Paul Badura-Skoda Plays Beethoven

Started by Todd, October 14, 2013, 06:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aquablob

I'll throw in another positive opinion of the PBS HIP LvB PS.  ;)

But I really liked the Brautigam, too. Not ready to declare a winner. I think I'll just enjoy them both!

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on October 15, 2013, 07:11:41 AM
On symphonyshare. It was the Appassionata on Westminster which I thought was very good.

Once I used to own a Westminster LP with Badura-Skoda´s Pathetique, Moonlight and Appassionata. I agree that they are very good, the Appassionata rather passioned. But in the long run I much prefer the more refined playing displayed his two later sets, of which I prefer the Astrée set because of the use of period instruments. Other than these I have a recording (on a pirate label) of a few of the sonatas, allegedly played by Badura-Skoda on period instruments - and sounding like him playing, but in another version than the Astrée set.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Brian

Quote from: Todd on October 14, 2013, 06:11:23 PMThe sound is almost on par with the essentially perfect sound evident in Penelope Crawford's late LvB disc.
Not the only "essentially perfect" thing about Penelope Crawford's CD.

Quote from: Todd on October 14, 2013, 06:11:23 PMPerhaps one downside is their mechanical noise, exaggerated perhaps by the obviously very close miking, but here, if anything, it adds a little pizazz to the proceedings. 

I've actually grown to like the mechanical noise. The only exception is if the pianist is clearly, for example, pressing the pedal once per bar so that it becomes a regular predictable "drumbeat".

Does PBS use the "mute" which Crawford uses so effectively in Opp. 109 and 111?
Man I hope that Naive or whoever has the Astree catalog now decides to reissue this set for less than $250...

prémont

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on October 15, 2013, 04:43:44 AM
These past few months I have slipped into countless Shakespearean soliloquies to decide whether to buy this set.

I guess the conclusion will be not a surprise.  :laugh:

You will do well, and you will never regret it.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Todd

Quote from: Brian on October 15, 2013, 08:02:08 AMNot the only "essentially perfect" thing about Penelope Crawford's CD.

If she gets to record the complete cycle, and everything else is as good as the last three, she could be the new lord of all things HIP in Beethoven.  I'm also hoping Andrea Lucchesini gets to record a HIP cycle as he stated he would like to do.  Maybe for 2020?

Quote from: Brian on October 15, 2013, 08:02:08 AMDoes PBS use the "mute" which Crawford uses so effectively in Opp. 109 and 111?

On occasion, yes, though not quite as dramatically.

Quote from: Brian on October 15, 2013, 08:02:08 AMMan I hope that Naive or whoever has the Astree catalog now decides to reissue this set for less than $250...

This is a JVC issue, not a Naive/Astree issue, so there is hope.  I'd be even more interested in seeing someone reissue all the Westminster recordings by PBS (and the Riefling cycle, of course).  Maybe for 2020?
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Quote from: Todd on October 15, 2013, 08:10:46 AM
If she gets to record the complete cycle, and everything else is as good as the last three, she could be the new lord of all things HIP in Beethoven.

Thanks for the info. I just found her page on the University of Michigan website, and was about to send her an email asking if she had plans for any more sonatas when I realized that my review's in her official bio. That made it feel kinda weird.

SonicMan46

Quote from: aquablob on October 15, 2013, 07:57:44 AM
I'll throw in another positive opinion of the PBS HIP LvB PS.  ;)

But I really liked the Brautigam, too. Not ready to declare a winner. I think I'll just enjoy them both!

TTT! after 8+ years!  Currently going through my Beethoven collection - have 5 Piano Sonata sets (Fischer, Gulda, & Kempff stereo on MIs), but now listening to the two 2 on Fortepianos w/ Badura-Skoda vs. Brautigam; use to slightly prefer RB and his McNulty copies vs. PBS and his 'noisy' original FPs but skipping through the first 4 discs of each box, the 'instrument mechanics' don't bother me as much - pretty even draw for me at the moment - have not listened to any other FP boxes, so would be curious of others' preferences.  Dave :)

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 22, 2022, 09:56:18 AM
TTT! after 8+ years!  Currently going through my Beethoven collection - have 5 Piano Sonata sets (Fischer, Gulda, & Kempff stereo on MIs), but now listening to the two 2 on Fortepianos w/ Badura-Skoda vs. Brautigam; use to slightly prefer RB and his McNulty copies vs. PBS and his 'noisy' original FPs but skipping through the first 4 discs of each box, the 'instrument mechanics' don't bother me as much - pretty even draw for me at the moment - have not listened to any other FP boxes, so would be curious of others' preferences.  Dave :)

Are you only interested in people who have recorded the whole sequence of 32?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on February 23, 2022, 02:06:25 AM
Are you only interested in people who have recorded the whole sequence of 32?

Hi Mandryka - in all honestly, yes 'complete boxes' - there are just too many good to outstanding selective recordings that date back into the last century up to the present time - just don't have the time to preview dozens of recordings nor the storage space left to add a bunch of CDs of these works - I'm happy w/ what I own.

Now there is an exception, i.e. Penelope Crawford - I do have the recordings below (attached an impressive review plus an interview w/ our own Brian - worth a read to anyone).  My attractions are several: 1) I like the label Musica Omnia w/ Peter Watchorn; and 2) She teaches at the U of Michigan, Ann Arbor - my undergrad and medical school Alma Mater.  Unless I decide to replace a box then probably won't add more - thanks for your usual interest.  Dave :)