Ivan Moravec

Started by Zhiliang, July 08, 2008, 08:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: Daverz on July 08, 2008, 03:38:08 PM

That Schumann is one of the very best performances available, must-have Moravec IMO! :)

Q

Peregrine

Here's some live Chopin from the Royal Festival Hall a few years ago (IIRC):

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=8517fa91b1f0f371d5a101cf914073b41feb111556d1b4d4
Yes, we have no bananas

Holden

Moravec is a great pianist and musician and he seems to very rarely produce a clunker.  Yes, his Nocturnes are outstanding and while I also love the Rubinstein, Moravec's approach is different and works. I can't think of how I would better either of these performances.

I also have him playing LvB 8, 14, 26 and 27. Somehow the much vaunted 23 isn't there but he'd have to be so good to beat Richter, Gilels '60, or Rubinstein '45 so I'll wait until ebay drops its crazy price for the Appassionata. If anyone here has heard the others and can vouch for the Moravec then I might change my mind.

I've got 2 Moravec LvB 4ths with Turnovsky and Ancerl - not the Behlolavek. The Turnovsky is an absolute stand out so is the Behlolavek that much better?

BTW, his LvB Op 90 is the best I've heard of this work!
Cheers

Holden

RebLem

One of my favorites has been deleted, apparently, but if you ever find Praga PR 254 004, snap it up.  Its an all Prokofiev disc by the Czech Philharmonic conducted by Karel Ancerl with Ivan Moravec doing the First Piano Concerto.  It is the best performance of that work I have ever heard.  Also on the CD are the Classical Symphony, the Scythian Suite, and a short 8:21 piece called "Seven They are, Akkadian Incantation, Op. 30 with tenor Jaroslav Kachel.
"Don't drink and drive; you might spill it."--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father.

jwinter

Bump :)

I've been really enjoying Moravec's Chopin over the past week or so since I discovered it, and I just put in a largish order at Tower.com for several of his other CDs.  It seems amazing to me that somebody this good, who's been playing for so long, should be so completely under the radar, while my local Borders is solely stocked with Chopin from airbrushed Chinese teenagers.  I tells ya, there ain't no justice!   $:)
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Josquin des Prez

His Beethoven and Mozart are amazing. He's a brilliant pianist all around. I particularly like his appassionata, which i personally find unmatched.

Novi

For those of you in the area, you may wish to consider this recital at the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées in April:

IVAN MORAVEC, Piano

Schumann : Kinderszenen (Scènes d’enfants) op. 15
Beethoven : Sonate n° 23 en fa mineur op. 57 « Appassionata »
Debussy : Les sons et les parfums tournent dans l’air du soir
Children’s Corner
Chopin : Ballade n° 4 en fa mineur op. 52
Ballade n° 1 en sol mineur op. 23

http://www.theatrechampselysees.fr/saison-detail.php?t=5&s=127

The timing sucks for me as I can't leave the country at that time :'(.  Check out the programme ...
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

aquablob

Quote from: jwinter on February 03, 2009, 11:54:50 AM
Bump :)

I've been really enjoying Moravec's Chopin over the past week or so since I discovered it, and I just put in a largish order at Tower.com for several of his other CDs.  It seems amazing to me that somebody this good, who's been playing for so long, should be so completely under the radar, while my local Borders is solely stocked with Chopin from airbrushed Chinese teenagers.  I tells ya, there ain't no justice!   $:)

Yeah, he's pretty much amazing (see the avatar!).

All 3 of his recordings of the 4th ballade are among my favorites, the best being the one paired with the 2nd sonata and Op. 49 Fantaisie. His preludes are great, his nocturnes are the best, his scherzi are excellent, his ballades are also terrific, as is his Polonaise-Fantaisie. Every one of his recordings that I've heard blows me away.

His Debussy and Mozart are also excellent; I'm looking forward to hearing his Beethoven.

George

*waits patiently for his box set to arrive*

0:)

ezodisy

Quote from: Novi on February 03, 2009, 12:11:18 PM
IVAN MORAVEC, Piano

Schumann : Kinderszenen (Scènes d'enfants) op. 15
Beethoven : Sonate n° 23 en fa mineur op. 57 « Appassionata »
Debussy : Les sons et les parfums tournent dans l'air du soir
Children's Corner
Chopin : Ballade n° 4 en fa mineur op. 52
Ballade n° 1 en sol mineur op. 23

he's been playing that programme and a shorter variation of it for years now. I saw part of it during a lunchtime recital in London a few years back and found the Debussy pieces the most impressive. He's really good at that music.

SonicMan46

Quote from: George on February 03, 2009, 12:22:17 PM
*waits patiently for his box set to arrive*

0:)

George - LOL  ;D  - we, among others, are certainly waiting for MDT to DELIVER!  ;) Dave

Dancing Divertimentian

Another fine recording that deserves mention is this rarity from Dorian. It's prime Moravec in sumptuous sound.

As small as Moravec's discography is it's a real shame this recording languishes OOP.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Que on July 08, 2008, 08:56:43 PM
That Schumann is one of the very best performances available, must-have Moravec IMO! :)

Q

I agree with this, Q. :)
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

George

Quote from: donwyn on February 03, 2009, 05:55:59 PM
I agree with this, Q. :)

As do I. Supraphon should have included this disc in their box set.  :-\

Herman

Quote from: donwyn on February 03, 2009, 05:55:16 PM
Another fine recording that deserves mention is this rarity from Dorian. It's prime Moravec in sumptuous sound.

As small as Moravec's discography is it's a real shame this recording languishes OOP.

Ages ago I picked that one up from a used bin. What's so special about them is that Moravec's omterp of the Scherzi is 100% classical and restrained. This sounds dull compared to some of the fireworks you can get in the Scherzi, but it's really very exciting.

Mandryka

Is this a great recommended Moravec album? -- I'm interested mainly in the Haydn.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

Quote from: Mandryka on February 04, 2009, 07:12:19 AM
Is this a great recommended Moravec album? -- I'm interested mainly in the Haydn.

I haven't heard it yet, but to me a recommended Moravec CD is one with his name on it.  8)

Mandryka

Quote from: George on February 04, 2009, 07:14:11 AM
I haven't heard it yet, but to me a recommended Moravec CD is one with his name on it.  8)

I agree he's very good -- I'm tempted to go see him in Paris in April.

You can easily get that Supraphon box from Amazon dealers -- cheaper than MDT too, and it came very quickly. I got mine for £22.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

Quote from: Mandryka on February 04, 2009, 11:26:13 AM
I agree he's very good -- I'm tempted to go see him in Paris in April.

That would be interesting. I've never heard his Basie.  ;D

You can easily get that Supraphon box from Amazon dealers -- cheaper than MDT too, and it came very quickly. I got mine for £22.

Actually, mine was $20 shipped from MDT. They had a sale that ended recently.

aquablob