Schubert's Unfinished Symphony.

Started by vandermolen, October 31, 2016, 03:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

I like this recording:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spotted Horses

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 07, 2022, 06:35:36 PM
This is one of my favorite works, as I'm sure it is for many of y'all. What recordings do you like?

For me, I like Szell/Cleveland and Blomstedt/Dresden. Been listening to the Harnoncourt/RCO lately too, it's a bit longer (I think he takes all the repeats?)

I like Harnoncourt/Wiener Sinfoniker! Another favorite is the Karajan/Berlin recording from the 1960's.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

André

Walter NYP (Sony, very good stereo sound), Sinopoli Staatskapelle Dresden, Böhm WP, Giulini Chicago, Abbado COE, Karajan BP  (all DGG) are all superb. I think the first 4 cannot be ignored. In the box sets, Suitner and Abbado are tops.

Leo K.

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 08, 2022, 10:47:13 AM
I like Harnoncourt/Wiener Sinfoniker! Another favorite is the Karajan/Berlin recording from the 1960's.

The Harnoncourt/Wiener Sinfoniker is my top Schubert 8 since I first heard it in the late 80's. It has incredible power and great orchestral detail.

Jo498

Quote from: Leo K. on February 15, 2022, 06:34:50 AM
The Harnoncourt/Wiener Sinfoniker is my top Schubert 8 since I first heard it in the late 80's. It has incredible power and great orchestral detail.
I am flabbergasted by this description.
Unfortunately, I got rid of it years ago. I remember it as one of the most disappointing, even irritating recordings I encountered, and I am usually a fan of Harnoncourt's, even in his odd or mannered mode. It's all dreary shades of grey and little contrast between the movements, partly because the first ist too slow. As it seems to be a favorite of several others, I am almost tempted to revisit it somehow.

Have you heard the Concertgebouw recording from the early 1990s? I must have found this so clearly superior that I gave the older one away but I don't remember the Concertgebouw as a fav either.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Brahmsian

As much as I absolutely adore the Kertesz Vienna Philharmonic complete Schubert symphony cycle (marvelous if you like the brisker tempos in general), the recording of the Unfinished is a bit of a letdown.

However, I don't know if the letdown is more due to the recording dynamics/sound engineers or from Kertesz and the musicians?

The opening is WAY too pianissimo. Too quiet, you can barely hear the basses unless you crank it up at full volume.