits of Xenakis through time, as it were a scroll rolling up. The strings either stick on one tone, or cascade in that good old Xenakis glassdi way. At the climax point, all groups are just doing their own thing, as everything seems to be swept up into one tone,... always just one tone at the end...

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on February 17, 2014, 02:57:39 PM
What do you think of two of the most obscure works on the Timpani Box, the cosmic 'Emprientes' and the water-based 'Eridanos'? The latter is one of X's most Impressionistic works I believe, listen to the first minute and you might hear a glimpse of Satie!

I don't remember these works, but now that you mention it I'll check them out.

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 06, 2014, 04:46:24 PM
I don't remember these works, but now that you mention it I'll check them out.

Please do! they do tend to slip by the radar. I think you'll like 'Eridanos' (listen to is as "water music"- 'Eridanos' being one of the four rivers of Greek mythology).

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on March 07, 2014, 06:51:06 AM
Please do! they do tend to slip by the radar. I think you'll like 'Eridanos' (listen to is as "water music"- 'Eridanos' being one of the four rivers of Greek mythology).

I like the idea of 'water music'. :) Sounds cool. Kind of like Martin's orchestral suite The Four Elements. There's one movement titled L'eau and it's quite mesmerizing.

7/4

Quote from: sanantonio on March 07, 2014, 06:56:30 AM
On March 9th the JACK Quartet will perform all of the string quartets in Philadelphia.

http://www.bowerbird.org/newsite/events/140309/

http://www.youtube.com/v/5_iyJyy7S5U

Boy, I wish I could make that one. Even if I had the time, I couldn't afford the trip now.

snyprrr

Quote from: 7/4 on March 09, 2014, 06:25:35 AM
Boy, I wish I could make that one. Even if I had the time, I couldn't afford the trip now.

mm, missed it by thaaat much :'(

bhodges

A treat! From the Bowerbird concert in Philadelphia last month, here are the four Xenakis quartets  by the JACK Quartet, filmed by Bob Sweeney.

ST-4/1,080262 (1956-62)
http://vimeo.com/91465504

Tetras (1983)
http://vimeo.com/91571707

Tetora (1990)
http://vimeo.com/91376523

Ergma (1994)
http://vimeo.com/91567602

--Bruce