Ivan Moravec

Started by Zhiliang, July 08, 2008, 08:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: aquariuswb on February 21, 2009, 08:54:40 AM
Yeah, seriously... I want his Appassionata. Anybody??

Well, he's playing it in Paris Mid April -- I can't go as I'm not in Europe then.

But maybe the concert's being broadcast.

Quote from: dirkronk on February 21, 2009, 10:52:22 AM
Like that one, do you, Mandryka? I've always thought it rather quirky, myself...at least in comparison, say, to Annie Fischer's classic take of the 3rd with Fricsay.

Yeah -- it's obvious you guys on this forum are well into Annie Fischer -- to be honest she's not someone I'd payed a lot of attention to before. But the amount of positive vibes about her I get on this forum, and the bits I've heard on youtube, make me very curious.

Only problem is her Beethoven Sonatas cost an arm and a leg.

Re Moravec 3rd PC -- two points.

First, after having had it for just a couple of days, I can say I'm well hacked off with the sound. I can tolerate piano on MP3, but not orchestra.

And second -- why quirky? I have two other recordings -- Moiseivitch and Gould. I'll compare and contrast and evaluate for quirk value sometime.

Besides -- quirky's good  >:D
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

David Hurwitz explains here why the Appassionata was not included in the Superaphon Beethoven reissue.

Apparently it was Moravec's idea, due to comment made by an undisclosed critic about an omitted repeat in the finale. Moravec has said he would like to re-record the sonata at a later date. 

Not being one who likes to gamble, I bought the VAI CD today:

8)

aquablob

Quote from: George on February 22, 2009, 06:39:54 AM
David Hurwitz explains here why the Appassionata was not included in the Superaphon Beethoven reissue.

Apparently it was Moravec's idea, due to comment made by an undisclosed critic about an omitted repeat in the finale. Moravec has said he would like to re-record the sonata at a later date. 

Not being one who likes to gamble, I bought the VAI CD today:

8)

That's so GEORGE of you!

George

Quote from: aquariuswb on February 22, 2009, 07:30:28 AM
That's so GEORGE of you!

I could have bought that CD a few years back for regular price ($15 or so, used), but for some reason I didn't. Just dropped $50 on a new copy - lesson learned.  ::)

dirkronk

Quote from: Mandryka on February 22, 2009, 05:05:40 AM
Yeah -- it's obvious you guys on this forum are well into Annie Fischer -- to be honest she's not someone I'd payed a lot of attention to before. But the amount of positive vibes about her I get on this forum, and the bits I've heard on youtube, make me very curious.
Only problem is her Beethoven Sonatas cost an arm and a leg.

I've been an Annie Fischer fan for a long time, and her Beethoven 3rd with Fricsay/Bavarian SO is a big reason why (that and its original LP-mate recordings of Mozart's rondos K382 and K386, which are even more beautiful). And although I recommend her sonata cycle on Hungaraton, I'm most fond of her renditions of the lesser played items and not quite so effusive in my praise of her "big name" sonatas as others here: I'm not totally sold on her Appassionata or Waldstein, for instance, although her Pathetique (on either Hungaraton or EMI) almost always elicits my admiration.

Quote from: Mandryka on February 22, 2009, 05:05:40 AM
Re Moravec 3rd PC -- two points.
First, after having had it for just a couple of days, I can say I'm well hacked off with the sound. I can tolerate piano on MP3, but not orchestra.
And second -- why quirky? I have two other recordings -- Moiseivitch and Gould. I'll compare and contrast and evaluate for quirk value sometime.
Besides -- quirky's good  >:D

I agree. Quirky is--or certainly can be--good. Early on as a classical listener, I was never a big LvB 3rd PC lover, preferring the 4th and 5th, even though I had been exposed to plenty of options--Kempff/Leitner, Richter, Fleisher, Solomon, Gilels/Szell and several others, including Moravec/Neumann when it first came out on Supraphon LP in 1980. Compared to the other pianists, whose approach seemed rather fluid and in rhythmic progression with the orchestra, Moravec played a more staccato style, at least in the first movement, and there seemed to be a syncopation AGAINST the orchestral play, especially in the late 1st movement leading up to the cadenza. Hence my characterization of the performance as "quirky"--especially since Moravec's approach here seemed to run counter to what I'd learned to expect from him in the 4th, where he kept things much more standard in his playing style...or so I interpreted it. When I finally heard Annie Fischer/Fricsay, it seemed to take the straightforward approach of the other pianists and raise it to the highest level, and it became a "best of its kind" for me. However, it should tell you something that--quirky or no--the Moravec 3rd has remained on my collection shelves for about 28 years now, while many other versions have gone bye-bye.
;D

Cheers,

Dirk

Mandryka

Dirkronk

Thanks for such a full reply -- I'll order the Fischer and listen to the Moravec again with what you said in mind.

rubio

Quote from: Mandryka on February 22, 2009, 11:54:01 PM
Dirkronk

Thanks for such a full reply -- I'll order the Fischer and listen to the Moravec again with what you said in mind.

It's only available in this rare set, I think.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Beethoven-Vol-Historical-Recordings/dp/B000001GZN/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1235390259&sr=1-2

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Mandryka

dirkronk

Quote from: rubio on February 23, 2009, 03:00:49 AM
It's only available in this rare set, I think.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Beethoven-Vol-Historical-Recordings/dp/B000001GZN/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1235390259&sr=1-2

Rubio and George are right. The version on Palexa (I have it, as well) is a live version with the same forces, and it's not bad, but it's the one on DGG that you really want to hear. The good news is, if you decide to pop for the multi-disc set, that's a VERY good one to have, with several worthy historical performances: notably the Wolfsthal/Gurlitt violin concerto (one of the really great interps), the Scneiderhan/Kempff "spring" & Kulenkampff/Kempff "kreutzer" sonatas, the Busch 9th, the Kempff/Raabe "emperor"...to say nothing of the rather odd (though welcome) inclusion of Mozart PC#20 with Richter (who uses the Beethoven cadenza...DGG's rationalization for including it in a Beethoven box!).

Cheers,

Dirk

Mandryka

Thank you everyone -- this forum really can work!

George

Quote from: Mandryka on February 23, 2009, 09:39:15 AM
Thank you everyone -- this forum really can work!

Unfortunately that set is now selling for more than the Annie Fischer LvB Sonatas box.  :-\

dirkronk

Quote from: George on February 23, 2009, 09:40:50 AM
Unfortunately that set is now selling for more than the Annie Fischer LvB Sonatas box.  :-\

Egad, George. You're right. And US folks, watch out for the Amazon-listed dealer in Texas who's advertising the $45 "used" price...read the description and you realize he's selling ONLY CD#3 from the set, not the entire thing! No bargain at all, that.

Those interested, start watching the price lists...we'll keep our fingers crossed that some copies show up at more reasonable rates.

Dirk

AB68

I think I'll have to go to Paris to hear him in april.
I had tickets to his Edinburgh concert last year, but he had to cancel due to illness. It was a major disapointment.
God knows how many more chances there will be to hear him live, isn't he close to 80?

Novi

Quote from: AB68 on March 04, 2009, 03:30:37 AM
I think I'll have to go to Paris to hear him in april.
I had tickets to his Edinburgh concert last year, but he had to cancel due to illness. It was a major disapointment.
God knows how many more chances there will be to hear him live, isn't he close to 80?

You too? It was incredibly disappointing. As much as I like Steven Osborne who stepped in, when you've been looking forward to Moravec's op. 23, Osborne and a handful of Messiaen doesn't quite cut it :-\. I did enjoy his jazzy Waldstein, unconventional though it was.

This was the second time that Moravec's had to cancel here in the past few years. I wonder whether there are some underlying health problems, but as you say, he is getting on.

Hope you (and he) make it to Paris :).
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Brian

Echoing David Hurwitz here: somebody needs to give Ivan Moravec all the fee he demands, put him in a state-of-the-art recording studio for a month with a piano to his specifications and free catering, and let the man play whatever the hell he wants for as long as he wants.

George

Quote from: Brian on March 04, 2009, 03:23:11 PM
Echoing David Hurwitz here: somebody needs to give Ivan Moravec all the fee he demands, put him in a state-of-the-art recording studio for a month with a piano to his specifications and free catering, and let the man play whatever the hell he wants for as long as he wants.

Now your talking!  $:)

AB68

Quote from: Novi on March 04, 2009, 03:17:14 PM
You too? It was incredibly disappointing. As much as I like Steven Osborne who stepped in, when you've been looking forward to Moravec's op. 23, Osborne and a handful of Messiaen doesn't quite cut it :-\. I did enjoy his jazzy Waldstein, unconventional though it was.

I know what you mean. I think it was great of Osborne to step in on short notice, but I wasn't really able to enjoy the concert.
And the day after the Dresden Staatskapelle  cancelled too. I didn't feel it was a lucky week for me  :D

dirkronk

Quote from: Brian on March 04, 2009, 03:23:11 PM

I like the way you think, Brian. Now if we can only find that musically inclined entrepreneur...
;D

Dirk

Brian

Quote from: dirkronk on March 04, 2009, 04:11:20 PM
I like the way you think, Brian. Now if we can only find that musically inclined entrepreneur...
;D

Dirk
Harry comes to mind  :)